Jonathan Calleri

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
It just seems a bit out of our reach don't you think? Well done to the Club if they are chasing these two but I think it'll be fruitless. They'll use us as leverage to get a bigger European team.

I would be dumbstruck if we got one of them let alone both of them! Calleri, the darling of Argentinian football and a current Uruguyan international? If only..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Everything I see or hear about Calleri makes me think he IS coming, and it'll be pre-announced in late December. We've got eight games until December that might just prove crucial in solidifying his view. The good news is that these games aren't too taxing, with Burnley away the toughest. I suspect that we might get points against the other away teams, who look as though they'll finish nearer mid-table (Leeds, Sheff Wed, Reading), with the possible exception of Reading. Our home games are against teams that we'll have to be looking to wine if we want to challenge for the top six, or even automatic promotion, and want to attract Calleri.

And why us? He'll be coming to Europe, that looks nailed on. This probably means Italy, Spain or England. His game looks well suited to English football, he's playing alongside Tevez who's spent considerable time here. So, if England, why us? Half a season in the Championship will be good to acclimatise him to the style of football, conditions, language, culture, etc. That means that if we go up, and he helps us up (for we need a decent striker to help us up), he's then playing in the PL; if we don't go up, I can see him moving on swiftly. But, hopefully for an increased fee.

Ridiculously optimistic, granted, but not an impossible scenario.
No.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Everything I see or hear about Calleri makes me think he IS coming, and it'll be pre-announced in late December. We've got eight games until December that might just prove crucial in solidifying his view. The good news is that these games aren't too taxing, with Burnley away the toughest. I suspect that we might get points against the other away teams, who look as though they'll finish nearer mid-table (Leeds, Sheff Wed, Reading), with the possible exception of Reading. Our home games are against teams that we'll have to be looking to wine if we want to challenge for the top six, or even automatic promotion, and want to attract Calleri.

And why us? He'll be coming to Europe, that looks nailed on. This probably means Italy, Spain or England. His game looks well suited to English football, he's playing alongside Tevez who's spent considerable time here. So, if England, why us? Half a season in the Championship will be good to acclimatise him to the style of football, conditions, language, culture, etc. That means that if we go up, and he helps us up (for we need a decent striker to help us up), he's then playing in the PL; if we don't go up, I can see him moving on swiftly. But, hopefully for an increased fee.

Ridiculously optimistic, granted, but not an impossible scenario.

I think Reading will be right up there and Leeds & Sheff Weds are both very tough fixtures. Brizzle and Preston at home are key to win. Admire your optimism though Sir :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Said it before and I'll say it again Cantor's gotta up his game:-

This chap ain't coming to the Albion, FACT.

You can't possibly say 'fact'. It's just lining yourself up to look a bit silly! Yes it seems v far fetched but not so much if you consider the Albion apparently flew PB to Argentina for negotiations....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can't possibly say 'fact'. It's just lining yourself up to look a bit silly! Yes it seems v far fetched but not so much if you consider the Albion apparently flew PB to Argentina for negotiations....
The only possible way the Albion can sing a player of JC's quality is if I categorically say it isn't happening.

Although in fairness this time I don't think even I can make this deal happen.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I realise it's not the same but who would have thought that we'd sign Vicente or indeed CMS when he had offers from Premier League teams.

I also agree it's unlikely that we'll pull this off but people saying "not happening"etc as if they're ITK are adding nothing. You don't know yet.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If one of our Directors has been back to Argentina, I believe this might have legs. Why would we go back if the club hadn't been given any encouragement in August?
We must have been seriously considered by all concerned in B.A. for Us to go back, when T.B. was asked about Vydra, he gave a very full explanation of why he wasn't coming to us, the fee for a loan, wages, etc, but nothing has come out of the club about either Argentina targets, and that appears to be the way we do things.
I have a feeling on this one, and think we may just get one, if not both

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I would require a long lie down if we signed either of these two. Sign both and I'd be shopping for new underwear.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
We were 100% interested in the summer, but it looked like he was going to be signing for Inter. For whatever reason, that deal didn't happen. Whether or not Inter go back again in January will be the crucial factor in our hopes of getting him.

However, the fact that we're being credibly linked with players of his calibre is absolutely fantastic. REALLY exciting times to be an Albion fan.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
If one of our Directors has been back to Argentina, I believe this might have legs. Why would we go back if the club hadn't been given any encouragement in August?
We must have been seriously considered by all concerned in B.A. for Us to go back, when T.B. was asked about Vydra, he gave a very full explanation of why he wasn't coming to us, the fee for a loan, wages, etc, but nothing has come out of the club about either Argentina targets, and that appears to be the way we do things.
I have a feeling on this one, and think we may just get one, if not both

Do we know a director has gone back there?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Do we know a director has gone back there?

Was about to ask same thing - I presume he's going off the tweet from the Argentine journo. Could well be true. I think we're pretty confident that Barber went out there in the Summer to try and sort a deal (the argus stated it as a fact & someone else said bloom refused to answer the question on a train earlier this season).

It looks pretty certain we'll be up there somewhere come January & I expect a few risks to be taken as a result - if Bournemouth can do it with Kenwyn Jones, than surely we can do it with someone...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports