Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jonathan Calleri

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Brian Owen using Hector Heredia tweet as source? not that he will admit it i suspect.

Quite possibly.

58a02385b2c9782d667d1be5a972e335.jpg

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
l travel the world taking wildlife photo's and l was in South America the other week.l will not say anything more,l meet a lot of people and when have l been wrong.

He was on a photo shoot for the rare lesser spotted Argentinian goal scorer . One was last seen in Nottingham in May 2014

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I really want to believe this, but it all seems a little too 'Iranian Winger' for me.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm excited, but I'm half expecting to get gazumped when a real heavyweight like Arsenal or Sheffield Wednesday come in for him.

Would be a brilliant signing though!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why does everyone keep putting Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday in the same bracket?

If one of England's major heavyweights comes in for Callieri, there is absolutely no way a middling club has any chance for him whatsoever. Not even little old Arsenal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I can't believe the player would want to sign for a 2nd tier club even if we are still in the top two come January.
Going by the average wage of the Argentine Premira Division, he'd probably double his wages at least. Add in the prospect of getting into the Premier League 6 months later, with either us getting promoted or by putting himself in the PL shop window in time for the summer transfer window, then I can see the attraction.

I still don't think this Hector Twitter account should be taken too seriously though.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Why does everyone keep putting Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday in the same bracket?

If one of England's major heavyweights comes in for Callieri, there is absolutely no way a middling club has any chance for him whatsoever. Not even little old Arsenal.

Because they are both massive clubs.
Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
http://www.mediagol.it/calciomercato/mercato-jonathan-calleri-verso-larsenal-il-presidente-del-boca-juniors-apre-a-una-cessione/

Market: Jonathan Calleri to Arsenal, the president of Boca Juniors opens to a sale
12/10/2015, 17:30

An attacker who has captured the attention of Palermo for weeks and weeks. The blitz Gerolin in Argentina and one of the Angelic (president of Boca Juniors) in Italy have created the right conditions for a transfer to Sicily. Jonathan Calleri remained a midsummer dream for Palermo and Iachini that subsequently has Djurdjevic received first, then Gilardino. Now the same striker class '93 can again become the target of some European teams: to be concerned are particularly Arsenal and Stoke City. They seem, however, the Gunners to do more seriously. "I can not rule out anything - said the number one club of Xeneizes, just Angelici -. If an offer arrives suited to our needs, the player can leave as early as January next ".

BR1GHT0N

Sep 21, 2015
Signing Calleri is totally realistic, but theres no chance that it will happen until late January. I say this because it will depend on two things: how serious we're looking as promotion contenders and also; Boca will want to squeeze out as much money as they possibly can.

Since selling Riquelme and Tevez over a decade ago, Boca haven't really received major sums of money for any of their players, so they will look to cash in on the apparent interest in Calleri. They have all but won the league in Argentina, and although Calleri has played a major part in that, re-signing the poster boy in the form of Tevez means that they will look to build around him for the next few years.

If we're up there, then we will push - whether it be for Calleri or someone else. Signing Zamora and keeping Dunk were major signals of intention from the board and I really believe that this season we're looking to 'go for it', and thankfully we've so far got it right on the pitch as well as off it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Signing Calleri is totally realistic, but theres no chance that it will happen until late January. I say this because it will depend on two things: how serious we're looking as promotion contenders and also; Boca will want to squeeze out as much money as they possibly can.

Since selling Riquelme and Tevez over a decade ago, Boca haven't really received major sums of money for any of their players, so they will look to cash in on the apparent interest in Calleri. They have all but won the league in Argentina, and although Calleri has played a major part in that, re-signing the poster boy in the form of Tevez means that they will look to build around him for the next few years.

If we're up there, then we will push - whether it be for Calleri or someone else. Signing Zamora and keeping Dunk were major signals of intention from the board and I really believe that this season we're looking to 'go for it', and thankfully we've so far got it right on the pitch as well as off it.

