Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Karl Robinson approached by Albion

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
What makes makes having a punt on this guy any better than Nathan Jones?
And I must add I am not a Jones fan, but truly can't understand why you would bring him in when in my opinion we have his equivalent already here.

He has got experience as manager though, unlike Jones. Karl would not be my first choice (not my second or third either) but he is surely a big step up from Jones.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
He has got experience as manager though, unlike Jones. Karl would not be my first choice (not my second or third either) but he is surely a big step up from Jones.

Thats my point I don't think he is a step up, remember Nathan had manager experience at Yeovii, I know it was only as a joint manager.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thats my point I don't think he is a step up, remember Nathan had manager experience at Yeovii, I know it was only as a joint manager.

Similar experience to Gus when he came to us, although he'd been assistant at Swindon & Leeds.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'd rather have someone with a personality and some balls then a boring recluse

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Jones IS a bigger gamble than Robinson, based purely on the fact he has never managed a football club. Of course, having worked alongside managers, he will be very aware of the responsibilities and pressures of being the top man. But's it's another matter BEING the top man. Who knows, Jones could prove to be a great manager one day, but now isn't the time to start blooding a raw recruit. Robinson hasn't managed at championshop level, granted, but MK Dons currently lie three places below us in the pyramid so it's hardly a monumental step up?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I don't understand how some people are SO against this. I understand if he's not your first choice but come on. He's a very young manager who plays good football and has got MK Dons playing ridiculously well this year, they have already beaten Crewe 6-1, Colchester 6-0, Oldham 7-0 and Man United 4-0 just half way into the season. Those are just individual results but they're also second in the league with a game in hand. He seems like a great choice to me.

Hmmm. Until you posted that I was thinking "Bollocks, I'd rather have Nathan Jones" but it's made me think!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He's failed numerous times at MKD with a healthy budget...This is a YES man again who also will be falsed to have Jones as his no 2.You just couldn't write the script at this club as they're always looking for the cheap options who they can dictate everything too.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Haven't had the chance to read this entire thread, and if you'd asked me two hours ago, I'd have been entirely against Robinson, for reasons stated in numerous previous threads.

But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it might not be a punt worth taking by the Albion.

-he's gobby and annoys other teams. We haven't had one of those since Poyet left.

-he's another young manager with no stellar playing career to speak of (never played league football). Eddie Howe & Mark Warburton seem to be doing alright.

-he seems to favour bringing young players through, which fits with the Albion plans and investment.

-his sides score loads of goals, which seems to be working for Bournemouth & Brentford this season.

-he's worked with Sam Baldock before and rates him, so there's every reason to hope he could get the best out of him

-he's known for playing decent football (I'm not sure we have the necessary giant players to fit, say, Tony Pulis's tactics)

-the fact he's done alright despite never having played League football suggests that actually, his motivational and man management skills may be rather impressive. I bet he gets players really wanting to play for him.

Obviously now I've come round to the idea, he'll turn us down, that pretty much goes without saying. Or the McDons will reject any approach. Twunts.

My first reaction to Robinson was verging on 'meh', but to be fair he does tick the boxes you've highlighted. Those are criteria we'd look for in a candidate appointed in the close season, with the luxury of time to build for the future. However it is a bit different to being parachuted into a club in trouble with half the season gone.

So my main concern is whether Robinson (or to be fair any other relatively unproven candidates) is capable of having an immediate impact and steering us away from relegation?

At this stage we need someone who can walk into the changing room, with ability to give the players a huge lift, buy into his playing style and immediately inspire them to die for the cause. It won't help if they are thinking 'who TF is this bloke?' Robinson does not have the playing pedigree or reputation of Poyet, Garcia or Hyypia. However Sami has now undermined the case for a manager having a top playing pedigree.

I'm not 100% convinced by Robinson but as you suggest maybe he has the motivational skills to compensate. He would certainly be a breath of fresh air after the dour Finn.

It will also help if the fans can put the doom and gloom behind us and now give the players and the new manager huge support.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Without reading through all 16 pages, how long is his contract with MK Dons and how much compo would they be after?

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
He's failed numerous times at MKD with a healthy budget...This is a YES man again who also will be falsed to have Jones as his no 2.You just couldn't write the script at this club as they're always looking for the cheap options who they can dictate everything too.

NO HE HASN'T HAD A GOOD BUDGET!!!!! That is a total myth. MK Dons are run at a profit he's spent very little. He's VERY young and actually finished in top half of the league every season he's been there.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Jones IS a bigger gamble than Robinson, based purely on the fact he has never managed a football club. Of course, having worked alongside managers, he will be very aware of the responsibilities and pressures of being the top man. But's it's another matter BEING the top man. Who knows, Jones could prove to be a great manager one day, but now isn't the time to start blooding a raw recruit. Robinson hasn't managed at championshop level, granted, but MK Dons currently lie three places below us in the pyramid so it's hardly a monumental step up?

I personally wouldn't gamble on either of them, I would much rather give the compensation money we would have to pay MK Dons, to someone like Pullis, as a bonus to keep us up in the way Palace did. With the agreement that if unsuccessful he could walk away at the end of the season.

Stumpy Tim

What is this myth about him having a huge budget in League 1? It's simply not true. I find him a bit "meh" as a choice, but he does tick a lot of boxes. He has a mid-table budget in League 1 and relies on the youth system they have - ring any bells?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Poor choice imho given his experience and our predicament.

Of course, could it be that the Board want another 'whipping boy' they can control and blame for our position, when it is they who have sold the heart of the team!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
This is the text my sister wrote:

're Robinson - not going to happen - we are 2nd in league one looking at promotion and daughter settled at my school. Hands off!!'

Doesn't sound like Dons fans think he's failed and isn't it the home fans who are the most critical?

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well they do not seem to concerned up the A23 M23 round the M25 and up the M1 about our approach on their message board "Concrete Roundabout" they are on only page 3 and seem to think he will turn us down and will use this against the board to get more spending funds in the January transfer window at MKDons.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Apparently we've asked permission from MK Dons to speak to Robinson about the manager's job.

Marvellous, a guy that has never played professional football and whose managerial "career" consists of 4 non-descript seasons with MK - f'ing - Dons.

Sounds perfect.

League One Ready.

This is the text my sister wrote:

're Robinson - not going to happen - we are 2nd in league one looking at promotion and daughter settled at my school. Hands off!!'

They'll finish third (Bris have more goals and Swindon better football) and then will be dumped out of the play-offs by Sheff Utd (COG screamer) :p

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
It was a snap response to an equally snap opinion based on nothing at all. I suppose your a Pulis fan. NO VISION.

Not a fan of Puliss at all, though I do think he'd keep us up. My opinion is that we need a complete revamp of our coaching system with a director of football (Glenn Hoddle ?) to oversee an up and coming manager and coaches. Karl Robinson could be that manager though I dont see him much as up and coming...more stagnated at MK. Maybe a move would suit him and us, that doesnt mean I'd want him here .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here