Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ++++ latest odds ++++

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's beginning to look like we are the chunky bridesmaid at 5 to midnight, at the wedding reception.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
It's beginning to look like we are the chunky bridesmaid at 5 to midnight, at the wedding reception.

It's to early to say for sure at the moment, however I think most people are starting to think, is this down to budgets.

It might be that the names being mentioned have not turned us down and are waiting anxiously for that call, however the longer it goes on, the more likely the questions will be asked. I think if it is down to budget, then why not have Calderon and Jones and have done with.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
It's to early to say for sure at the moment, however I think most people are starting to think, is this down to budgets.

It might be that the names being mentioned have not turned us down and are waiting anxiously for that call, however the longer it goes on, the more likely the questions will be asked. I think if it is down to budget, then why not have Calderon and Jones and have done with.

The longer it goes on, the more i think this will happen.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I also have that horrible fear it could be Jones and again think budget or lack of has played a part in limiting our choice. Hope to be massively wrong.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'd have expected "first round" last week.

Final two will have been notified by Fri Eve and have had the weekend to think about it. Then back in today tomorrow for "second round".

In the background, agents, lawyers and accountants will have thrashed out contracts on an "if you were to be offered the job" basis, so that signatures could be added tomorrow or wednesday.

However impatient the fans are, ultimately this is someone's career and it won't be a decision taken at the interview. There'll be a whole package of benefits just like any other senior job that will need to be discussed and agreed - with appropriate time to mull over/ discuss with family/ etc.

I'm sure at this exact moment Tony knows who he wants it to be and Paul knows who he wants it to be (and they may not agree) but much contractual to-and-fro action to happen before it can be announced.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
People panicking far too much about this so called lack of budget.

As teams go in this league we are still top half for budget.

There are loads of managers out of work and people wanting to be given a go... really you think the like of Sherwood or anyone of those mentioned for that matter would turn us down because the budget isnt a top6 budget for example ?

Come on get real, these people want to be in work. And our job is a very very attractive one.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I also have that horrible fear it could be Jones and again think budget or lack of has played a part in limiting our choice. Hope to be massively wrong.

This would be worse than getting some journeyman like Dowie or Jewell

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I actually think we could do a lot worse than Nathan Jones. He would be cheap, he would be keen, and he already knows the players.

He would also work happily under Burke. Yes it might take him a season to adjust, but personally I'd rather have a manager who is going to stay with us for a few seasons than someone who is going to jump ship. All of the names mentioned would be using us a stepping stone in their career. I suspect Jones's stepping stone would be bigger than Sherwood's.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Jones would be a disaster. Yes, there is more chance of him staying longer, but that is only because nobody will want him once he follows the Tinselhead pattern of results, which IIRC was:

WDLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL sacked.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I actually think we could do a lot worse than Nathan Jones. He would be cheap, he would be keen, and he already knows the players.

He would also work happily under Burke. Yes it might take him a season to adjust, but personally I'd rather have a manager who is going to stay with us for a few seasons than someone who is going to jump ship. All of the names mentioned would be using us a stepping stone in their career. I suspect Jones's stepping stone would be bigger than Sherwood's.

Surely you don't appoint on the basis that the manager wont see you as a stepping stone. I want someone with ambition and drive who wants to do better rather than someone who lacks quality but is grateful.

Stumpy Tim

I got three Thumbs Down for saying this last week. I would have no problem with Jones as manager

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

The only flaw in your argument is that Barber said they had a high calibre shortlist. Jones by any stretch of the imagination can not be thought of as high calibre.

Also if Bloom is serious about getting us into the Premier League and staying there I would guess Jones wouldn't fit the bill.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

If someone gets us promoted, I don't mind if they then jump ship. Teams like Swansea and Norwich lost their managers after a few seasons, but at least they got there, and had a few years at the top.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Surely you don't appoint on the basis that the manager wont see you as a stepping stone. I want someone with ambition and drive who wants to do better rather than someone who lacks quality but is grateful.

Totally agree. And if you have someone who might use you as a stepping stone, they would have to do fairly well to get themselves noticed.

The other possibility would be to take someone on who is young enough and talented enough to fulfil all their ambitions with us by staying for the long term. Arsene Wenger was probably "out of left field" when appointed by Arsenal, and he hasn't done too badly........ admittedly Arsenal were already an established top club when he joined, but if someone was appointed by us tomorrow who could get us promoted in the fairly near future, the world could be their oyster just by staying put.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I got three Thumbs Down for saying this last week. I would have no problem with Jones as manager

I quite like him as a coach enthusiastic, young,and seems to be Brighton through and through
but and its a big but I can't get past the fact that he is WELSH
but if he should get the job then I would support him to the hilt

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Someone has had a few pennies on David Jones tonight. In from 40/1 to 28's with SkyBet. Unless of course, they got in a pickle and meant to click on Nathan Jones? ???

The Jones boys as Manager and assistant? :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here