Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Karl Robinson approached by Albion

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right there.
Bloody hell :blush:

Anyway... reading that thread suggests that Robinson had said it too "I seem to remember Karl Robinson, making some similar comments after they had beaten us there last year. Very disrespectful."

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
MK players wages under 3 million a year (source: newspaper reports when they knocked Man U out of the league cup a couple of months ago)

No idea where that ranks in L1, but it works out at 50-60k a week, around 2k per player on average.

That is incredible for what they are doing in league 1.

Gary Rowett hadn't managed at this level before taking the Birmingham job and seems to be doing okay. Poyet had never managed at any level. Don't care for playing record too much, didn't do Hyypia much good.

Any club after having some success is going to have to move players on, he's replaced them, kept their identity and is now having another crack at it. The financial backing there is over exaggerated, whilst Bournemouth were losing 8 million getting promoted, MK Dons were turning a 2 million profit.

He doesn't strike me as a "glad to be here" type who'll just happily work within the constraints. He always comes across as pretty passionate in his match interviews. He can be a bit of a prick and I'm not 100% sure if he's the man to have an immediate effect on the team. They would be my main concerns.

Wow this is such a long way from Pulis and Sherwood. Plucky lower league battling manager in our Premiership Ready stadium. I am genuinely staggered that the board think this will save the season ticket renewals.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This is unbelievable - he has failed year after year at MK Dons even with some of the biggest budgets in League 1. Regularly gets his arse handed to him by the carthorse teams Crawley put out.

Do the board have a death wish? Spend so much money on infrastructure but such a miserable lack of ambition on the playing side?

Had the internet been available in 1967, I am sure there would have been Derby fans saying 'Who is this Clough? He hasn't pulled up any trees at Hartlepool.' Shankly also did not win anything with any of his clubs before joining Liverpool.

I don't know whether Robinson has the talent to succeed at a higher level, but we only have to look at Bloom's previous appointments to know that he likes to give a chance to up-and-comers. Robinson is only 34, so to write him off as being no good because Franchise FC are not in the Premier League is fairly reductive. If this had been done to the likes of Pulis at the begining of their managerial careers, they wouldn't have been given the chances to prove themselves as successful managers.

Picking the right manager is largely about getting the right fit with the club. Eddie Howe is living proof of this. Robinson is young and wants his teams to play football in the way that fits our squad. He seems a better fit than someone like McDermott who would have to fit our square pegs into his athletic style, or Pulis who would halt the progress of youth which Bloom sees as our cornerstone.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Wouldn't turn my nose up at him. A young coach who's of course growing in experience and is a fan of good football. I've become accustomed to the wish for a sort of measured flair that I place only possible in the paws of international magicians, but I need to undo that thinking a little. An up-and-coming breed of UK managers could perform similar feats.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's that old "dropped a tenner and found tuppence" feeling again.

What a rollercoaster! Elation that the Finn had been binned (although with reservations knowing that we were still being lumbered with the Burke), depression at the weasel being put in charge on Boxing Day (when everybody knows Inigo is a leader of men, an inspiration and loves the club) then bafflement that we are being linked with somebody with no experience of the league we are in and no track record of getting clubs promoted (and indeed getting out of a relegation battle.

How have we gone from Gus to this shambles in so short a time?

But as commentators with far closer links to the club than I have stated recently, the problems go far deeper than Hyypia. All the time TB insists on retaining the Burke at the club we will never attract the calibre of manager that we need.

Robinson will just be another nodding donkey yes-man who won't rock the boat and will be happy with the crumbs the club scatter at his feet.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Wow this is such a long way from Pulis and Sherwood. Plucky lower league battling manager in our Premiership Ready stadium. I am genuinely staggered that the board think this will save the season ticket renewals.

It's not the signing of the manager that will bring in the crowds its the quality of the football on show.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's risky. However it's not who the manager is that will improve things but rather what he manages to do with the players at his disposal. Crowds will return if we are winning again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gary Rowett hadn't managed at this level before taking the Birmingham job and seems to be doing okay. Poyet had never managed at any level. Don't care for playing record too much, didn't do Hyypia much good.

