• Neither

Votes: 11 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I know little about either so will have to trust Uncle Tony on this one. I knew little about Potter when he was given the job, so I'm basing my trust on how that turned out :thumbsup:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The thing about Roberto is that he is out of work and so why shouldn’t he express his interest.
Yes, Knutsen is also a great coach but he is in a job in Norway where he has lived all his life. So in his early 50s, will he be keen to uproot his family and come.
It’s not just about what we want, it’s about a candidate’s desire to come here.
Roberto hasn’t been knocking on Bournemouth’s door to join them, so he’s not that desperate.
The other thing is that he would come without any compensation being due. He wasn’t sacked in his last job, and has shown ambition previously by going to the Ukraine from Italy.
He has a style which seems to fit us and he seems quite passionate which I like. Perhaps a good antidote to Potter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Which former River Plate managers, or Boca for that matter, have moved directly to a top European club?

Not many. And even fewer of them moved to small PL clubs.

If you do well in one of those clubs, you generally go on to manage the Argentina national team. If you don't do well, you're gone in three months. The Gallardo situation is pretty unique - he is the longest serving manager in River Plate since the 50s or 60s and with good margin. In Boca Juniors they've had exactly one manager lasting three years at the job during the last 40 years. Not really much to compare with.

I don't think it s a wee bit realistic he'd leave River Plate and Buenos Aires for Brighton, its a very eurocentric belief - football is very big in Argentina and River Plate is as big as it gets. It would be similar to Brighton poaching the manager of Milan, Juve or Inter.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Had to Google a Boston Pancake. Wish I didn't, can feel my breakfast regurgitating :sick:

However Google Cameron Diaz and you'll get a far better result :love:

River Plate plays in front of 70,000 mad fans. Can't see it happening personally.

https://youtu.be/E42dV-GEOXg

I think the idea was to poach their manager, not their 70 000 fans. Not until we build the monorail anyway.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The thing about Roberto is that he is out of work and so why shouldn’t he express his interest.
Yes, Knutsen is also a great coach but he is in a job in Norway where he has lived all his life. So in his early 50s, will he be keen to uproot his family and come.
It’s not just about what we want, it’s about a candidate’s desire to come here.
Roberto hasn’t been knocking on Bournemouth’s door to join them, so he’s not that desperate.
The other thing is that he would come without any compensation being due. He wasn’t sacked in his last job, and has shown ambition previously by going to the Ukraine from Italy.
He has a style which seems to fit us and he seems quite passionate which I like. Perhaps a good antidote to Potter.
Zerbi was approached by bmuff but they are owned by a Russian so no go !!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Good stuff. I imagine it will be him or Knutsen unless TB wants a short-term solution until the end of the WC when there will be a lot of good names available.
Who do you prefer swanny ?

Zerbi bit disappointing at Donetsk after decent money spent for champions league

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm gutted Potter is gone. My preferred option would be to have him and everyone else still here.

That said, I'm beginning to enjoy this new manager search, it's actually quite exciting. It's the first time I can remember when the prospective names being thrown around are all impressive. AQs in properly, high level impressive. O.K, Gallardo might* be a bit ambitious but the others seem reasonable-ish shouts. That in itself is a testament to how far we've come.

In terms of Knutsen or De Zerbi I'm moving towards the latter. But i know next to nothing on either and frankly will probably have a new favourite tomorrow! Which is why it's quite exciting.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not many. And even fewer of them moved to small PL clubs.

If you do well in one of those clubs, you generally go on to manage the Argentina national team. If you don't do well, you're gone in three months. The Gallardo situation is pretty unique - he is the longest serving manager in River Plate since the 50s or 60s and with good margin. In Boca Juniors they've had exactly one manager lasting three years at the job during the last 40 years. Not really much to compare with.

I don't think it s a wee bit realistic he'd leave River Plate and Buenos Aires for Brighton, its a very eurocentric belief - football is very big in Argentina and River Plate is as big as it gets. It would be similar to Brighton poaching the manager of Milan, Juve or Inter.

Pellegrini moved from River to a small Spanish club, then led them to a second place finish in La Liga and a Champions League semi final.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Would you prefer him to say he's not interested so can't be bothered to do his research?

He could at least feign disinterest. That's what I've done in the past when I was after a particular woman. That strategy worked fine for me.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He could at least feign disinterest. That's what I've done in the past when I was after a particular woman. That strategy worked fine for me.
Definitely!

Want him to play it cool

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Now I have become a complete expert on the potential managers, their managerial careers and playing styles, my conclusion is that I have no idea. I also noticed Glimt fans seemed completely confident Knut's going nowhere.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Who do you prefer swanny ?

Zerbi bit disappointing at Donetsk after decent money spent for champions league

I think Knutsen. He has done more with less whereas De Zerbi has mainly worked in clubs with big resources. Foggia were bathing in money (well they weren't but they spent like they did) compared to other Serie C clubs, Sassuolo is one of the richest clubs in Serie A (hence being able to keep key players from all the big fishes) and Shakthar could buy every club in the Ukrainian league. At the same time, he got a relatively weak Benevento to play very nice football (I watched lots of it because my favorite active player Samuel Armenteros went there)... they did get relegated however.

Knutsen took charge of a newly relegated second division club in Norway and eventually won the league with them despite mainly using the academy and signing cheap, well-researched players, scoring more than 3 goals per game last season. I'd be very very keen on seeing how he and his staff would do in a bigger league. Whether he is interested is not entirely sure. Money won't do much I think, Tony would have to sell the vision and give Kjetil a lot of power.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I've never heard of Gallardo. But looking at his resume it seems he is a level above us. I don't know what a Boston Pancake is in that context, but I'm guessing that it's an unachievable fantasy where Cameron Diaz is concerned (is that a bloke ?) I'm not judging you :lolol:

I wish I hadn’t looked it up to be honest

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Great to have two such interesting candidates who both seem to have a similar playing philosophy and style to us.

Does anyway know anything about their backgrounds using and developing young/academy players as given our model feels like that will be a key thing for the final selection?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here