Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kjell Scherpen - Albion in talks with Ajax Goalkeeper (Signed 16/07/2021)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Expect a bigger Benelux club to come in for a season long loan again. Needs to play to cement his place. If we ever sell Sanchez for big money we need him ready, not having rotted away on our bench.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Expect a bigger Benelux club to come in for a season long loan again. Needs to play to cement his place. If we ever sell Sanchez for big money we need him ready, not having rotted away on our bench.

You're operating under the assumption that Scherpen is next in line, just as it was assumed that Walton would step in for Ryan. I think Rushworth is highly regarded but, if Sanchez leaves, I wouldn't rule out us signing a direct replacement.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Maybe, maybe not. He didn't do particularly well in Oostende - dont think the big Benelux clubs will be in for him but another loan is necessary.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would loan out Scherpen and Rushworth

Try and get Ben Foster in for a year as no2

Steele is fine as a no.2. Whether we need a third, or can rely on youth (wasn't McGill on the bench quite a few times last season?) is another question. Not sure how long McGill will be here though - and I think a loan for Rushworth at a higher level than Walsall is a must. Scherpen as our no. 3?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Maybe, maybe not. He didn't do particularly well in Oostende - dont think the big Benelux clubs will be in for him but another loan is necessary.

A Championship loan would be ideal. Burnley if Pope leaves them this window wound be ideal.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Steele is fine as a no.2. Whether we need a third, or can rely on youth (wasn't McGill on the bench quite a few times last season?) is another question. Not sure how long McGill will be here though - and I think a loan for Rushworth at a higher level than Walsall is a must. Scherpen as our no. 3?

I believe that Naylor said that McGill will be leaving, but then we extended his contract.

Might just be so that we can get a fee for him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I believe that Naylor said that McGill will be leaving, but then we extended his contract.

Might just be so that we can get a fee for him.

Exactly. That's why I'm not sure how long he will be here! I think you may be right though - he generally hasn't got a lot of game time on his loans, and he'll be 23 this season. Maybe it is time for him to move on (and for us to make sure we don't just end up giving him away!)

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Is that Ben foster who was mouthing of about us getting relegated.(last season) how wrong was he.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I disagree, would you really want Steele in goal for 6 weeks lets say or longer ?.... as No2 go we need stronger in my opinion.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I disagree, would you really want Steele in goal for 6 weeks lets say or longer ?.... as No2 go we need stronger in my opinion.

He is often judged on the basis of one season where everything went wrong (Sunderland?) If he was brought in for injuries before January, and didn't do well, we could dabble in the market then. Or turn to/recall Rushworth or Scherpen - or even McGill, if he's not away by then.
If there's a decent old pro, available on a free, who'd take a 12 month contract as a back up GK, that wouldn't do any harm I suppose. Hardly top priority though.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Is that Ben foster who was mouthing of about us getting relegated.(last season) how wrong was he.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

He posted another video less than a month later saying he got that one wrong and we look class. He's allowed to have an opinion and change it based on the evidence, you know.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
FE0A714F-D260-4357-9DA4-2AC99F55AD04.jpg

A wild guess but is this USG unveiling Scherpen as a new signing? The guy looks pretty tall…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here