Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It didn’t until Musk took over.
Not quite so but not far off.

When Twitter started it was a liberal echo chamber. The cleverness of having to get your message into a short number of characters was a challenge writers and comedians relished and the thickos couldn’t cope with.

It changed with “Alt Right” but very little was censored. They only banned Trump because he constantly and deliberately challenged their boundaries, like a few on here.

Since Musk has taken over it’s basically gone full circle. Now it’s a right wing echo chamber and all the hateful stuff is pushed to everyone via “For You”. You can write as much as you like if you pay for it. It’s actually very dangerous.

If Barton cared he’d be going pundit by pundit. Eni Aluko is terrible. Shit footballer, worse pundit. But Emma Hayes knows more about football than most male pundits, Merse is a halfwit who’s burned half his brain cells and Michael Owen is the worst of the lot.

I suspect Joey’s just not getting punditry jobs because he’s a fraud with a brother doing time for a racist murder.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not quite so but not far off.

When Twitter started it was a liberal echo chamber. The cleverness of having to get your message into a short number of characters was a challenge writers and comedians relished and the thickos couldn’t cope with.

It changed with “Alt Right” but very little was censored. They only banned Trump because he constantly and deliberately challenged their boundaries, like a few on here.

Since Musk has taken over it’s basically gone full circle. Now it’s a right wing echo chamber and all the hateful stuff is pushed to everyone via “For You”. It’s actually very dangerous.

If Barton cared he’d be going pundit by pundit. Eni Aluko is terrible. Shit footballer, worse pundit. But Emma Hayes knows more about football than most male pundits, Merse is a halfwit who’s burned half his brain cells and Michael Owen is the worst of the lot.

I suspect Joey’s just not getting punditry jobs because he’s a fraud with a brother doing time for a racist murder.
It wasn’t just Trump who was banned. Quite a few were, like Tommy, Katie Hopkins, Andrew Tate etc
The same standards are in place but if you report someone for racism, homophobia now, you get told it doesn’t break the standards.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It wasn’t just Trump who was banned. Quite a few were, like Tommy, Katie Hopkins, Andrew Tate etc
The same standards are in place but if you report someone for racism, homophobia now, you get told it doesn’t break the standards.
I’d personally prefer they weren’t banned, but that people’s responses to them, pointing out their idiocy/ criminality were given just as much weight as their OPs. That’s real neutrality / free speech. Under Musk all you get is right wing nonsense.

You can’t say the same standards are in place with different judgments. That’s a contradiction at best, a paradox at worst

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s interesting with him as he seems to be tweeting utterly antagonising nonsense, but the actual points he makes in this interview about box ticking are correct to a degree. It’s just that his tweets were not saying the same and he was generalising ‘all women’. Worth a watch:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I’d personally prefer they weren’t banned, but that people’s responses to them, pointing out their idiocy/ criminality were given just as much weight as their OPs. That’s real neutrality / free speech. Under Musk all you get is right wing nonsense.

You can’t say the same standards are in place with different judgments. That’s a contradiction at best, a paradox at worst
I kind of agree with that. Let them hang themselves, in a Louis Theroux kind of way.

But if you take that to the nth degree, then you end up with toxic nutters spouting their poison at will. I wouldn't like to be on the end of his bile, and I don't suppose any of his victims are feeling particularly great tonight. He shouldn't be allowed to do that to people.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
... but the actual points he makes in this interview about box ticking are correct to a degree.
Not really, the game has had for years people commentating / presenting it who have never kicked a ball. So his issue regarding the female players commentating falls flat on it's arse.

As for the television, it isn't football, it's television and that's the fundamental thing he's got wrong. Football programmes are not an extension of the football industry, in the same way the back page of the Sun isn't.

TV's job (and it some cases their legal remit) is to justify their existence by fairly reflecting their audiences who either pay a licence fee or subscribe. Other free to air services will have conditions in their licence.

