Joe Mason and Lewis Grabban

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wasn't sure about the guy when he played at the Alex recently, ignoring that shambles of a penalty, they created very little & he looked a bit isolated. Then again, apparently he normally plays at the front of a 4-5-1 formation so at least he should be able to work our system out. Maybe that's what Oscar sees in him, someone who's scored goals playing in the formation we play.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The fact Bridcutt wasn't even in the squad for the last game suggests it's definitely a case of when not if.

I kinda agree although, allegedly, he has an injury (I doubt it, but who knows?).

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
What will happen here is that we'll buyt Grabben they'll buy Mason with the Grabben money and Mason will turn out good whilst Grabben will fail.

Pessimist much? Wasn't always like this :(

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wasn't sure about the guy when he played at the Alex recently, ignoring that shambles of a penalty, they created very little & he looked a bit isolated. Then again, apparently he normally plays at the front of a 4-5-1 formation so at least he should be able to work our system out. Maybe that's what Oscar sees in him, someone who's scored goals playing in the formation we play.

He was EXCELLENT. He did very well on the meagre scraps he was afforded by Howe's dull tactics. This is a GOOD aquisistion.

#pleased

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
To get promotion you need plenty of goals and that means goal scorers on the pitch and on the bench to come on when needed. It is just possible that we will have 3 goal scorers (if the Spurs lad comes good and this one comes off) and then maybe more as and when CMS / Hoskins get fit.

What we also need is for more than just Leo to be able to hold up the ball and play as the lone striker if needed. Also we need the ability to tackle back and do defending from the front.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nothing to say they hav'nt upped it though as it was reported a couple of days ago they were preparing a new bid, Just seems a bit odd to me we've waited best part of a week to bid for a Barnes replacement when it was known we wanted him.

True. But upping the bid, and meeting our asking price are two totally different things.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ulloa, Grabban and Mackail-Smith would give Oscar a good range of attacking options.

Wouldn't be massively surprised to see two start together considering the more central position Will Buckley has been played in a few times this season.

This. Oh, and not sure who would be second/third choice IF we land Grabban. Surely, it will depend on the opponents, game plan, etc. Grabban and CMS are totally different types of strikers, surely?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
What a great bit of biz this would be.
Getting rid of a fairly decent forward whose contract was about to expire and replacing him with a forward with a good record behind him this season and not breaking the bank in doing it.
CMS back next month meaning 4 options up front.
Bring it on.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I love it when we have players with pace in the squad. This news combined with the signing of Monakana yesterday has made this a good window for me already, even allowing for the fact that Bridcutt is probably on his way.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I thought he played really well. Quick, strong in hold-up play. Brought others into play. Their best player on the day IMHO.

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
OK folks... seriouslygutted.com :(

Looks like Lewis is def on his way down the M27 to you guys... Not a done deal yet but I can't see it not going through now tbh...

Grabbs is the only striker that has enabled us to playa settled side, with him on his own up front... So I don't know where we go form here... I just hope EH has someone lined up as his replacement...

In response to post earlier about spending money on a back-up striker, and not a creative winger... Well you will have both... Grabbs played for Rotherham as a winger, scoring 18 times in season from there...

The guy has pace, is skilful and an awesome work rate...

Hope he does well, and we obviously can't stand in the way of his ambition and money talks at the end of the day... Like I said ages ago... The only way he would come to you would be if he decided he wanted to... and he has!!! :(

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Ulloa, Grabban and Mackail-Smith would give Oscar a good range of attacking options.

Wouldn't be massively surprised to see two start together considering the more central position Will Buckley has been played in a few times this season.

I'm glad someone else has noticed. We don't play "1 up top" anymore as many seem to think. Defensively the wide forwards drop in to form a 4141, but going forward, Buckley, Barnes & LuaLua have all occupied the space in the channels either side/just off of the target man this season. We're a lot more narrow and definitely have a more fluid, out and out front 3 than under GP.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

Looks like Lewis is def on his way down the M27 to you guys... Not a done deal yet but I can't see it not going through now tbh...

Grabbs is the only striker that has enabled us to playa settled side, with him on his own up front... So I don't know where we go form here... I just hope EH has someone lined up as his replacement...

In response to post earlier about spending money on a back-up striker, and not a creative winger... Well you will have both... Grabbs played for Rotherham as a winger, scoring 18 times in season from there...

Hope he does well, and we obviously can't stand in the way of his ambition and money talks at the end of the day... Like I said ages ago... The only way he would come to you would be if he decided he wanted to... and he has!!! :(

The same every window it seems innit! Should be used to it by now. This could be a very bad turning point in the season...arse!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He was EXCELLENT. He did very well on the meagre scraps he was afforded by Howe's dull tactics. This is a GOOD aquisistion.

#pleased

You're probably right. I was probably still too busy sulking about the penalty to notice his good work.

On this note, I must still be scarred by years of players rejecting us due to the Withdean factor, as I still find myself occasionally surprised and delighted when it becomes apparent a decent player WANTS to sign for us over another club, even two and a half years down the line. Is that just me? :)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Spot on, I see him playing on the left side of our front 3.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Thank you for this. Good to hear from a Bournemouth fan that he is a good player out wide as well as playing as a lone striker. That is PERFECT for us IMHO. And, at least IF the deal goes through quickly you will have PLENTY of time to sign a replacement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports