Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kaoru Mitoma to a top 4 club - would it be a big move any more?

Aug 1, 2006
Louis Saha says
"He’s shown a lot of consistency for Brighton this season and I’m very impressed with him. There’s a difference between playing for Brighton than there is playing for Manchester United, Liverpool or Arsenal, so it would be a big step for Kaoru.”

Is this guys a 'prYck living in the past who has failed to catch up with Brighton's brilliant and challenging new play style' or is he correct that moving to Manchester United would be a BIG step?

I can see both sides. But my vote is prYck.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Wait, you think he's a prick for being of the opinion that expectations at the biggest, most trophy laden clubs in the country are an awful lot bigger than at Brighton, who've spent 10 seasons in the top flight ever, and have never won a trophy?
I think people under-estimate the pressure involved in playing for these clubs away from the football pitch. It's not just about playing in a bigger stadium in front of more people. You'd get recognised in the street (and probably abused) far more, and you have a global fanbase of millions of people suddenly analysing your every move, rather than 30,000 people in a small city in the South East. It's a different world altogether.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Of course it’s different. You get written off as a waste almost instantly if you don’t hit the ground running. The pressure involved would be huge. Just because we are in and around these clubs at the moment doesn’t mean we now perpetually belong in the top6. Just enjoy the ride and stop getting your knickers in a twist, it isn’t going to last forever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course it’s different. You get written off as a waste almost instantly if you don’t hit the ground running. The pressure involved would be huge. Just because we are in and around these clubs at the moment doesn’t mean we now perpetually belong in the top6. Just enjoy the ride and stop getting your knickers in a twist, it isn’t going to last forever.
Wages are a huge draw for our players wanting to leave, as well as winning medals. Double your wage and have a trophy on your CV.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wait, you think he's a prick for being of the opinion that expectations at the biggest, most trophy laden clubs in the country are an awful lot bigger than at Brighton, who've spent 10 seasons in the top flight ever, and have never won a trophy?
Come on - you’re right apart from ‘never won a trophy’ - it’s becoming coming one of my gear grinders as it’s an armchair fan expression for me!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its always a big step but I think he'd have no problem whatsoever, he got a brilliant mentality.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who thought Trossard had the mentality and ability to be playing as well as he is at Arse?
I had every confidence in that but absolutely no confidence in him doing it consistently.

Squad depth might have been his Achilles Heel with us.

I guess he was too good to be in and out of a #TeamLikeBrighton but easier for him to be impactful when part of a 3-4 player rotation. (While earning twice the money for half the work)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So easy to forget Saha thought he was the next Ronaldo, went to Manure and flopped, then returned to the sewer

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
different players handle pressure differently, the way Mitoma just slotted in to the English game makes me think he'll just slide in to any top club without problem. hopefully he'll want to stay for culture and regular games here though.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
mitomax.png

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
It would be a step up yes - Mitoma in my opinion is the most exciting player I have ever seen in the Blue and White. He’s had an incredible influence at the club already just from the fans he’s pulled in and hopefully he will continue that for the foreseeable future (new contract and ideally another season with us?) but in those clubs wanting to finish in the top 4 every season, the expectation is that players can have an impact immediately and hit the ground running and to be consistently good.

I think unfortunately for us Mitoma has shown a lot of consistency (even in ‘poorer’ games such as against Palace he secured the assist for Solly) and his offensive abilities are utterly terrifying for Premier League defenders. He will get a lot of attention this summer and personally dreading the fifty thousand tweets from the bellend Romaro about how some big 6 club “will swoop in for a ‘reasonable’ £40m bid”. At least we’ve made it very clear that we are not suckers and will not be easy to negotiate with.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So easy to forget Saha thought he was the next Ronaldo, went to Manure and flopped, then returned to the sewer
Trossard is a more timely/relevant comparison, unfortunately...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would say any big (money) move - wherever to - is likely to be a big step. If somebody's paid £50M for your, both expectations and pressure will go through the roof. Some people will make the step more easily than others.
I can't see that Saha's making any worthwhile contribution to the discussion.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It's mostly about £££

If we paid these players silly money they would more than likely stay.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Like many of our players, I think the main reason they are looking so good is down to De Zerbi. I am not convinced that players at the big clubs get the same level of personal attention, encouragement and development. As above, most of the reason for moving is money and trophies. This year could be a watershed for us as we have the opportunity to get a trophy and get into Europe, neither of which we have done in the past. Extra income and higher status might just mean a bit more money and a bit more potential for players to want to stay, or come to us.
The other man’s grass isn’t always greener, although Trossard and White may have got away with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here