Johnson out

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The RFU is in a shambolic state and that's not conducive to getting the best man for the job now.

Johnson has to go because he's taken the team backwards during his tenure. They can't seem to stop shipping penalties and this lack of discipline has taken a hold off-field as well.

Also, you have to wonder about selections. His old pals / Leicester bias is particularly disappointing - Chris Ashton was brought into the team 4 or 5 matches too late, and when he did get a chance the 6 Nations had already been lost.

There are other decent players out there who he doesn't pick. Just with my team Saracens alone, Farrell, Short and Botha all need to be given opportunities, in particular Farrell who has to be the long-term successor to Wilkinson.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quick point of order - Wales had Steve Hansen (Kiwi) in charge at the last World Cup and were dire. So it's more about the right coach.

).

Whoops that one passed me by, I was thinking of only Henry and Gatland when I was posting that.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
in particular Farrell who has to be the long-term successor to Wilkinson.

Ruddy 'eck - I had forgotten about him. I thought he was fantastic in the Premiership Final. A really good player. That was the first time I had seen him in the flesh, and I remember being more impressed than I had from watching ITV4's highlights, which isn't always a good barometer for player quality. He was really good that day - first to the tackle, excellent kicking and great distribution.

Remember we won it in 2003 and got to the final last time. This has clouded Johnsons judgement in holding on to too many old players because of a misguided sense of loyalty. Dead wood includes Tindall, Wilkinson and Thompson. Just listening to Youngs on SSN defending Johnson and saying that he did not think they played badly against France - what world do some of them live in. But above all their behaviour off the pitch was out of order -now Tuilangi, one of the better players, risks life and limb by jumping of a ferry into Auckland Harbour. An ill disciplined bunch of idiots.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
London spiv clubs?? Have you looked at the Premiership table?? Quins are doing more than most clubs to develop English talent, the likes of Turner Hall and Lowe have come to the fore and now they're bringing on great prospects in the pack such as Wallace and York. The problem with English Rugby is the way it's run from the top that's why a lot of grass roots clubs are currently petitioning against the powers that be.
In terms of Johnson he was one of the greatest leaders on the pitch but he has not be able to replicate that as a coach, the figure at the post match carve up bore no resemblance to the great man who lifted the cup back in 2003. He has stuck with a poor coaching set up and his policy of overlooking certain clubs for players has become more and more apparent. Time for the great man to go along with most of the English RFU.
Monsieur Wabee

First let me confess I am no expert, however the table represents what right now with most of the top players on there way back from the World Cup ?

Maybe I am guilty of tarring all with the same brush, but with London Irish playing in that well known centre of the Capital's Irish community - Reading and then Wasps and Saracens seemingly playing wherever they pitch the big top, I think there is too much emphasis on marketing and demographics and not enough on player development and a winning mentality.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Johnson was an iconic player.He has very little as a coach.He has a group of players that are average at best without any who would make a current world xv.He has lost control of their discipline on and off of the pitch.His choice in coaching staff is poor.
He may be taking the blame for poor performances during this tournament but a change is needed.
Delon Armitage is a liability.Jonny and Tindall are well past their best.Flood will not ever be a world class player.Easter was always too slow.Ashton is a good finisher but not a great union player.
That will do for now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Quick point of order - Wales had Steve Hansen (Kiwi) in charge at the last World Cup and were dire. So it's more about the right coach.

Wales had Gareth Jenkins in charge at the last World Cup, Steve Hansen was the coach for the 2003 World Cup

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think Rob Andrew might need to have a rethink about his position but doubtless there will be a re-structuring of the managerial positions, and he will get a new job title and many will still look back and wonder why the f*** Brian Ashton got treated the way he did but meanwhile.......
English rugby union`s cycle starts again.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports