[Albion] Just getting fed up with our inability to win a big game

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Ok, ok, but apart from Liverpool and Chelsea

Liverpool twice.

Yes, ok Liverpool twice.
So apart from Liverpool, twice, and Chelsea, when was the last time we won against a big team?

Arsenal?
Man United?
Yep. And AWAY to United on the first day of the season when they were all positive and full of optimism under a new manager.

Still can’t get my head around this thread - it seems somewhat of an over reaction based solely on just not beating Fulham and Brentford.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Arsenal and Spurs away in consecutive games (I think) after a particularly shitty run spring to mind...

I *think* I get what you're trying to say, but it comes across pretty poorly, IMO. The club has been (possibly still is) punching above its weight, so every win will arguably be a big win, to a point. Even teams that are going through a bad run are a tough opponent – every week you see upsets in the league, so I'm not sure why the wins against, say Liverpool or Chelsea should be devalued. Or Leicester, or Everton, or any of the other MANY victories we've had – and I'll even chuck in the cup games – this season.

Honestly, nothing like reinforcing the 'some fans are NEVER happy' stereotype!

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
You don’t get more points for beating Brentford or Fulham than you do for beating anyone else. If you want European football every game’s a big game. Given that we were behind three times, I’ll take the draw today.

We’re playing the best football we’ve ever played, the teams around us are around us coz they’re good too. To be taking the negatives from this season instead of the positives baffles me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why is it ridiculous? Sure its fun to put 4 past a gurning Ronaldo, but isn't winning games like today the best feeling in football, when you're toe to toe in a six pointer? Or is it all just about beating the big names to get that kudos?
I think football is messier than that and you are too much of a perfectionist. Some of my best moments in football have been stealing a win away from home when we absolutely didn’t deserve it. Goals (not stats or being deserving) win football matches.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think I understand where OP is coming from but the last time I can recall really feeling like that was when we spunked three chances to win the Championship. And maybe some of the games against the teams around us during the Hughton PL years.

But these last few seasons? Nah, any win is a good win in my book.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The teams we have left to play this season will watch that yesterday and be crapping themselves - much of the stuff we played was outstanding, just a shame we had a bit of an off day at the back otherwise it would have been a convincing win. No real damage done to whatever ambitions we have now with how other results went, and it was a brilliant game to watch. These are the best of days.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Have come to the conclusion this post is from a bitter Potter fan who can't cope with the way we've gone to the next level and he's making a tit out of himself

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yet another important game we fail to win. Really struggling to think of a single Premier League victory that can be classed as a 'good win'. Sure, we can beat a load of midtable cloggers, we can beat relegation fodder, we can beat big 6 teams when they're off form and having a mini crisis. But put us up against a team we're fighting for league position with, we don't win. Put us up against a team that's won 5 in a row, or a big 6 team playing well, we don't win. Maybe if the stadium is empty during covid we can win at Anfield, or if City get a man sent off we can beat them. But challenge Fulham or Brentford for a European spot, 1 point out of 12. Sure they score with basically each chance they have, and we take a thousand chances to score less, but we don't win. Somebody show me a 'good win we've had, please? Because I'm getting very fed up about it.

We did a better job against Brentford than Man City managed at home. These are a good team who thrive against managers like Pep and RDZ.
9A1014A8-C019-4E0A-ABA2-F64E2D0D8FBB.jpeg
841C0608-2533-4465-8150-444E151105CF.jpeg

For someone following Albion for at least 20 years according to your profile this is a bit of a dick thread. A couple of years ago we would have still lost that game and 33 shots on goal would take about 8 games!

If anything the biggest disappointment has been lack of goals from set pieces, and those damn stupid short corners never work. I think we've had one goal in two seasons from a short corner!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So, the cold, sober light of day.. :) A post crafted after their 3rd and dwelled upon for too long, and a rant to follow... :p

And the next morning, I still think this is going to be my hill to dle on. Maybe in not quite such a vitriolic way, but still.

We've done the 'played well, dominated the game, deserved to win but didn't' shtick a hundred times. Good, fine, if that's who we are then so be it, it's enjoyable to watch, it's better than being at Hereford again.

I'd like Europe next year, RDZ DEFINITELY wants it. Reading this board, most seem to be very excited by the idea. If that's being entitled, so be it. But not beating Brentford and Fulham at home looks like being the reason we will miss out on European qualification.

