Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lawrenson and Ward

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How anyone can say Ward was one of our best ever two players is beyond me.

You only have to look at Bobby Zamora for a better player - scored for fun in the lower leagues, then helped us maintain Championship status. Got his move to Spurs where it didn't work out, West Ham where it did. Also had his moments at QPR but in between at Fulham he played in the Europa League final. The final.

Best striker I've seen at the club. Then Murray, then Robinson, then Ward.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Maybe there should be two lists: best ever players and favourite players.
Mark Lawrenson would be in my first list along with around seven of the current squad, plus Bruno, Cucurella and two from another time.
Wardy an absolute favourite - and a very good player - alongside Nobby Horton, Sully and we can all choose others from our own golden era.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The standard of football in that clip is shocking. No way in the world you would be able to run into space like that in today’s game. Imagine Trossard or Welbeck being given that much space. It’s a great finish though.

Anyone saying Ward is our best ever player is talking nonsense. We have at least 3 better attackers in our current squad, which is one that is supposedly short of a decent striker.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I think everyone is correct that Ward is probably not making our best ever 11 based on his record which was mainly in the lower leagues. But my god, that division 3 promotion with Ward and Mullery. The games under the lights at a packed goldstone, undoubtedly some of my best football memories. Ward will always be a legend to me for those nights.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think everyone is correct that Ward is probably not making our best ever 11 based on his record which was mainly in the lower leagues. But my god, that division 3 promotion with Ward and Mullery. The games under the lights at a packed goldstone, undoubtedly some of my best football memories. Ward will always be a legend to me for those nights.

Indeed :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thanks very much , having read the match report certainly seems like the one , but how on earth could i forget winning 7-2 and scoring 5 in the second half !

I was flying back from Italy as a 15 year old that day and missed it…. Famous match those though

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Great nights

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I remember Wardy scored a cracking goal in a 1-0 home win against Man Utd. I think he was back on a loan spell at that time.
Its on Youtube somewhere.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
The standard of football in that clip is shocking. No way in the world you would be able to run into space like that in today’s game. Imagine Trossard or Welbeck being given that much space. It’s a great finish though.

Anyone saying Ward is our best ever player is talking nonsense. We have at least 3 better attackers in our current squad, which is one that is supposedly short of a decent striker.

I think it is you talking nonsense,name these centre forwards who were better than wardy?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I think it is you talking nonsense,name these centre forwards who were better than wardy?

Remember the chants...."Ward is better than Francis"....."he shot he scored it must be Peter ward"......Lawrenson prob the best player we had and sadly couldn`t keep.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Trossard. Gross. Welbeck. Even Maupay. All have made a far bigger success than Ward did in the top division.

Welbeck has 16 in 42 for England. Are you honestly claiming that Ward was a better player? (His England record was one appearance, no goals).

The fact is Brighton are a far, far better side today than they were in those days, with far better players.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Trossard. Gross. Welbeck. Even Maupay. All have made a far bigger success than Ward did in the top division.

Welbeck has 16 in 42 for England. Are you honestly claiming that Ward was a better player? (His England record was one appearance, no goals).

The fact is Brighton are a far, far better side today than they were in those days, with far better players.

Brighton are indeed a better side than then.... But Ward played for England when playing for Brighton . Maybe wrong but was Foster the only other player to play for England whilst at Brighton.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

how many times has Welbeck been selected for England since being a Brighton player?

your probably one of those that thinks modern day footballers are better no matter what

cruyff Maradona,Zidane haven't seen any player better than them since and there's been an awful lot try

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
how many times has Welbeck been selected for England since being a Brighton player?

your probably one of those that thinks modern day footballers are better no matter what

cruyff Maradona,Zidane haven't seen any player better than them since and there's been an awful lot try

Check out Messi’s goal scoring record at Barca. Him and Ronaldo are 100% better than Cruyff (one of the all time overrated players along with Pele) and Zidane and they’re actually better than Maradona too because he ****ed a lot of his career with bad life choices. Messi & Ronaldo are the perfect pros.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Welbeck's England career was limited by injuries, which have only just been sorted. He'd have a good chance now if he was young. That he's no longer an option for England, doesn't mean he's not a good player.

Missing Messi and Ronaldo from your list suggests that your one of those nostalgic fellas that think everything was better in the past.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Let's not forget Brian Horton too. I think that team lost a part of its soul when he was sold.
Lawrenson was absolute class.
Ward was pure excitement. Probably not the complete striker but absolutely terrorised div 3 defenders and for his record breaking season will always be a legend.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Let's not forget Brian Horton too. I think that team lost a part of its soul when he was sold.
Lawrenson was absolute class.
Ward was pure excitement. Probably not the complete striker but absolutely terrorised div 3 defenders and for his record breaking season will always be a legend.

Indeed - I think Brian Horton was the best all round player we`ve had since the early seventies. Baffling why we sold him and he was replaced with Grealish I think.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here