Jordan Cousins

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
JFC is out of contract next summer.

Either

(a) Cash in.
(b) Cash in for less in January.
(c) Give him a new contract.
(d) See him walk away for no fee next summer.

Just to pick up on point d) Wouldn't we get a fee because of his age?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
JFC is out of contract next summer.

Either

(a) Cash in.
(b) Cash in for less in January.
(c) Give him a new contract.
(d) See him walk away for no fee next summer.

Got to be (a), as much as I like him, I just can't see him getting much game time with us next season. It'll be better for us and him if he's shipped out this summer.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
JFC was looking to be a good prospect with something to offer going forward in very much the same mould that we now hope Ritchie Towell will offer. We then seemed to coach him into a much more defensive role where he broke forward less, passed forward less, and took on the pick up and carry followed by the inevitable sideways/backwards pass role. Easy to understand that he might want to move on as much as we are keen that he should. Certain he can find a Championship club and hopefully we will do a deal on sell-ones and additions. Letting him go now is the right decision but as before (Cook & Elphick?) could easily come back to haunt us. But hey, that's football.

As for our other "on offer" midfielder, Ince is a big powerful unit and will always find a place somewhere but for me his passing is too laboured and deliberate and his footballing vision too limited to allow him to succeed at this level for long. I think he will potentially get a Championship club (he is good enough as his games for us and Fulham show) but will soon slip down the pecking order as he doesn't show enough consistently enough to be an automatic starting choice.

Last edited:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
He burst on th scene with his goals against the south coast club. But gradually as his England prospects blossomed, for me he became a bit billy big b0110x, and stopped working sufficiently hard to progress his career at pace. Interesting parallel with Delle Alli, as they both ended up at MK Dons, Alli setting the place alight and moving on as a young kid, whereas with JFC they felt he was good but a bit meh. I think deep down Jake thought there was a red carpet career laid out before him, but he forgot to put in the hard work and thought he could just free wheel. Now he really has to put in some hard work to kindle his prospects. I think it will be League One to be honest.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
he became a bit billy big b0110x,.

Based on WHAT?

and stopped working sufficiently hard to progress his career

Based on WHAT?

Jake thought there was a red carpet career laid out before him, but he forgot to put in the hard work and thought he could just free wheel..

Seriously, unless you have some background insight you'd like to share with us, this is a pretty spiteful, unsubstantiated slur on a young player's attitude.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He burst on th scene with his goals against the south coast club. But gradually as his England prospects blossomed, for me he became a bit billy big b0110x, and stopped working sufficiently hard to progress his career at pace. Interesting parallel with Delle Alli, as they both ended up at MK Dons, Alli setting the place alight and moving on as a young kid, whereas with JFC they felt he was good but a bit meh. I think deep down Jake thought there was a red carpet career laid out before him, but he forgot to put in the hard work and thought he could just free wheel. Now he really has to put in some hard work to kindle his prospects. I think it will be League One to be honest.

Not convinced about the comparison with Alli, who is a far more physical player and is rapid, two qualities that JFC lacks.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Based on WHAT?

Based on WHAT?

Seriously, unless you have some background insight you'd like to share with us, this is a pretty spiteful, unsubstantiated slur on a young player's attitude.

Agree. I met Jake at one of the sponsors dinners and he was a thoroughly decent kid. No attitude from him whatsoever.

That said, I do not feel that he really fits the way we play at them oment and I really see his future (and he should have one in this game) flourishing elsewhere. Given his success with the U21's I'd imagine there is a reasonable market for him and we should seek to cash-in as we continue to add to our squad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agree. I met Jake at one of the sponsors dinners and he was a thoroughly decent kid. No attitude from him whatsoever.

That said, I do not feel that he really fits the way we play at them oment and I really see his future (and he should have one in this game) flourishing elsewhere. Given his success with the U21's I'd imagine there is a reasonable market for him and we should seek to cash-in as we continue to add to our squad.

Yep - don't disagree at all. He doesn't fit with our current style of play, and staying is doing his career prospects no good at all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Only good enough to play in five-man midfield" == "not good enough" if you ask me.

He's not good enough at SOME things, to suit a certain style of play (principally he isn't mobile enough).

To say he's simply 'not good enough' because he can't play one style, just isn't a fair or logical conclusion to draw.

Could James Wilson or Sam Baldock play up front together effectively, as a front two? No. That doesn't mean that either is 'not good enough' - just that they need the system / players around them, to be right.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Just had a text off my charlton pal.
He reckons it's a goer and thinks Cousins was better for them than Stephens was.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
He's not good enough at SOME things, to suit a certain style of play (principally he isn't mobile enough).

To say he's simply 'not good enough' because he can't play one style, just isn't a fair or logical conclusion to draw.

Could James Wilson or Sam Baldock play up front together effectively, as a front two? No. That doesn't mean that either is 'not good enough' - just that they need the system / players around them, to be right.

Your analogy is wrong.
Could James Wilson or Sam Baldock play up front ON THEIR OWN would have been correct.
Ince or JFC could would probably be ok in a four man midfield in L1

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

"Only good enough to play in five-man midfield" == "not good enough" if you ask me.

I think we have to be careful not to generalize about 5-man Midfield.. it maybe more accurate to talk about 3-man central midfield, that we would associate obviously with 4-3-3. The flexibility to switch that to 4-5-1 when needed is clear, but the 3 man central midfield stay in the same shape. So I think players like JFC could play in a 3 man midfield, and that isn't hard to imagine with the attacking options we have and the quality of full-backs we have.. I agree, I think that JFC is not necessarily at the level we need, but I am not sure I agree its because we would have to play a 5 man midfield.. having players that suit different formations might also be part of our evolution - we know CH likes 4-4-2, but he may look at players and think we have a chance of playing differently when needed?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Your analogy is wrong.
Could James Wilson or Sam Baldock play up front ON THEIR OWN would have been correct.

On their own would be a simpler analogy, accepted. So, the point stands.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Your analogy is wrong.

Spot on.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Did England use a five-man midfield?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I feel really sorry for JFC.

The 16 year old we saw spraying passes around and scoring against Southampton doesn't really exist any more. Personally I think if he'd been allowed to flourish as an attacking midfielder he would've come on in leaps and bounds and quite possibly be playing at the top level now.

As it is, 3 successive coaches have misused him and any flair he once possessed has been coached out of him, with Sami delivering the knockout blow of playing him as a deep lying DM, a role which he had neither the physique or the skill set to play in.

There seems to be a bit of alchemy about developing young players - given the correct circumstances and environment they can make a quantum leap and turn into a world beater almost overnight like Kane and Ali did. Just as easily they can disappear without a trace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here