Just back from "the siege of London Road"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Not wishing to detract from the performance, but, do you think we were so dominant because they were down to 10 men and therefore we had more room to play the passing game?

That was part of it but we were well on top before that - and the red card was a direct result of the frustration that Boro must have felt.

Something else about playing against 10 men though. Gus said that often it makes them more determined - but our passing was just so good that we had them chasing shadows (and 65 mins is a long time to be doing that). You could see them getting more and more demoralised as they got tired and saw the game going. After the third the only outfield player that kept his head up and ran his heart out was Mackail-Smith (Lewis, of course, was too busy to do anything else). With an attitude like that he could be just the sort that Gus might be looking for. In a different sport Sussex signed Luke Wright after he was in a Leicestershire team totally thrashed when we won the County Campionship - but his 'never say die' attitude was amazing.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Everyone extolled the Charlton game as the best in years - did Posh eclipse even that very-recent performance?
You who went to both, please elucidate.
Yes it was, there were times against Charlton where they did offer things but we were of course the fully deserved winners but yesterday against Peterborough was something else....this was supposed to be a top of the table clash and we absolutely thrashed them. They just could not live with us at all in every facet of the game and before the sending off we were 1-0 up and that is just an excuse (if they want to use it that's up to them, what do I care about Peterborough!) but those who were there know. At half time it was 2-0 and most of us were just talking about how many, not can Posh get back into it. Their keeper stopped it being utterly humiliating for them.

The only thing that concerns me is can Gus keep the players feet on the ground (and injuries). Also I think at home games the crowd need to be patient because from now on I can only see opposition managers "parking the bus". Away games actually might be better for us as managers really owe it to their home fans to at least try and attack. But at the moment though all is looking very good and to quote a great chant yesterday "we're f**king brilliant"

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not wishing to detract from the performance, but, do you think we were so dominant because they were down to 10 men and therefore we had more room to play the passing game?

On this point, yes it's obviously a massive advantage having the extra man, but how many times do you see teams waste that advantage, or the team with 10 men actually get a bit better - it happens quite alot.

Our players knew exactly what to do to make the extra man count. I remember at the start of the season when Greer was sent off Poyet said the players had practiced what to do when you're a man down, after yesterday I've got no doubt that how to play when you're a man up has been covered as well.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
At half time it was 2-0 and most of us were just talking about how many, not can Posh get back into it.

Same here.

A guy stood right by us was worried we would throw it away and that the Posh would come out all pumped up and attack. He wanted us to sit back and defend our lead. :facepalm:

All i could say to him was, NO F***NG WAY. We were destroying them, and had nothing to fear. The only option was to keep coming at them. EVERY attack we had looked like it could end in another goal. We were simply that good. :bowdown:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One thing no one's mentioned was the ref going over to our bench and then Gus telling us all to calm down. What was wrong? I didn't see anything except happy singing fans

If it's when I think you mean, we were waiting to take a corner. The ref picked something up in the penalty area and took it to the fourth official. It was just after the flare had been thrown, so I guess Gus didn't want anything to spoil the day.

scousegull

Apr 15, 2008
As a rare poster, it takes something pretty extraordinary for me to voice my opinions on NSC, and that's what yesterday was - extraordinary. What a privilege to witness that. As a football fan, I would have happily paid to go and see any team play like that. But when it is the Albion, well it just doesn't get any better! We were truly outstanding and outclassed them in every department from start to finish. Yes, they played a large portion of the game with 10 men, but I really don't think it is fair on our players by using that as an excuse, as it detracts from their performance.

Charlton was a fantastic performance and result, but to then prove that it wasn't just a one-off is the real test. To do this, and completely dominate another team considered to be major promotion contenders away from home, who had previously averaged 3.5 goals a game, was tremendous.

Yesterday's display must have sent shock waves through the league. We are a team to be respected and who deserve to be where they are!

Oooh, Gus Poyet is magic...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
You know when people say after a great performance It could have been 6-0 ? and you think yeah.

We that up there yesterday SHOULD have been six or seven, and could have been nine or ten.

I've been going over forty years and I have never seen us destroy a team so completely. And here's a stupid thought I had on the way home, I'm already looking forward to the season review DVD that I'll probably get sometime in March :clap2:

Proud today. And so will every Albion fan be.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I just want to echo all that's been said on this thread.
I've been watching the Albion for 48 years and I can't remember another game where we were so dominant.
Never been so proud to be a Brighton fan.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Quite simply, we are absolutely Gus-tastic. During the second half, I was just standing on the terrace laughing to myself at just how superb our football was; & how passionate our support is. Here's for lot's more of the same. Amazing, amazing day. :bowdown:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sometimes im football you win 5-0 with 5 shots and are flattered by the score-line. A lot of people who weren't there y'day seem to have missed the point that this wasn't one of those games which was about the score. It was the pass and move domination of the game that will long remain in my memory. Only thing missing was a casual side foot from Murray to an onrushing Bennett to grass-burn a drive into the bottom corner a la carlos alberto, such was the nonchalance and cool headed confidence we played with y'day!!!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports