Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kjell Scherpen - Albion in talks with Ajax Goalkeeper (Signed 16/07/2021)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
...and lighter hair.

And now confirmed not him:

[tweet]1552309081662185474[/tweet]

Interesting signing, pretty similar background to Undav and the other striker they signed from the German third division this summer.

Was seen as a massive talent in Sweden when he broke through but kind of been under the radar for a couple of years.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Looks like he's going on loan to Sturm Graz in Austria. I think his time is probably up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"Kjell Scherpen (23) continues his career in Austria. The tall goalkeeper, who spent last season on a rental basis for Vitesse, is loaned by his club Brighton to Champions League candidate Sturm Graz.
Scherpen made his breakthrough five years ago in his hometown of Emmen, after which Ajax took over the talented keeper. In Amsterdam he got no further than a few appearances in the main force. Two years ago, Scherpen made the switch for five million and the switch to Brighton for four years. He is not yet entitled to playing time at that Premier League club.
After previous rental periods at Ostend and Vitesse in Belgium, the youth international will now try his luck at Sturm Graz. With the Austrian number two, Scherpen, if he finalizes the rental deal in Graz during the week, can immediately try to enforce a place in the Champions League in the coming months.
Brighton today announced the arrival of another Dutch goalkeeper, Bart Verbruggen. In recent weeks, Scherpen had to tolerate him under the bar of the Dutch Juniors at the European Championships in Georgia
".

Yes, I imagine he's on his way if/when we get an offer for him. Hasn't really shone on loan, and we've got a whole lot of up-and-coming that are probably ahead of him in the pecking order (not to mention we've just spent nearly £20M on a GK).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Good move.
Anyone know the timeframe for loan restrictions coming in? Was it three years?

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
"Kjell Scherpen (23) continues his career in Austria. The tall goalkeeper, who spent last season on a rental basis for Vitesse, is loaned by his club Brighton to Champions League candidate Sturm Graz.
Scherpen made his breakthrough five years ago in his hometown of Emmen, after which Ajax took over the talented keeper. In Amsterdam he got no further than a few appearances in the main force. Two years ago, Scherpen made the switch for five million and the switch to Brighton for four years. He is not yet entitled to playing time at that Premier League club.
After previous rental periods at Ostend and Vitesse in Belgium, the youth international will now try his luck at Sturm Graz. With the Austrian number two, Scherpen, if he finalizes the rental deal in Graz during the week, can immediately try to enforce a place in the Champions League in the coming months.
Brighton today announced the arrival of another Dutch goalkeeper, Bart Verbruggen. In recent weeks, Scherpen had to tolerate him under the bar of the Dutch Juniors at the European Championships in Georgia
".

Yes, I imagine he's on his way if/when we get an offer for him. Hasn't really shone on loan, and we've got a whole lot of up-and-coming that are probably ahead of him in the pecking order (not to mention we've just spent nearly £20M on a GK).
Last season Sturm Graz had Okonkwo on loan from Arsenal, who did a good job. They have two young, inexperienced keepers on their books. Will be interesting to see if Scherpen starts.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Good move.
Anyone know the timeframe for loan restrictions coming in? Was it three years?
They are being phased in over three seasons starting with the season just gone. For 23-24 season clubs can loan out a maximum of 7 players over the course of the season. It drops to 6 for the 24-25 season.

It’s worth remembering these restrictions do not apply to players under 21 or any player considered club trained.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
They are being phased in over three seasons starting with the season just gone. For 23-24 season clubs can loan out a maximum of 7 players over the course of the season. It drops to 6 for the 24-25 season.

It’s worth remembering these restrictions do not apply to players under 21 or any player considered club trained.
Interesting! So it's more about what Chelsea used to do with players like Lewis Baker than loaning out players full stop. So we had Alzate only perhaps last season?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Interesting! So it's more about what Chelsea used to do with players like Lewis Baker than loaning out players full stop. So we had Alzate only perhaps last season?
Lewis Baker would be fine as he would count as club trained, even though he was being loaned out well into his mid 20s.

The new rules are about stopping clubs hoarding players (this is where someone like Baker is a good example of the rules not going far enough) and making sure the loan market is used for player development.

I’m not sure if Alzate would count as club trained, he joined us at 18 so would probably not count but I’d need to double check.

Players like Zeqiri, Schrepen, and Shane Duffy would have counted towards the limit last season as all are over 21 and none are club trained.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Lewis Baker would be fine as he would count as club trained, even though he was being loaned out well into his mid 20s.

The new rules are about stopping clubs hoarding players (this is where someone like Baker is a good example of the rules not going far enough) and making sure the loan market is used for player development.

I’m not sure if Alzate would count as club trained, he joined us at 18 so would probably not count but I’d need to double check.

Players like Zeqiri, Schrepen, and Shane Duffy would have counted towards the limit last season as all are over 21 and none are club trained.
Great intel. It's a sensible rule. I'd probably make it something like 3 players over 23 whatever their classification. What Chelsea was doing was just daft. Step in the right direction though.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Get him back I want to see more rotation amongst the goalies 😉
Needs to be a Michael McIntyres ‘The wheel’ type set up under the changing room floor.
Whenever a goal is conceded they go back down with a 1in 3 chance of popping back up again.

Fair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here