[Football] Joey Barton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I remember when people laughed at the idea of 'foreign' managers in England. Villa had Dr Jozef Vengloš in 1991, and when it didn't work out, this was dismissed as 'because he's foreign'.

Now we employ managers who come here with barely any English, who then take sides into Europe, and nobody bats an eyelid.

I can see a woman managing an English league side some time in the next few years. Easy.

Lashing out at women having an involvement in the men's game, even as mere pundits, is the act of a bully. And a ****. I have always given Barton the benefit of the doubt (difficult childhood, mental health issues, etc.,) but there is no excuse for this.

The correct response, I suspect, is the one my mate Bill gave to a Scottish bloke trying to ponce 10 pence of us as we came out of the Nashville in Fulham in 1978. This was "sober up, ****".

(Bill received a head-but and a broken nose for his trouble, which is quite possibly what I would get off Barton for giving the same advice).
Or he could just be entitled to his own opinion. One that will be shared by a large proportion of football fans in the country, whether or not NSC likes it.

As someone who was a very talented player and played at the top level, you could argue that he is more qualified to offer this opinion than anyone on NSC.

He's still a f***ing **** though.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
If only he’d just wrote ‘Karen Carney’ instead of women - most would have agreed!
It's a shame really Carney seems to get so many big slots as some women pundits are very very good. I remember at the Euros a few years back Emma Hayes doing a tactical breakdown of both teams shape, formation and attacking dynamic in the Poland v Slovakia game, while on the other side on the more prestigious game you had Steve McMannaman who had referred to Benjamin Mendy as 'Mondy' for an entire champions league campaign, and referring to Liverpool repeatedly as 'the boys'.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is just clearly bollocks that you must have played the game to commentate. It would be like arguing that to be a top manager you must have been a top player. It is different skills.

Just as offering insight is a different skill.

Where does it stop? The game is so different now to when I started watching in the 80s and 90s. Should players from that era be banned because it is so different?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Give it 6 months, he will be playing the depression card or have gone full Matt Le Tiss.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wish Garth Crooks and Paul Merson would commentate on every game
Exactly, and Rob Green last night was dreadful.

There are good commentators and bad commentators, and gender shouldn't come into it. Similar with pundits. I like listening to Jill Scott and Bianca from Soccer Saturday, but dislike Alex Scott, mainly because of her accent, which grates.

As for Barton, he's just attention seeking.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's a shame really Carney seems to get so many big slots as some women pundits are very very good. I remember at the Euros a few years back Emma Hayes doing a tactical breakdown of both teams shape, formation and attacking dynamic in the Poland v Slovakia game, while on the other side on the more prestigious game you had Steve McMannaman who had referred to Benjamin Mendy as 'Mondy' for an entire champions league campaign, and referring to Liverpool repeatedly as 'the boys'.
Was discussing exactly that with @Fourteenth Eye @edna krabappel and @Hotchilidog before the game last night and you’re where I am. Carney is awful IMO but Emma Hayes knows more than most of the male pundits. Wasn’t unanimous on Carney though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or he could just be entitled to his own opinion. One that will be shared by a large proportion of football fans in the country, whether or not NSC likes it.

As someone who was a very talented player and played at the top level, you could argue that he is more qualified to offer this opinion than anyone on NSC.

He's still a f***ing **** though.
Everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've got to admit I can't get on with female football commentators.

I'm not sure what it is that I don't like though. I don't have a problem with female pundits/co-commentators or presenters and I have no problem with women commentating on other sports. It's just football commentary that I find annoying(for both men's and women's football).

It's not what they're saying - most of the male commentators talk absolute rubbish. Maybe its just the style of commentary that football 'requires' that doesn't lend itself to female voices. I dunno. I just find female football commentators kind of annoying. :shrug:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It is just clearly bollocks that you must have played the game to commentate. It would be like arguing that to be a top manager you must have been a top player. It is different skills.

Just as offering insight is a different skill.

Where does it stop? The game is so different now to when I started watching in the 80s and 90s. Should players from that era be banned because it is so different?
I think it depends on the game. For a huge international game in a tournament for example, I'd much rather listen to somebody co-commentating who has been there and experienced it for real. Listening to a female footballer who played when women's football was getting crowds of 300 people is not as insightful as listening to someone who has taken a penalty in a shoot out in a world cup quarter final or something. As much as they can claim it is the same thing, it isn't. In the same way that having a National League player co-commentating on a Premier League game wouldn't be.

As the 1st commentator it is completely different, because that is a communication skill rather than offering an experience. I don't like the sound of women commentators personally, but I don't really like any modern commentators. That's nothing to do with gender, it's more to do with acoustics. Having an old, posh, cultured-voiced man commentating just sounds so much more exciting and romantic to me. But there aren't many of them left doing it, and the style seems to have changed to being more about having encyclopedic football knowledge and constantly telling us statistics, rather than poetically explaining what is happening on the pitch. Old commentary was so, so much better. Barry Davies, Brian Moore, even Motson in his heyday. Whenever I watch old football videos on Youtube it's always striking how much better the commentary was then.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
What's that Joey? I can't hear you over all the hypocrisy...

GAvZv6oXkAEEIEV.jpg

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I think it depends on the game. For a huge international game in a tournament for example, I'd much rather listen to somebody co-commentating who has been there and experienced it for real. Listening to a female footballer who played when women's football was getting crowds of 300 people is not as insightful as listening to someone who has taken a penalty in a shoot out in a world cup quarter final or something. As much as they can claim it is the same thing, it isn't. In the same way that having a National League player co-commentating on a Premier League game wouldn't be.

As the 1st commentator it is completely different, because that is a communication skill rather than offering an experience. I don't like the sound of women commentators personally, but I don't really like any modern commentators. That's nothing to do with gender, it's more to do with acoustics. Having an old, posh, cultured-voiced man commentating just sounds so much more exciting and romantic to me. But there aren't many of them left doing it, and the style seems to have changed to being more about having encyclopedic football knowledge and constantly telling us statistics, rather than poetically explaining what is happening on the pitch. Old commentary was so, so much better. Barry Davies, Brian Moore, even Motson in his heyday. Whenever I watch old football videos on Youtube it's always striking how much better the commentary was then.
Doesn’t Adam Virgo do our Europa matches? I guess that goal vs Swindon was a biggie. He also did my mate’s national league north play off final vs kiddie. He gave me a little wave when I shouted SEEEAAAAAAGULLLLLS - I am mid 40s.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've got to admit I can't get on with female football commentators.

I'm not sure what it is that I don't like though. I don't have a problem with female pundits/co-commentators or presenters and I have no problem with women commentating on other sports. It's just football commentary that I find annoying(for both men's and women's football).

It's not what they're saying - most of the male commentators talk absolute rubbish. Maybe it’s just the style of commentary that football 'requires' that doesn't lend itself to female voices. I dunno. I just find female football commentators kind of annoying. :shrug:
I’m happy to take it on a case by case basis. Screechy commentators ARE a difficult listen - but not every female commentator falls into this. Vicky Sparks’ voice is awful IMO, but Pien Meulensteen is one of the best currently out there 🤷‍♂️

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I’m happy to take it on a case by case basis. Screechy commentators ARE a difficult listen - but not every female commentator falls into this. Vicky Sparks’ voice is awful IMO, but Pien Meulensteen is one of the best currently out there 🤷‍♂️
I'm with you here. I can't watch or listen to a game that Vicky Sparks is commentating on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports