Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Lewis coming to the old Boots store at Clock Tower.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I wouldn't be surprised if the purchase is a fall back plan if the proposed development at the back of Churchill Square doesn't go ahead, and/or it gives them a strong negotiating position in securing a lease in it.

Why would they tie up working capital in buying the Boots building and then wait around for 7 years to start trading? As someone else has said they make their money in retail, not as landlords.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fak 'em........I still miss the listening booths @ Virgin

They didn't have actual listening booths though. There were headphones in the wall and you slumped on the beanbags in that weird area in the corner. Spent many a happy hour in there

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
They didn't have actual listening booths though. There were headphones in the wall and you slumped on the beanbags in that weird area in the corner. Spent many a happy hour in there

I remember it differently.....isn't that funny

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
That's great news. I can now go there and pay far more than elsewhere.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember it differently.....isn't that funny

It must be said that I wasn't always completely, shall we say, of sound mind ... memory plays many tricks but I'm pretty sure that the scatter cushions and bean bags weren't imagined

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
It must be said that I wasn't always completely, shall we say, of sound mind ... memory plays many tricks but I'm pretty sure that the scatter cushions and bean bags weren't imagined

Maybe the munchies, and a jumbo bag of marshmallows?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe the munchies, and a jumbo bag of marshmallows?

Ah no.... I was right. There were no booths, just the floored area.

Taken from My Brighton and Hove.

". I was on holiday with my mate Nigel and staying at my Nan's in Hove. There were people lying everywhere, all with very long headphone wires disappearing into different sockets in the walls and you had to hurdle over this vast array of stoned looking hippie types and their accompanying stretched and twirly wires to get to the counter. "

and "with a further semi-circle on a raised level behind, covered in cushions and headphones. People used to sprawl there all day and there was a fair sprinkling of 'residents'."

and "I bought most of my albums there when I was in my teens. I used to listen to albums whilst sitting on the cushioned area with the headphones on and you could browse for ages without any pressure from the staff"

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
Ah.....the raised bit, that strikes a chord......but you know, I think I can remember two booths too

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Ah no.... I was right. There were no booths, just the floored area.

Taken from My Brighton and Hove.

". I was on holiday with my mate Nigel and staying at my Nan's in Hove. There were people lying everywhere, all with very long headphone wires disappearing into different sockets in the walls and you had to hurdle over this vast array of stoned looking hippie types and their accompanying stretched and twirly wires to get to the counter. "

and "with a further semi-circle on a raised level behind, covered in cushions and headphones. People used to sprawl there all day and there was a fair sprinkling of 'residents'."

and "I bought most of my albums there when I was in my teens. I used to listen to albums whilst sitting on the cushioned area with the headphones on and you could browse for ages without any pressure from the staff"
That may be but it may also be that the shop was redesigned at some point. I remember the booths.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I can't see the point of putting a Waitrose in there, very little parking for shoppers so they can only buy what they can carry away. I expect they will sit on this and ramp the rents up.

Good news for olive lovers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here