Kenya - anyone been?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
afters said:
don't be silly they're tough up north!

Nude mountaineering?? That is a seriously Extreme Sport. Bet the Naked Rambler must be really pissed off.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
THPP good idea about the pens and pencils.

I might actually pop along to the bookies and see if they could sell/spare a couple of boxes of their small pens to take with me.

Any bookies (Trigger?) know if they are easy to obtain.

Failing that I'll just buy some from the stationers. it'll be worth it.

Unfortunately I'm a bit restricted for baggage allowance re:clothing.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The Kichechi camp are helping to support 2 local schools. we went along to visit one, and took bags, pens, pencils, chalk and books etc. we take minimum luggage to give us space and weight to take stuff over. We have tried to get some stuff shipped over but the cost is toooo high and Kenya airlines not interested and BA still not got back to us (replied to e-mail said forwarded to relevant people about 3 months, but heard nothing).

One school is basically tin huts with virtually no equipment or teaching material, the other has had a new building put up, but still lacks teachers and equipment.

My other half has agreed to sponsor a new teacher for one of the schools - they get paid about £100 a month.

I went to Mombassa about 5 years ago. When you go down on to the beach there will be lads down there trying to sell you all manner of wood carvings and stuff like that. You can have a laugh with them but they are very persistent. There will also be a few girls down there selling other things, and they wont be put off just cos you have your missus with you!

Have your wits about you and you'll be fine. I really enjoyed it there and would love to go back.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I got married in mombassa. one of the "boys" who worked at the hotel claimed to have been an Albion fan for years,I didn't believe him until he named the cup final team, he became the proud owner of a 1996 away shirt.
The kids were all desperate for t-shirts,shoes & socks as well as the previously mention writing equipment.My suitcase was a lot lighter coming home than it was going!

You must visit the Mara & /or Tsavo game reserves .There is also a smaller one, Bomburi Park which is well worth a visit. You can get as close to the animals as safely possible. Its probably a 2 - 3 hour walk round it & if you go the giant tortoises like to be tickled under the chin. You can also get a crocodile kebab there,which go's down well after a night on the Tuska.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
the wanderbus said:
I got married in mombassa. one of the "boys" who worked at the hotel claimed to have been an Albion fan for years,I didn't believe him until he named the cup final team, he became the proud owner of a 1996 away shirt.
The kids were all desperate for t-shirts,shoes & socks as well as the previously mention writing equipment.My suitcase was a lot lighter coming home than it was going!

You must visit the Mara & /or Tsavo game reserves .There is also a smaller one, Bomburi Park which is well worth a visit. You can get as close to the animals as safely possible. Its probably a 2 - 3 hour walk round it & if you go the giant tortoises like to be tickled under the chin. You can also get a crocodile kebab there,which go's down well after a night on the Tuska.

_40610154_tusker203.jpg

:drink:

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
whatever you do mate only drink bottled water where the seal was intact when you purchased it. (and dispose of the bottles in your hotel preferably bycutting them up as the street boys like to use them for glue sniffing). Don't eat any salad which has been washed in unboiled water and when buying souvineers haggle like crazy, a wooden carved animal about 12 inches high/long should only set you back about 800 to 1000 shillings.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jambo

Just got back. Had a great time.

Went to Kilamanjaro-Kimana on Safari -saw 3 of the big 5 - no rhinos or leapords.

I drunk only bottled water (and booze of course) but I have come back with the very dodgy stomach.

Brought a whole load of pens and sweets and pens to schools and villages. I have never seen povery like it but the people seemed happy. Gave away a load of clothes but there aren't many Kenyans the same size as me :lolol:

Missed all games since (and including) Tramere. No TVs in outr hotel had to rely on text messages from mates. See some of you at the next game. (I may need to sit near a loo).

Cheers

Buzz

madbutcher

Dec 3, 2006
woodingdean
mombasa is a fine place if you dont intend to go there after dark i assume you are staying in a beach hotel the best are in diani beach south of the likoni ferry best of the best is the indian ocean beach club. if you intend to go on safari you need to get to either the mara or samburu if you want to do any serious game viewing.it would mean flying as kenyan roads are a bit like the path from preston park station.for future reference the best thing you can do is fly to nairobi(kenya airways business class is suprisingly affordable) do 7 days safari try to includ treetops ,samburu, naivasha and the mara and then fly down to the coast and spend a week on the beach.last time i went i took a load of old shirts and gave them away they were most apreciated see if you can find them there have a good time and be prepared to get frindly with the locals learn a bit of swahili first asante sana kwaheri

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
We went in September (hence I misssed the Bristol City game) and had our best holiday ever. We'll definitely go again in the not-too-distant future.

Personally, we thought Samburi game reserve was better than Masai Mari; we certainly saw all the animals at Samburi, but relatively few at Masai, although that maybe because the latter is bigger, and so it's hit-and-miss whether you are in the right place at the right time.

If you can afford it (about 250 pounds), I'd strongly recommend the dawn balloon ride over the Masia Mari, followed by the champagne breakfast out in the bush (armed guards to protect against cheetas, hyenas, lions, etc, sniffing around !!).

Also strongly recommend the all-day snorkelling/diving trip - all hotels arrange from Mombsa. Loads of companies offer these trips, buy we went with the strongly-recommended 'Piri Piri' (or something like that!). They are really professional, cater for people who are not strong swimmers (you're about 3 miles off the coast), and limit the number of people on each boat, so that it doesn't get too crowded. If you're realy lucky, you might find dolphins joining you whilst your snorkelling.

Have a great time.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mad Butcher / PeteinBlack.

I actually got back yesterday. (I started the thread when I booked the holiday).

We stayed in Shanzu.

Cheers

Buzz:drink:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
DOH ! I should have checked the 'posted on' date !

Hope you had a great time, though.

:shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here