Jonathan Calleri

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
I'll try to help clear it up for people then.

He plays for Boca ****ing Juniors alongside Carlos ****ing Tevez and scored a ****ing rabona in front of ****ing Maradona. He is worth more than 1 million ****ing pounds.

This! Untested forward? He has formed a very successful partnership with Carlos Tevez! C-A-R-L-O-S T-E-V-E-Z!

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
Leo........... thats a short memory.............. i haven't forgotten mighty Federico Turenzio and genuinely thought (at the time) both Battipiedi and Baz plucked from Argentinian obscurity would be flair for a club like ours :lolol:

Boca Juniors playing alongside Tevez??.............. what the hell is happening to our crap club from Gillingham and Withdean, Only seems like last week (2008) when I was at, what was the Walkers Stadium delighted that we were able to cling for a lucky 0-0 against Leicester in league 1. Mickey Adams pt2, where our only tactic was to hoof it long for Nicky Forster to chase the few times we got anywhere near the ball.

This is all to much to take.

Bloom out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/7847262.stm

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'll try to help clear it up for people then.

He plays for Boca ****ing Juniors alongside Carlos ****ing Tevez and scored a ****ing rabona in front of ****ing Maradona. He is worth more than 1 million ****ing pounds.

LOL, this !

I think we are all struggling to come to terms with our club even being associated with shelling out something like 6 MILLION QUID for a player........let alone actually doing it. If this one comes off, we'll basically have everything everyone wanted/expected and more, with no loans. It really is quite incredible compared to last season.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We are surely not rich enough to gamble millions on another untried Argentine.... Leo had proven his worth in Europe, this guy would be a total leap in the dark....

Is languishing in the reserves in a Spanish second division side "proving your worth", although he had done more before that.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Our record with signing Argies is a bit worrying apart from leo who is now Spanish

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because he plays alongside Carlos Tevez doesnt make him a worldbeater neither does scoring a showpiece 1 off goal. I would sooner he scores 20 tap ins than 1 spectacular goal. I will believe this if and when we sign him. At $11m the expectation will be very high.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I hate the ITK thing, but I can't cope with the excitement on this one. That's why I'm in denial. Anyway, a trusted source, close to the epicentre, has messaged me today to basically say that the story has legs. The medical isn't a problem, as Husty says, as it will be conducted in Argentina. Apparently the Albion are willing to go to £8m. It's all too much for me, this. They do need to be rather quick, mind.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I hate the ITK thing, but I can't cope with the excitement on this one. That's why I'm in denial. Anyway, a trusted source, close to the epicentre, has messaged me today to basically say that the story has legs. The medical isn't a problem, as Husty says, as it will be conducted in Argentina. Apparently the Albion are willing to go to £8m. It's all too much for me, this. They do need to be rather quick, mind.

If he'd have been watching the match today he'll want to join asap!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
PROFILE: The 21-year-old Argentine attacker hit the headlines with a remarkable 'rabona' in the 2-1 win over Quilmes and has his sights set on the national team

By Ezequiel Scher in Buenos Aires
It was supposed to be all about Carlos Tevez. The 'Apache' was back at Boca Juniors and treated to a hero's welcome at the Bombonera for his much-anticipated return. But instead, it was another man who stole the limelight.

Jonathan Calleri started in attack alongside Sebastian Palacios in the game against Quilmes on Saturday, with Tevez in a slightly deeper role. And after Palacios gave the home side the lead, Calleri tried to set up the homecoming forward for a second in a breakaway attack.

However, his pass hit a defender instead and when the ball came back to him, the striker combined innovation, inspiration and improvisation to lob goalkeeper Walter Benitez with a remarkable rabona. It turned out to be the winner in a 2-1 victory and announced his arrival as a major talent as the images went viral all around the world.

"When the move started, I thought about shooting or passing to Tevez," he said afterwards. "I opted for the pass, but it was a bad one and so, as I don't have a left foot, I tried to chip it in with a rabona. I didn't think about it at the time, it was a question of seconds. When it went in, I couldn't believe it."

Calleri grew up in a humble family in the neighbourhood of Floresta in Buenos Aires and aspired to become an icon for local club All Boys like his idol Pablo Solchaga, a journeyman striker who scored 95 goals for the Blanquinegro.

A fiery forward, the 21-year-old's progress was halted by a six-month suspension at the age of 15 for blasting the ball at a referee in a youth fixture. But his father and his uncle convinced him to pursue his dream and after scoring five goals in 28 appearances for All Boys between 2012 and 2014, Boca came calling.

The move made few waves at the time and the Xeneize paid the relatively modest fee of $300,000 to sign the striker. Now in his second season at the club, however, he has moved ahead of the more high-profile Daniel Osvaldo in the pecking order at the Bombonera and his stunning strike on Saturday has been described as the best in an Argentine league match in the last 20 years - or since the days of Diego Armando Maradona.

Maradona was watching his beloved Boca from the stands on Saturday and was still celebrating Calleri's goal minutes afterwards. El Diego had come to welcome Tevez back, but ended up saluting another attacking talent.

Calleri, who was playing the second half despite a small fracture to his nose which he revealed gave him trouble breathing, is wanted by Palermo but says he is happy to stay at Boca and learn from Tevez and Fernando Gago.

"My desire is to stay here," he said. "I am going to stay at Boca. I can only get better alongside Tevez and Gago."

Indeed, the youngster is in the plans of Argentina coach Gerardo Martino already (along with Paulo Dybala, Mauro Icardi and Luciano Vietto), with Tata looking to select the Boca forward for next year's Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and perhaps as part of the full national team as well.

Calleri went to Brazil last year to watch the Albiceleste as a fan shortly after his move to Boca. He was in Belo Horizonte to see Lionel Messi's fantastic finish in the last minute seal a hard-fought 1-0 win over Iran in the group stages and ended up defending the Barcelona forward.

"I told some of the fans to shut up," he said. "Because they had been insulting Messi before the goal. I forgot that I was a player. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

By the time the next World Cup comes around, however, the two could be lining up together in Argentina's attack.

"I have learned to wait, to be patient and to handle the pressure," Calleri added. "Instead of thinking 'I can't do it', I think positively and visualise the moves now. By thinking positively, I know I can go far."

At the age of only 21, there appears little doubt about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports