Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenya - anyone been?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've recently booked a couple of weeks in Mombassa for my Mrs and I.

(I'll miss the Tranmere game but I'm prepared to make that sacrifice at the moment).

I've just had my jabs and I was wondering if anyone has been? Any advice would be gratefully received.

I haven't booked our Safari yet.

Cheers

Buzz

No. Been to Tanzania just across the border which is a nice place but everything I've heard about Kenya suggests it's a nice place and relatively safe. Sisters been there a few times. Safaris in Kenya are generally well reagrded but can be expensive. You are likely to see the big 5 though, especially if you visit the Masai.

Usual rules apply, don't carry expensive items on show and keep clear of the didgy areas of town.

And have a great time.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
readingstockport said:
You are likely to see the big 5 though, especially if you visit the Masai.

Steve Foster is in the Masai?? ???

My Lord :bowdown:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I have been to Kenya on Safari, and going again in January.

Its a fantastic place, been to Lewa in the North and the Masi Mara in the South. You see more animals in the Masi Mara, but Lewa you see a lot less people, which is nice. In the Masi Mara you are pretty much guaranteed to see Lions, Cheetahs and if your lucky Leopards. Loads of Zebras, Giraffes, you should see White Rhino and probably black Rhino and if you go to the rivers you will see Hippos and Crocs. Its an amazing experience, we are now hooked on Safaris (also been to see Tigers in India and hopefully going to see Blue Whales in February 2008)

I can highly recommend the kicheche camp. The guides know there stuff and the accommodation and food top notch

http://www.kicheche.com/

Never been to Mombassa so cant help with any info on that, but you can fly to near the camp from Nairobi, Samburu and Mombasa on a daily basis.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
we went to kenya 4 years ago. flew into nairobi, stayed overnight at the famous hotel the name of which escapes me but had a big tree in the cortyard. flew from there to ther masai mara for safari (the president's lodge rings a bell) which is a must do, from there flew back to nairobi and from there travelled by overnight train to mombassa, which was fantastic (the train journey that is).

mombassa has two main resorts one south and one north, the city centre is truly third world but worth a visist. the hotels tend to be big westernised resort hotels. we spent a few days nort and a few south, both excellent.

we were repeatedly warned about how dangerous the place was (especially nairobi) but didn't really feel at all threatened.

a great place to visit!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Neighbours of ours were regular visitors, indeed planning to retire there. They suffered a horrendous attack (whilst driving through the countryside). Like a lot of places I think you just need to be careful when off the beaten track.

CAFC

Oct 11, 2006
Orpington
Went to Mombassa about 3 years ago and iit was enjoyable, which hotel are you staying at?

Click Below

Mombassa pictures

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for all your input.

I'm actually staying in a hotel in Shanzu beach about 15KM north of Mombassa

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Buzza said:
I've recently booked a couple of weeks in Mombassa for my Mrs and I.

(I'll miss the Tranmere game but I'm prepared to make that sacrifice at the moment).

I've just had my jabs and I was wondering if anyone has been? Any advice would be gratefully received.

I haven't booked our Safari yet.

Cheers

Buzz

A mate and his wife went. Said that the kids in the local schools are desperately short of writing materials. Pens and pencils are considered luxury items and there's not nearly enough to go round. So if you could see your way clear to robbing the office stationery cupboard before you go, you could go some small way towards changing some kids lives for the better.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That is a bloody good idea THPP. I went on a trip to Malawi and we took out lots of crayons, colouring in books etc.

The body shop sponsored us and we took lots of colourful hats, t shirts etc.

If you wanted a slightly alternative holiday, I would suggest getting in touch with relevant bodies and see if you can arrange a visit to an orphanage with things like this....

It was the most rewarding experience, big cheesy grins and the look on their faces.....Chokes me up just thinking about it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Barrel of Fun said:
It was the most rewarding experience, big cheesy grins and the look on their faces.....Chokes me up just thinking about it.

I think they were scared - I would be if a big green thing with no eyes and a white coat turned up to visit me!;) :lol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Re: Re: Kenya - anyone been?

Tom Hark said:
A mate and his wife went. Said that the kids in the local schools are desperately short of writing materials. Pens and pencils are considered luxury items and there's not nearly enough to go round. So if you could see your way clear to robbing the office stationery cupboard before you go, you could go some small way towards changing some kids lives for the better.

I agree with BoF. That is an excellent idea. How much do you suggest he charges? The 'old softie' in me says, hell - just charge cost price, plus maybe a small handling fee? Afterall, there IS a shortage.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Kenya - anyone been?

Bry Nylon said:
I agree with BoF. That is an excellent idea. How much do you suggest he charges? The 'old softie' in me says, hell - just charge cost price, plus maybe a small handling fee? Afterall, there IS a shortage.

BANNED! :angry: :censored: :angry:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Re: Re: Re: Re: Kenya - anyone been?

Tom Hark said:

:down:

Okay Tom, have it YOUR way. But I still think Full Retail + Import Duty + Local Sales Tax is just plain WRONG. But of course, that's just my opinion.

THPP and buzza, people in Kenya and Tanzania are sometimes also desperately short of reasonable clothing. When I climbed Kilimanjaro we left behind our jeans, t-shirts and the like.

Paper and pens/pencils is a great idea but how about asking a football team you know if they might like to donate and old kit so you can find a local team and present them with it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here