Interesting first post - welcome. Do you have any info to support this confidence? You seen to know the local football scene out there.

BR1GHT0N

Sep 21, 2015
Interesting first post - welcome. Do you have any info to support this confidence? You seen to know the local football scene out there.

Thank you very much.

In terms of information, since I was young I have 'followed' Boca after becoming pretty infatuated with Riquelme.

This year there is no question that they've got it right on the pitch, having previously not won the title since 2012. After taking over last year, Rodolfo Arruabarrena has done a terrific job in restoring the team to it's former glory. Signing Tevez for a real snip at just €6.5m has helped cement the teams position, as he's scored five goals in ten games. However his wages, along with Fernando Gago and Daniel Diaz, are astronomical in comparison to the rest of the team. Also, this season they were knocked out at the round of 16 stage in the Copa Libertadores, to arch rivals River Plate. Aside from it being majorly embarrassing to say the least, I'm sure you're aware of Argentinian fans' 'passion' which can sometimes resemble insanity, it cost them significantly financially in lost out sponsorship.

All in all, Boca are a selling team, they always have been and they always will be - the same with any non European heavyweight. Calleri is 22, their top scorer this season, and his name flitters around in terms of the Argentinian national side regularly. Every player has his price, and there's no chance of Boca being able to stop him from moving to Europe.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Agree with this, and thanks [MENTION=33539]BR1GHT0N[/MENTION]. I remain deliciously attached to this happening, although I'm in a clear minority as most reckon he's too good for us. My rationale is less informed than the above, but this is what I posted a few pages ago on this thread:

Everything I see or hear about Calleri makes me think he IS coming, and it'll be pre-announced in late December. We've got eight games until December that might just prove crucial in solidifying his view. The good news is that these games aren't too taxing, with Burnley away the toughest. I suspect that we might get points against the other away teams, who look as though they'll finish nearer mid-table (Leeds, Sheff Wed, Reading), with the possible exception of Reading. Our home games are against teams that we'll have to be looking to wine if we want to challenge for the top six, or even automatic promotion, and want to attract Calleri.

And why us? He'll be coming to Europe, that looks nailed on. This probably means Italy, Spain or England. His game looks well suited to English football, he's playing alongside Tevez who's spent considerable time here. So, if England, why us? Half a season in the Championship will be good to acclimatise him to the style of football, conditions, language, culture, etc. That means that if we go up, and he helps us up (for we need a decent striker to help us up), he's then playing in the PL; if we don't go up, I can see him moving on swiftly. But, hopefully for an increased fee.

Ridiculously optimistic, granted, but not an impossible scenario.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree with this, and thanks [MENTION=33539]BR1GHT0N[/MENTION]. I remain deliciously attached to this happening, although I'm in a clear minority as most reckon he's too good for us. My rationale is less informed than the above, but this is what I posted a few pages ago on this thread:

Everything I see or hear about Calleri makes me think he IS coming, and it'll be pre-announced in late December. We've got eight games until December that might just prove crucial in solidifying his view. The good news is that these games aren't too taxing, with Burnley away the toughest. I suspect that we might get points against the other away teams, who look as though they'll finish nearer mid-table (Leeds, Sheff Wed, Reading), with the possible exception of Reading. Our home games are against teams that we'll have to be looking to wine if we want to challenge for the top six, or even automatic promotion, and want to attract Calleri.

And why us? He'll be coming to Europe, that looks nailed on. This probably means Italy, Spain or England. His game looks well suited to English football, he's playing alongside Tevez who's spent considerable time here. So, if England, why us? Half a season in the Championship will be good to acclimatise him to the style of football, conditions, language, culture, etc. That means that if we go up, and he helps us up (for we need a decent striker to help us up), he's then playing in the PL; if we don't go up, I can see him moving on swiftly. But, hopefully for an increased fee.

Ridiculously optimistic, granted, but not an impossible scenario.

Well, I for one LOVE your positivity :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here