It is not their job to mirror the employment make up of the football industry. Quite why anyone gives a shit about another persons opinion of the game is beyond me, unless like him they are sucked into a social media black hole.

Barton's beef is really odd, he's commentating on an industry that isn't his own and one he knows little about. It's purely on the basis of envy (and probable regret) that he isn't there himself when arguably he would have been good at it. But it ain't football Joey, it's TV.

He's made himself increasingly untouchable and is lashing out.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I kind of agree with that. Let them hang themselves, in a Louis Theroux kind of way.

But if you take that to the nth degree, then you end up with toxic nutters spouting their poison at will. I wouldn't like to be on the end of his bile, and I don't suppose any of his victims are feeling particularly great tonight. He shouldn't be allowed to do that to people.
So, I agree with your first paragraph.

As for the second, I’d personally like to see Aluko take him on and go on the front foot. Let’s debate this instead of dividing people into camps.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not really, the game has had for years people commentating / presenting it who have never kicked a ball. So his issue regarding the female players commentating falls flat on it's arse.

As for the television, it isn't football, it's television and that's the fundamental thing he's got wrong. Football programmes are not an extension of the football industry, in the same way the back page of the Sun isn't.

TV's job (and it some cases their legal remit) is to justify their existence by fairly reflecting their audiences who either pay a licence fee or subscribe. Other free to air services will have conditions in their licence.

It is not their job to mirror the employment make up of the football industry.

Barton's beef is really odd, he's commentating on an industry that isn't his own and one he knows little about. It's purely on the basis of envy (and probable regret) that he isn't there himself when arguably he would have been good at it.

But he's made himself increasingly untouchable and is lashing out.
Box ticking being that some pundits and comms seem to have had a fast track and are there just on what sex they are or what they look like (to be PC) and not their ability. Ie not the best people to do the job which is what it should be. That is without doubt true imo and the world has gone too far in trying to be PC to the point of taking opportunities away from those who are best qualified. It’s virtue signalling and there needs to be a line.

I’m not at all sticking up for his tweets which are sexist and generalisations. I was screaming in my head in that Morgan interview for Westwood or someone to point out his tweet said ‘women’ not ‘some women’ or ‘some pundits’.

I don’t agree with the top level thing per se as a rule - I find Michael Owen an absolutely shocking pundit and so nauseating - and know there are others that will be far better but won’t get a look in because they weren’t top players etc. Same as some of the female pundits suddenly getting loads of jobs because they’re female…

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
He’s gone about this the wrong way to raise some probably valid points

He will be cancelled shortly
What valid points? I haven't noticed any.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

“What do they know of cricket who only cricket know?”​

― C.L.R. James, Beyond a Boundary

Substitute football for cricket, but the meaning is the same.

Its the same as good players make poor managers. You don't need to have played international football, to recognise class or dross when you see it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Box ticking being that some pundits and comms seem to have had a fast track and are there just on what sex they are or what they look like (to be PC) and not their ability. Ie not the best people to do the job which is what it should be. That is without doubt true imo and the world has gone too far in trying to be PC to the point of taking opportunities away from those who are best qualified. It’s virtue signalling and there needs to be a line.

There isn't a fast track as you suggest.

Firstly, presenting live TV is incredibly hard. You've got to say something coherent in a small space of time, against a clock with a variety of people shouting in your ear piece.

So from the small pool of people who can actually pull it off, you've got a smaller pool of ex-sports people who can actually do it or want to do it.

There is more interest in the women's game, we have medal winning female footballers and they are applying for media jobs.

If a female is better at it, she is of course going to be employed over a man who isn't.

Unless you can point me to a number of disgruntled ex-footballers who think they have been discriminated against ? With their millions they could easily afford to take a sex discrimination case against the broadcasters.

