Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Kitchen extractor hoods

Jul 7, 2003
Can anyone recommend a good kitchen extractor hood (chimney/angled) that does a good job of removing smoke when griddling food?

We have had a new kitchen fitted but the AEG extractor hood provided looks pretty but is doesn't really pull through much smoke/steam. Supplier agrees with us but AEG say it is doing what it and won't replace it.

The supplier is offering to replace (at no cost) but I want something outside of AEG. Looking online there isn't much in the way of reviews or YouTube videos to help our choice so hoping NSC can help with suggestions.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Try cooking your food and not burning it :moo:

Use your barbecue outside in the garden.

Get a big extractor with massive ducting like down the kebab shop.

Hope this helps :whistle:

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I got a commercial one fitted. On the plus side, it’s ****ing brilliant. On the downside, it’s large, ugly, noisy, and my partner hates it. Win win.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
A good place to start is the AO website. They have a big range and show the maximum extraction rates for each hood.

This Falcon one extracts 795 m3/h which is close to twice as much as most AEG models.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can anyone recommend a good kitchen extractor hood (chimney/angled) that does a good job of removing smoke when griddling food?

We have had a new kitchen fitted but the AEG extractor hood provided looks pretty but is doesn't really pull through much smoke/steam. Supplier agrees with us but AEG say it is doing what it and won't replace it.

The supplier is offering to replace (at no cost) but I want something outside of AEG. Looking online there isn't much in the way of reviews or YouTube videos to help our choice so hoping NSC can help with suggestions.

NEFF seems obviously alternative. Pretty decent mid range kit and you can get spares...

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
Presuming you're venting externally - Check that the hood is fitted at the correct height above the hob for starters. All the appliance manufacturers will list the extraction rate of their hoods on their websites, check your current one against anything that you're considering purchasing. Could also be an issue with the ductwork if you're not going straight out through the wall behind the appliance.

Jul 7, 2003
Presuming you're venting externally - Check that the hood is fitted at the correct height above the hob for starters. All the appliance manufacturers will list the extraction rate of their hoods on their websites, check your current one against anything that you're considering purchasing. Could also be an issue with the ductwork if you're not going straight out through the wall behind the appliance.

It's a recirculating hood and AEG's service partner have twice sent out the same junior engineer to look at it. He tells me unofficially it is crap but the official line is that it is doing what it should.

It has a high extraction rate but again, someone described it as 50% function and 50% aesthetic.

Problem I have is that when I look for an alternative, there are so few reviews out there so I thought I'd try NSC as it is often a good place to get honest recommendations.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There's some good advice above, but I think that if you are griddling/browning/caramelising a lot with a recirculating hood you are always likely to struggle a bit :down:

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
Are the carbon filters the only ones worth trying if external venting isn’t an option?

Pretty much. A recircing hood without filters will just blow the air through it without scrubbing it.

We've had customers use recirc in the past and then complain that it's not getting rid of the steam in the room from cooking :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Put a hole in the wall and vent the bugger externally, recirc is a waste of time and you'll be forever washing/buying the carbon filters.

Have often thought this. Particularly, as an air quality consultant, for people who have gas. Then you're just pumping poisonous gasses such as nitrogen dioxide around your house - a lot of people probably don't realise how bad this is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have just finished working on a kitchen design. We ended up going for a Bora cooktop extractor system. A proper external extraction fan wasn’t an option so it was always going to be a filtration set up; this fits with the kitchen design. Although the cook top is more expensive…we don’t have to buy an overhead hood to hang from the ceiling.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I recently bought an extractor, agree that there not much information to go on. All of Which's best buys were old models and unavailable. You're limited to what's available in the shops at that time. As a rule of thumb with appliances I tend to trust the brand. NEFF, Meile and Bosch are going to be better than hotpoint.

The recirculation hoods I've owned have always been crap. We installed an integrated Bosch hood with 630m2 extraction rate and its been great. I forced the builder to use solid ducting, despite them saying it wasn't necessary, and that's been really good for noise reduction and most likely performance.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
I NEFF, Meile and Bosch are going to be better than hotpoint..

You'd be surprised. Miele are streets ahead of Neff & Bosch (Who are both part of BSH Group along with Siemens)

A lot of the "premium" brands use the same Chinese components as the lower price ones and just spend more on flashy marketing. Although in all fairness BSH service are usually excellent.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
We fitted this

https://luxairhoods.com/120cm-Anzi-Stainless-Steel-Ceiling-Cooker-Hood

Good lighting, noticeable noise at the higher speeds, but rarely need to extract past the first setting which is barely noticeable. The extractor fan can be detached from the unit and moved to minimise noise, just alter the ducting accordingly.

Edit, the option to relocate the motor is a purchase choice, so either fixed or removable not both in one as suggested above

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here