Any club after having some success is going to have to move players on, he's replaced them, kept their identity and is now having another crack at it. The financial backing there is over exaggerated, whilst Bournemouth were losing 8 million getting promoted, MK Dons were turning a 2 million profit.

He doesn't strike me as a "glad to be here" type who'll just happily work within the constraints. He always comes across as pretty passionate in his match interviews. He can be a bit of a prick and I'm not 100% sure if he's the man to have an immediate effect on the team. They would be my main concerns.

Rowetts been there 5 minutes and has done well so far, but he knows the club inside out, the players already knew him and his appointment has had the desired effect for them. They've had the dead cat bounce, but its far too early to judge how good a manager he is.

Poyet had an excellent grounding as a number 2 in L1, Championship and the Prem. Leeds fell apart after he left Wise there for Spurs, it was a commonly held belief that he was the brains of the operation, the driving force. He was ready for the step-up, he had the big name AND the charisma to attract players to the club.

Hyypia just hasn't worked out for a variety of reasons, not all of them down to him.

I share your concerns about whether Robinson could have an immediate effect on this team. The fact that half of them are only here on loan won't help, but then whoever comes in will have that mess to deal with anyway. I just don't think his stock is high enough in the game for him to make the desired impact here, when he's achieved so very little in his career thus far. He's never been beyond the third division. I hope we don't appoint him, but if we do, I'd LOVE to be proved totally wrong and for him to galvanise the squad, drive us up the table and bring an exciting brand of winning football to the Amex.

I just can't see it though.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Get him down here

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Mixed feelings about this one. Remember him declaring MK dons were the best team in the division the year we won league 1 and they finished (i think) eighth. However, plays attractive football and has plenty of passion, i can't imagine him being anybodys fool. A gamble, but possible it could pay off.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I mostly remember him for the statement where he said they were better than Brighton were when we won the league.

What were our results against them that wonderful year ? I seem to think we didn't do so well against them.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Robinson will get the best out of Sam Baldock

Had the internet been available in 1967, I am sure there would have been Derby fans saying 'Who is this Clough? He hasn't pulled up any trees at Hartlepool.' Shankly also did not win anything with any of his clubs before joining Liverpool.

I don't know whether Robinson has the talent to succeed at a higher level, but we only have to look at Bloom's previous appointments to know that he likes to give a chance to up-and-comers. Robinson is only 34, so to write him off as being no good because Franchise FC are not in the Premier League is fairly reductive. If this had been done to the likes of Pulis at the begining of their managerial careers, they wouldn't have been given the chances to prove themselves as successful managers.

Picking the right manager is largely about getting the right fit with the club. Eddie Howe is living proof of this. Robinson is young and wants his teams to play football in the way that fits our squad. He seems a better fit than someone like McDermott who would have to fit our square pegs into his athletic style, or Pulis who would halt the progress of youth which Bloom sees as our cornerstone.

Fairly unusually, Robinson does have quite a long track record at MK Dons by which he can be judged, he's not a newcomer. Constantly flattered to deceive in my view, on the verge of success in yours. Classic half-glass scenario maybe - but for me crucially doesn't have the winners' edge to succeed. But my opinion basically doesn't count for shit I know and I wouldn't want it to - just very surprised at the strategy of the board these days and I'll watch it all unfold with interest but with absolutely no expectation of getting the Gus days back soon. How lucky we where to have those.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What were our results against them that wonderful year ? I seem to think we didn't do so well against them.
Yeah they did the double over us, which could explain why they didn't think we were that great.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
No thanks. Remember him slagging off El Abd saying he assaulted his forwards in the year we won the league. Comes across like a chubby, arrogant git. Still better than Hyypia though.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Fairly unusually, Robinson does have quite a long track record at MK Dons by which he can be judged, he's not a newcomer. Constantly flattered to deceive in my view, on the verge of success in yours. Classic half-glass scenario maybe - but for me crucially doesn't have the winners' edge to succeed. But my opinion basically doesn't count for shit I know and I wouldn't want it to - just very surprised at the strategy of the board these days and I'll watch it all unfold with interest but with absolutely no expectation of getting the Gus days back soon. How lucky we where to have those.

Why would you be surpised at the strategy? It hasn't changed. Find a young manager who may or may not have something special and give them a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here