Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Largest gathering of Blue & White in recent times? - Until the Donny game that is...

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Picture 062.jpg
    Picture 062.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 542
  • P5300041.JPG
    P5300041.JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 548

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes and even then proof that a resurgent Albion could/would attract fans in high numbers. What a wonderful day that was!

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I was towards the back of the third tier - what a day that was. Cant wait to see photos of the West and the rest of the stadium packed to the rafters.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
It certainly was!...If you were honest though didn't we steal it just a little with Leons pen? My recollection was that Brizzle were the better side on the day for much of the game.

Didn't spoil the enjoyment after though:thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ello Shankley, don't recall seeing you round here for a while, how's you?

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Yeah. I know there were differing views of the game at the time. I think it was pretty even for one half and Brizzle shaded it for another half. To be honest I'd been drinking in Cardiff since 10am that day so it was all a bit hazy.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
It certainly was!...If you were honest though didn't we steal it just a little with Leons pen? My recollection was that Brizzle were the better side on the day for much of the game.

Didn't spoil the enjoyment after though:thumbsup:

Ahh the joy when Leon put it away. Whirling shirt tossed so lightly. Bit like a world cup Maradonna. All muscles and 'Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaahhhh Grrrrr' face.

It was, apart from that, one of the most tedious games in the world EVER.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I heard that Danny Cullip won the game for Brighton in the tunnel before the game!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
was the best day for me back then, and got the wife to record it, got back home at midnight ish and watch it all over again from the interviews too lol.

still got that video some where must dig it out ;)

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Ello Shankley, don't recall seeing you round here for a while, how's you?

I'm fine thanks Phil - yes its been a few years but I always planned to take up season tickets again when we got to a decent stadium. I feel a bit of a JCL as a result but I did endure a number of Withdean winters! I've got ST's in the North Stand for me and the lad. It will be an emotional first match at Falmer after all this time without a proper home. Gutted it won't be Donny for me as we're away but I pursuded the missus to leave holiday early to get back for the Blackpool game! Can't wait.

How you doing?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I've not heard that, tell me more ?
Was told from somebody involved with the team back then that Cullip was it his scariest best in the tunnel! He lead the team out into the tunnel and then, in Tony Adams style turned round to the boys in front of the city players shouting things like "look they are nervous" and "this is our day".

Obviously i wasnt in the tunnel but have no reason to dis-believe the person that told me. He just described Cullip as at his inspirational best that day.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Was told from somebody involved with the team back then that Cullip was it his scariest best in the tunnel! He lead the team out into the tunnel and then, in Tony Adams style turned round to the boys in front of the city players shouting things like "look they are nervous" and "this is our day".

Obviously i wasnt in the tunnel but have no reason to dis-believe the person that told me. He just described Cullip as at his inspirational best that day.
Aye, sounds about right, he was indeed inspiring. A born leader.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Was it your house that I picked one up from ?

No, Samrah and I packed them away in his car and he took them all away and distributed them to various places for collection

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Cracking day that was, although on a technical point there WILL have been more Albion fans in the Millennium Stadium (around 30k) than we'll have at The Amex for the Donny game. Once the extra seats go in, mind ... :thumbsup:

Edit: post above just beat me to it :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
By way of answering the original question, it would have been the largest gathering for many years (since Wembley 1991), as the capacity of the Goldstone was slashed from 29,000 in the late 80s to around 11,000 by the time of the Dark Period. 1988-89 saw a crowd of 26,000 for an FA Cup match against Arsenal, and crowds of 13,000+ in the league once promotion became a realistic option. The final gate of that season was just short of 20k against Bristol Rovers.

After that day, the restriction on capacity (and events on and off the pitch) saw crowds drop off, with the only peaks really coming in the games including and immediately after the Fans United match, where there were a few of 10,000 plus (ahem) as we miraculously escaped relegation. The remaining years have, of course, been spent in the confines of the Pissfield or Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here