We only have Joey Barton and he never had a chance in hell.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Eni Aluko is terrible. Shit footballer, worse pundit.
You're talking about the woman I love! Eniola Aluko is sweetly pretty, just what a real girly should be. I mean, speaking as a Feminist myself I can safely say this; that Eniola Aluko is a wonderful woman, and I want to protect her.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What valid points? I haven't noticed any.
That Eni Aluko is a terrible footballer and worse pundit is as valid a point as I can think of.

It’s not sexist or racist to say so. But the side notes should permanently state that there are white male ex players who are just as bad, or worse.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There isn't a fast track as you suggest.

Firstly, presenting live TV is incredibly hard. You've got to say something coherent in a small space of time, against a clock with a variety of people shouting in your ear piece.

So from the small pool of people who can actually pull it off, you've got a smaller pool of ex-sports people who can actually do it or want to do it.

There is more interest in the women's game, we have medal winning female footballers and they are applying for media jobs.

If a female is better at it, she is of course going to be employed over a man who isn't.

Unless you can point me to a number of disgruntled ex-footballers who think they have been discriminated against ?

We only have Joey Barton and he never had a chance in hell.
Not a clue who has gone for jobs or not or their abilities - of course the best person should get the job. But there has been a sudden massive influx of female pundits and comms into the men’s game and it does seem like box ticking. Same as getting male pundits onto the women’s game TV bits when some clearly aren’t that knowledgeable on it. It’s great to have diversity but it can / has gone a bit too far in box ticking now for me. Too scared to have an all male panel in the mens game sometimes it seems… That much I think is true and I’m quite happy to speak my mind on it as many are scared or afraid to say it. They can’t all suddenly be there at once and ready and have earned it. I’m sure Stephen Caulker said something the other day about suddenly not getting a job he’d been offered etc (cba to look it up) but none of us can say the reasons for sure, and I think appearance, gender etc is being used as part of the selection process. Same as the playing level being used for shite pundits too - it’s not just gender.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not a clue who has gone for jobs or not or their abilities - of course the best person should get the job. But there has been a sudden massive influx of female pundits and comms into the men’s game and it does seem like box ticking. Same as getting male pundits onto the women’s game TV bits when some clearly aren’t that knowledgeable on it. It’s great to have diversity but it can / has gone a bit too far in box ticking now for me. Too scared to have an all male panel in the mens game sometimes it seems… That much I think is true and I’m quite happy to speak my mind on it as many are scared or afraid to say it. They can’t all suddenly be there at once and ready and have earned it. I’m sure Stephen Caulker said something the other day about suddenly not getting a job he’d been offered etc (cba to look it up) but none of us can say the reasons for sure, and I think appearance, gender etc is being used as part of the selection process. Same as the playing level being used for shite pundits too - it’s not just gender.

So when you say "box ticking" you mean broadcast licence requirements / public service remits ?

Sheebo you are as confused as Barton. You are talking about television NOT football. It's a different industry one I do know about because I've worked in it my entire career.

It needed a kick up the arse because for years those employed by it were completely unrepresentative of those it was there to serve. It's started a bit on screen, but has still has a lot to do particularly at the upper levels. The taboo is still class across all the broadcasters.

Barton is conflating the two because he's f***ed up his TV career. He knows nothing about the employment practices of the broadcasters. he just wants it to reflect his very separate ex-industry and his somewhat myopic view of the world.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That Eni Aluko is a terrible footballer and worse pundit is as valid a point as I can think of.

It’s not sexist or racist to say so. But the side notes should permanently state that there are white male ex players who are just as bad, or worse.
I wouldn't know because I don't watch subscription TV (too mean to pay for them). There will be good and bad individuals, but age, race, sex, sexuality, gender, etc will not be a reason for that.

I would be a terrible plumber/electrician/brickie/roofer etc regardless of what I am because I am generally shit at that type of work. However I am incredibly good at what I actually do, because I am good at that sort of stuff (although it bores the pants off me) - as are lots of other people who are completely different to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here