Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joey Barton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not a clue who has gone for jobs or not or their abilities - of course the best person should get the job. But there has been a sudden massive influx of female pundits and comms into the men’s game and it does seem like box ticking. Same as getting male pundits onto the women’s game TV bits when some clearly aren’t that knowledgeable on it. It’s great to have diversity but it can / has gone a bit too far in box ticking now for me. Too scared to have an all male panel in the mens game sometimes it seems… That much I think is true and I’m quite happy to speak my mind on it as many are scared or afraid to say it. They can’t all suddenly be there at once and ready and have earned it. I’m sure Stephen Caulker said something the other day about suddenly not getting a job he’d been offered etc (cba to look it up) but none of us can say the reasons for sure, and I think appearance, gender etc is being used as part of the selection process. Same as the playing level being used for shite pundits too - it’s not just gender.
So you haven't got a clue how people got their jobs…..but you say it seems like box ticking. How do you come to this conclusion with, as you say yourself, no evidence?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last edited:

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
To be honest I'd like to do away with all pundits and co-commentators on tv anyway. With a couple of exceptions (Danny Murphy, Robbie earle) they are all dreadful. I'll make up my own mind about the match/incidents thanks very much.
Bottom of the steaming pile for me are Stephen "hahaha" Warnock, Owen, that Farah woman, Tim bleeding Sherwood and Mers of course. Oh and Jim "PLEASE stop talking for just 1 minute" Beglin.
These days the telly is switched on bang on kick off and off again as soon as I see the ref move his whistle to his mouth. Amazon's "stadium fx" was a godsend over Christmas.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’m well aware of the story. It’s why she’s untouchable, even though she’s awful.

To deconstruct Barton, we need to look at what he isn’t saying, as well as what he is. I’d have no real problem with him going for her if he was also going for Merson, who is the worst pundit on telly, and pointing out that Merson only got his job because he’s one of the lads and only keeps it because he ticks the addiction box. For some reason Joey seems to be reluctant with that.
If you put Merson and Aluko both on co comms together with no additional support / anchor both would be legitimately found out very quickly.

Agree, she will be seen as untouchable, not her fault per say but she will know the value add

Merson continues to spout nonsense and these days just shouts “ waat you orn about” or “av a day orrrrf” at Mike Dean. He’s only been kept on to avoid the full clean sweep of the old guard. I can’t say this as factual but does make you wonder why he was the chosen one, again potentially keeping an alcoholic busy on a Saturday to avoid being seen as complicit to the any potential next episode.

There are better , more capable people out there to do the role.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Isn't Joey Barton like the Donald Trump of Football? Completely useless, loves his own opinion, misogynist, insult throwing "woke, snowflake etc etc" rather than useful debate, questions everything rather than admit he doesn't understand it, blah blah blah....why are people paying attention? Are people following him on twitter to witness the stupidity or do they really follow him for his (apalling) insight?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m quite happy to speak my, by my own admission completely uniformed, mind on it as many are scared or afraid to say it.
corrected for you.

You repeatedly said in that post, you do not know how pundits get their jobs….but then say it seems like box ticking. :shrug:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If you put Merson and Aluko both on co comms together with no additional support / anchor both would be legitimately found out very quickly.

Agree, she will be seen as untouchable, not her fault per say but she will know the value add

Merson continues to spout nonsense and these days just shouts “ waat you orn about” or “av a day orrrrf” at Mike Dean. He’s only been kept on to avoid the full clean sweep of the old guard. I can’t say this as factual but does make you wonder why he was the chosen one, again potentially keeping an alcoholic busy on a Saturday to avoid being seen as complicit to the any potential next episode.

There are better , more capable people out there to do the role.
disagree Merson , the show was successful due to the banter between the panel + Jeff

Merson is still capable of that but the fun and banter is now gone............as a result - so is the show

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
disagree Merson , the show was successful due to the banter between the panel + Jeff

Merson is still capable of that but the fun and banter is now gone............as a result - so is the show
I agree and Merson was quite funny in his own way. Jeff and Bianca were also very good bouncing off each other.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Two things about Barton:

1) He moans about people labeling him right-wing, but calls out literally everyone who disagrees with him as 'woke', 'lefty' it some other generalised tag.

2) If he (or anyone else, for that matter) doesn't like female pundits/presenters, just turn it off, because people clearly do (even the 'bad' ones). The main event is the match itself so, if you don't like the opinions of someone on the screen before, at half time, or after the game, just do something else! Or, failing that, just mute it :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I spent many years speaking up for Barton, recognizing the mental health issues (that lead to spur of the moment acts of madness). However all this is different. It is considered, written and published. Not impulsive. One can only assume he has gone full Icke/Le Tiss.

It seems to be a genuine phenomenon: some people can see that their impulses are wrong, and restrain them for years in all but spur of the moment situations, but at some point in their life they simply give into them, and let them hold sway. Barton is now a car crash and needs to have his platform (which he is using largely to immolate himself) removed for his own safety.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That said, he does seem to be in full on GBeebies mode!

That looks libellous. I don't think there's any evidence that Schofield had sex with someone under age, or that ITV covered up something that didn't happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here