Some of the best Albion memories were winning those big games - Wilkins last minute free kick, Doncaster in 97, Ulloa at Forest, the playoffs in 03, 1-0 over Chesterfield at Withdean, beating Cardiff, Reading, Bristol in the Adams days, the Slade great escape, beating Wednesday with 10 men. Playing well but not winning the big games is losing out on promotion to Burnley and Boro, getting relegated under Coppell, staying up under Hughton because Cardiff and Hudds were proper shite, missing out on the title to Newcastle, Palace beating us in the play offs.

Are we a team who beat the big names, but don't win the big games. Someone said above that people would remember this season more for beating Chelsea and Liverpool even if we'd beaten Fulham and Brentford. That sounds like glory hunting to me. But everyone is beating up on Chelsea and Liverpool, very few are beating the other two.

Let's hope we're save it all up for Spurs next week, Arsenal soon after, Newcastle on the road and the Manchesters in the Cup.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If anything the biggest disappointment has been lack of goals from set pieces, and those damn stupid short corners never work. I think we've had one goal in two seasons from a short corner!

But we never score from long ones either.
Duffy was our main man for a few years but we don't really ever look threatening now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Yet another important game we fail to win. Really struggling to think of a single Premier League victory that can be classed as a 'good win'. Sure, we can beat a load of midtable cloggers, we can beat relegation fodder, we can beat big 6 teams when they're off form and having a mini crisis. But put us up against a team we're fighting for league position with, we don't win. Put us up against a team that's won 5 in a row, or a big 6 team playing well, we don't win. Maybe if the stadium is empty during covid we can win at Anfield, or if City get a man sent off we can beat them. But challenge Fulham or Brentford for a European spot, 1 point out of 12. Sure they score with basically each chance they have, and we take a thousand chances to score less, but we don't win. Somebody show me a 'good win we've had, please? Because I'm getting very fed up about it.
I hear this "we have a side playing amazing football, the best ever at Brighton. It's frustrating that in what feel like reputation defining games, against a side at the top or those around us, when we have the chance to really send a message, we rarely seem to win. That despite often dominating the game".

I agree with that. It is frustrating. We're so close. But I also realise we're a work in progress. Try and enjoy the journey @Kalimantan Gull - these are the good times.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So, the cold, sober light of day.. :) A post crafted after their 3rd and dwelled upon for too long, and a rant to follow... :p

And the next morning, I still think this is going to be my hill to dle on. Maybe in not quite such a vitriolic way, but still.

We've done the 'played well, dominated the game, deserved to win but didn't' shtick a hundred times. Good, fine, if that's who we are then so be it, it's enjoyable to watch, it's better than being at Hereford again.

I'd like Europe next year, RDZ DEFINITELY wants it. Reading this board, most seem to be very excited by the idea. If that's being entitled, so be it. But not beating Brentford and Fulham at home looks like being the reason we will miss out on European qualification.

Some of the best Albion memories were winning those big games - Wilkins last minute free kick, Doncaster in 97, Ulloa at Forest, the playoffs in 03, 1-0 over Chesterfield at Withdean, beating Cardiff, Reading, Bristol in the Adams days, the Slade great escape, beating Wednesday with 10 men. Playing well but not winning the big games is losing out on promotion to Burnley and Boro, getting relegated under Coppell, staying up under Hughton because Cardiff and Hudds were proper shite, missing out on the title to Newcastle, Palace beating us in the play offs.

Are we a team who beat the big names, but don't win the big games. Someone said above that people would remember this season more for beating Chelsea and Liverpool even if we'd beaten Fulham and Brentford. That sounds like glory hunting to me. But everyone is beating up on Chelsea and Liverpool, very few are beating the other two.

Let's hope we're save it all up for Spurs next week, Arsenal soon after, Newcastle on the road and the Manchesters in the Cup.
Yes, you have fairly summarized the life of a football fan who sticks with his club. There will be highs and lows. Your criticism can be leveled at every football club in the history of the game. Man City never win their ‘big’ games because they don’t win the Champions League, which is their aim. It’s all very well then beating Arsenal, Man U etc but what about Munich and Madrid ? (I don’t actually know who they have lost to as I don’t watch it but you know what I mean). Are they just a club that have found their level ?

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No more than not bearing Forest, or Palace away, or Leeds away…… :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here