Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just found out i will miss first game at Falmer

Cromwell Road Gull

Jul 2, 2008
Trying to convince myself that the preseason warm up games will make up for it. Michels testimonial game perhap's, but think im just kidding myself.

Imagine a perfect Storm scenario of us being promoted to the Championship and we have Palace 1st game at Falmer .. now that i would stay for.

D

Deleted User X18H

....i think!

Will first game be the 2 nd league game (13th Aug)of the season due to Pride clash?

It had better not be. Didn't Richard Hebbard say something about this al being sorted out.

Anyway Pride is being scaled right down from 2012 may as well start in 2011.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Went for my first visit in several months yesterday. Impressed is a massive understatement, but was surprised that there appears to be so much more to do structurally/superstructure wise, before the thing is watertight so they can begin to look at internal fit out etc.

Anyone know what the latest target completion date is? June 11 (to allow ramp up events before season start)?

I'm sure its all on time and very much under control (and no doubt Mr Bloom has some painful LAD provisions in build contract if Buckingham slips) but my guess is Buckingham isnt going to be able to hang around to hit that kind of target date.

Awaits flaming!!

D

Deleted User X18H

Went for my first visit in several months yesterday. Impressed is a massive understatement, but was surprised that there appears to be so much more to do structurally/superstructure wise, before the thing is watertight so they can begin to look at internal fit out etc.

Anyone know what the latest target completion date is? June 11 (to allow ramp up events before season start)?

I'm sure its all on time and very much under control (and no doubt Mr Bloom has some painful LAD provisions in build contract if Buckingham slips) but my guess is Buckingham isnt going to be able to hang around to hit that kind of target date.

Awaits flaming!!

Eh?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Why do they never move gay pride cos of the football?

Because the fixtures are announced in June. Gay Pride have to announce their date long before that. Therefore the police have no choice. However I can't see why they can't have a game on at the same time, although suspect the police will say otherwise. Hopefully though the club and the gay pride organisers and the police have been talking so that the dates are sorted already so that the first game at Falmer will be the first game of the season?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm pretty sure the first (proper) game at Falmer will be on Sky anyway. They'd be idiots not to show it given the fight to get there etc.

Humm yeah Brighton v Rochdale or Brighton v Daggers sounds like JUST the sort of game Sky want to be showing ahead of a top Championship game.

Just because the new stadium is a big event for us, it doesn't mean it's a big event for everyone else. Most people will not care.

D

Deleted User X18H

Because the fixtures are announced in June. Gay Pride have to announce their date long before that. Therefore the police have no choice. However I can't see why they can't have a game on at the same time, although suspect the police will say otherwise. Hopefully though the club and the gay pride organisers and the police have been talking so that the dates are sorted already so that the first game at Falmer will be the first game of the season?

So we are in the Championship and we get Leeds at home. On the train down you have your Leeds United fan and your regular cockney pride attendee..............hmmm!

It will not happen on the same day.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Humm yeah Brighton v Rochdale or Brighton v Daggers sounds like JUST the sort of game Sky want to be showing ahead of a top Championship game.

Just because the new stadium is a big event for us, it doesn't mean it's a big event for everyone else. Most people will not care.

Sadly this is true :lolol:

Unless we are a Championship side by that point, playing against a particularly Sky-friendly opponent (a la Newcastle last season), they will not give a shit that we have a new ground. Did anyone else care when Cardiff opened their new place? Sunderland? Derby? Uh-uh. It's only us who are really excited.

And as for the Pride scenario, well maybe the fact that it's always taken priority in recent years is because 100,000 people tend to attend that, against 6,000 for your average Withdean game, which probably explains why they have first call on police resources. Simple maths people, and not because of any pandering to certain parts of the community.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Awaits flaming!!

They're already doing internal fittings in the East stand.
Everything is on track. At the turn of the year it'll be all but finished, and this time next year they'll have announced a couple of ramp-up events to get the safety certificate in place for August.

Panic ye not.

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
I have it on good authority (1901 club presentation) that it is definat that the first league game will be at home on 6th august. This is now aparently set in stone.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
They're already doing internal fittings in the East stand.
Everything is on track. At the turn of the year it'll be all but finished, and this time next year they'll have announced a couple of ramp-up events to get the safety certificate in place for August.

Panic ye not.

Many thanks for that Easy.

Not panicking, just an observation from my visit (and dealings with commercial development-but nowhere near as complicated as Falmer!).

All I can say is thank God for Tony Bloom! That stadium is nothing short of miraculous in the circumstances!!!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I'm under the impression it is due to be completed around December time. The stadium was due to be completed in the middle of the season, but it was decided to move in at the start of the following season instead of mid way through the season.

D

Deleted User X18H

I have it on good authority (1901 club presentation) that it is definat that the first league game will be at home on 6th august. This is now aparently set in stone.

Thats when we were told by Hebberd.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
....i think!

Will first game be the 2 nd league game (13th Aug)of the season due to Pride clash?

If so then i am f***ed. Friends are getting married abroad that weekend - my Mrs is Bridesmaid but i am seriously contemplating not going.Cant see it going down well.

My only hope is a league cup game midweek but can i take that gamble?

Simple question, why would ANYONE get married during the football season, doesn't anyone know that's why we have July FFS?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Trying to convince myself that the preseason warm up games will make up for it. Michels testimonial game perhap's, but think im just kidding myself.

Imagine a perfect Storm scenario of us being promoted to the Championship and we have Palace 1st game at Falmer .. now that i would stay for.

There are two problems with early August:
1.As the Mrs works at a school, chances are if it around the 6th, then I would have thought we will be away also as we have to take holidays in the school holidays.

2. Cricket. having just got back playing after a year off injured , the season doesn't finish till September, so we will probably have a game that day.

To be honest, I would also look to go to some of the warm up events so missing the first game wouldn't be such a blow

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Nah, just a Brighton born Liverpool 'fanatic' who has been to Anfield once and asks "yeah i know you support Brighton but who is your premiership team?"
I think you just answered your own question - you know what the right thing is to do.

:falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here