Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Mason and Lewis Grabban

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yep - on his way to agree personal terms - very bad news for us I feel in the way the team plays, we are in real trouble if we can't get a replacement in.

Ah well, I'm used to feeling fed up in the transfer window. Just don't rub it in too much :nono: At least we can actually TRY and buy someone else!

IF it happens, you have PLENTY of time to bring in a replacement. Fear not.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
You all seem quite happy to take the word of the person on another message board who quoted a buy-out clause of £1.1 million but ignored the other on the same board that quoted it at £2.2 million. I have some news on that, and you can take this at face value or ignore it, I don't really mind. I'm afraid they're both wrong.

1. Grabban *did* have a buy-out clause of £1.1 million. Hence the reason a new contract was negotiated sharply in November when his form took off in the Championship

2. The new contract does have a clause in it but I believe it is slightly north of £2.5 million. There wouldn't have been much point in giving him a new contract if we didn't try to protect the investment

3. What my source didn't know is the exact wording of that clause but they understand it's a little less than straightforward. Speculating that could means lots of things from just that AFCB have to consider the offer (like Suarez at Liverpool), or that he has to be informed of the offer and allowed to talk to the club or it could be that it has to be accepted if other conditions are met, for instance if made by a club in the Premiership or in a promotion position

A quick scan of your board shows that you had plenty of people valuing Barnes at about £1.5 million and yet he only had six months left on his contract. Yet many also seem to think Grabban isn't worth £1 million. Football fans are a funny lot :)

It's the same on every message board and with every clubs fans though so I guess nothing unusual.

As an aside, if any of you can be bothered go to an AFCB forum and go back in history to before the start of this season. I'd say Grabban was a player written off as a Championship player by virtually all our fans before a ball was kicked. Just shows how wrong we can be as fans. He's undoubtedly shown he is Championship class and could just be the player to push you over the line. However, you won't get him on the cheap and from the chat here, it sounds like you don't want to spend the money. Especially if Mason is available for £600k.

Good luck and so forth. I think this is a consolidating season for us and next season we'll really see what we're made of at this level. I'm hoping that's a positive thing and that we won't be left in a dog-fight at the bottom.

What a load of shit.

How long did it take you to write that?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I doubt it. I'm not against him going for the right price, but Sunderland were miles away from an acceptable offer with their initial bid.

The fact Bridcutt wasn't even in the squad for the last game suggests it's definitely a case of when not if.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The bid has been made, I hopeful this will get done

a few hundred grand on top of the Barnes money. I am delighted.

He will give us real options up front.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Pretty much how most fans feel during the window. Just hope Lewis can fulfil his promise with us. The fee should enable you to get someone else in I'd think, at least there is still a couple of weeks to get it sorted and not five minutes.

Yup. Prem loanee perhaps, we'll see. Well I remember selling virtually our whole midfield to Burnley for 50K a few years ago. Got a bit better since! Still a pain tho..

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No, still nobody has made a bid. We're in talks but that's a different thing entirely.

The Bournemouth Echo is reporting that the bid has been accepted & the players has expressed a desire to talk to the Albion, stating that he's on his way to the Amex for discussions. Not a done deal but looking positive.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I doubt it. I'm not against him going for the right price, but Sunderland were miles away from an acceptable offer with their initial bid.

Nothing to say they hav'nt upped it though as it was reported a couple of days ago they were preparing a new bid, Just seems a bit odd to me we've waited best part of a week to bid for a Barnes replacement when it was known we wanted him.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
No, still nobody has made a bid. We're in talks but that's a different thing entirely.

I think you're a little out if date. A bid has been made and it has triggered the release clause. Are you missing that bit? Or are you saying that you know some info that's suggests naylor is wrong?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Source? The local press (both ends) and Sky seem to be saying otherwise.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Ulloa, Grabban and Mackail-Smith would give Oscar a good range of attacking options.

Wouldn't be massively surprised to see two start together considering the more central position Will Buckley has been played in a few times this season.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
You all seem quite happy to take the word of the person on another message board who quoted a buy-out clause of £1.1 million but ignored the other on the same board that quoted it at £2.2 million. I have some news on that, and you can take this at face value or ignore it, I don't really mind. I'm afraid they're both wrong.

1. Grabban *did* have a buy-out clause of £1.1 million. Hence the reason a new contract was negotiated sharply in November when his form took off in the Championship

2. The new contract does have a clause in it but I believe it is slightly north of £2.5 million. There wouldn't have been much point in giving him a new contract if we didn't try to protect the investment

3. What my source didn't know is the exact wording of that clause but they understand it's a little less than straightforward. Speculating that could means lots of things from just that AFCB have to consider the offer (like Suarez at Liverpool), or that he has to be informed of the offer and allowed to talk to the club or it could be that it has to be accepted if other conditions are met, for instance if made by a club in the Premiership or in a promotion position

A quick scan of your board shows that you had plenty of people valuing Barnes at about £1.5 million and yet he only had six months left on his contract. Yet many also seem to think Grabban isn't worth £1 million. Football fans are a funny lot :)

It's the same on every message board and with every clubs fans though so I guess nothing unusual.

As an aside, if any of you can be bothered go to an AFCB forum and go back in history to before the start of this season. I'd say Grabban was a player written off as a Championship player by virtually all our fans before a ball was kicked. Just shows how wrong we can be as fans. He's undoubtedly shown he is Championship class and could just be the player to push you over the line. However, you won't get him on the cheap and from the chat here, it sounds like you don't want to spend the money. Especially if Mason is available for £600k.

Good luck and so forth. I think this is a consolidating season for us and next season we'll really see what we're made of at this level. I'm hoping that's a positive thing and that we won't be left in a dog-fight at the bottom.

What a load of shit.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here