PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Controversial take maybe but I think there is adequate cover for him. When the team finished last season with five wins, two draws and one loss (and 16 goals scored) in the final eight games, Lallana barely played (only three short sub appearances).

Instead, Gross was playing in that role and did it very well in nearly every game. This, as I see it, is the best solution. Stop cuddling with Alexis and drop him back in the DMC/MC position, move Gross further up the field and I don't think Lallanas absence would be a biggie.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Controversial take maybe but I think there is adequate cover for him. When the team finished last season with five wins, two draws and one loss (and 16 goals scored) in the final eight games, Lallana barely played (only three short sub appearances).

Instead, Gross was playing in that role and did it very well in nearly every game. This, as I see it, is the best solution. Stop cuddling with Alexis and drop him back in the DMC/MC position, move Gross further up the field and I don't think Lallanas absence would be a biggie.

Agree to an extent about having adequate cover, but not sure the comparison to last season is that relevant.

Lallana is/was more important to RDZ's system than he was to Potter's. When he's fit, the number ten role Alexis was playing in yesterday is his. Whereas under Potter he didn't have a fixed position (as with most of the team I suppose), and as you say, he wasn't a guaranteed starter. Can't be arsed to find the quote but RDZ name checked him as one of his most important players.

We definitely look better with Lallana in the eleven, Leicester away before & after he came off is a great example of this. Between Gross, Mac Allister & Sarmiento we can probably get away with it for the rest of the season, but it's still a big loss IMO. I think we'll bring in Maxime Lopez from Sassuolo as his replacement in the summer.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Welcome back, Swansman.

I agree. Ally Mac is best for us alongside Moisés in a deeper role, allowing Gross to work his magic further up the pitch.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Welcome back, Swansman.

I agree. Ally Mac is best for us alongside Moisés in a deeper role, allowing Gross to work his magic further up the pitch.
Agree with the welcome back and that AliMac is best in the deeper role alongside Moises, but I prefer Sarmiento in that advanced role :thumbsup:

And I think one or two other very young South Americans have their eye on that position :wink:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Agree with the welcome back and that AliMac is best in the deeper role alongside Moises, but I prefer Sarmiento in that advanced role :thumbsup:

And I think one or two other very young South Americans have their eye on that position :wink:
I hope one of the South Americans grows into that role too. Right now though none of the have proven themselves to have the vision, delivery and guile of Gross.

They, of course, have other attributes but right now Pascal is top dog.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I hope one of the South Americans grows into that role too. Right now though none of the have proven themselves to have the vision, delivery and guile of Gross.

They, of course, have other attributes but right now Pascal is top dog.
Well if Pascal told me he wanted to play there, I wouldn't argue :wink:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Welcome back, Swansman.

Apart from his missed chances one of big positives in last 2 games is the number of times Mac has got in scoring positions. If he can keep this up am sure he will come good

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Lallana on crutches, with a cast around his right leg.

Out for the rest of the season, could this potentially be the end of his career and a move into coaching at the end of the season

Is it confirmed that he's out for the rest of the season?

Any idea what is the injury?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Such a shame. We’ve always done well when we’ve had the ‘inspirational older guy who’s also very good’. Calde, Bruno, Lallana. Feels like we’ll need to buy one in. Not sure who it would be though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Lallana retires and we lose Caicedo & MacAllister this summer we will need to spend some money on capable and experienced replacements if we lost all 3 in the same transfer window
It’s possible that we’ll only need one new midfielder purchase.

I’m a big Alzate fan and think that he can take Lallana’s role. Moder and Ayari can fight over Mac’s deeper playmaker role whilst Sarmiento or Buenonotte can compete for his No.10 position.

That just leaves a replacement for Caicedo. Perhaps Amadou Haidara or Maxime Lopez?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Such a shame. We’ve always done well when we’ve had the ‘inspirational older guy who’s also very good’. Calde, Bruno, Lallana. Feels like we’ll need to buy one in. Not sure who it would be though.
Kishishev did this excellently too.

Erm… Phil Stant?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Mac is staying and he’s tipped the wink for messi to take over lallana’s spot dunno if he’s good enough to lace adams boots mind you but we live in hope

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here