Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joe Lycett to shred £10k if Becks continues his World Cup promotion...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
you think Beckham needs digging out to the same extent that fifa needs digging out for awarding the cup to Qatar in the first place ...??
No-one is saying that at all. But, as a GLOBAL superstar, Beckham being called out for cashing in will get WAY more coverage and attention than directing anger/outrage at a bunch of corrupt suits at FIFA. Not that that shouldn't be done as well.

I mentioned John Oliver in an earlier post in this thread and he used his show on Sunday night to shine a light on FIFA/Qatar (again). I don't think the video is available anywhere, but it was on Sky on Monday night if anyone wants to catch it. Or read a summary like this one: https://www.fatherly.com/news/qatar-world-cup-2022-controversy-explained

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
An aspect that doesn't seem to be getting much coverage of late in this thread is beyond football and the world cup - David Beckham cashed in on being a gay icon, on being an ally for the LGBT community. He is "one of theirs" turning doing something that goes against their global community. FIFA didn't do that (they occasionally pay lip service to supporting LGBT communities but as a corporation they've never really been aligned), and Qatar have never claimed to support gay rights. That is an important aspect of why Beckham was targetted.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Everyone knows about Qatar, but many weren't aware of the Beckham link. The whole thing has without doubt damaged his public image, he's been called out.
This incident has done absolutely no damage to David Beckham whatsoever. Literally none. It's like saying throwing a stone from Brighton beach into the sea has harmed it. It hasn't.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don't think anyone has said that.

Some people, such as Lycett, have drawn attention to the bad aspects of Qatar and its world cup hosting. Others have taken the Qatari shilling to shill for them. People have commented on this.

There is no need to demand a discussion about who is completely and most fabulously correct and who is the chief architect of every evil. :shrug:

(And also, the fact this thread keeps being bounced justifies Lycett's 'stunt').
Anyone who has a brain knows how the Emirates and Saudis operate , they have abused foreign labour for hundreds of years but they are rewarded for their transgressions whereas Europeans are given the guilt trip.

f*** em.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This incident has done absolutely no damage to David Beckham whatsoever. Literally none. It's like saying throwing a stone from Brighton beach into the sea has harmed it. It hasn't.
Literally?

What counts as damage in your book? Just financial?

Oh, and again, still talking about it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
An aspect that doesn't seem to be getting much coverage of late in this thread is beyond football and the world cup - David Beckham cashed in on being a gay icon, on being an ally for the LGBT community. He is "one of theirs" turning doing something that goes against their global community. FIFA didn't do that (they occasionally pay lip service to supporting LGBT communities but as a corporation they've never really been aligned), and Qatar have never claimed to support gay rights. That is an important aspect of why Beckham was targetted.
That's why Attitude magazine gave JL the Beckham front cover to be shredded.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No-one is saying that at all. But, as a GLOBAL superstar, Beckham being called out for cashing in will get WAY more coverage and attention than directing anger/outrage at a bunch of corrupt suits at FIFA. Not that that shouldn't be done as well.

I mentioned John Oliver in an earlier post in this thread and he used his show on Sunday night to shine a light on FIFA/Qatar (again). I don't think the video is available anywhere, but it was on Sky on Monday night if anyone wants to catch it. Or read a summary like this one: https://www.fatherly.com/news/qatar-world-cup-2022-controversy-explained
David Beckham was a global superstar like 20 years ago... I don't think there is a single soul under the age of 20 who gives a shit about David Beckham. And he probably knows it and agreed this deal knowing that he's rapidly wandering into obscurity.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
David Beckham was a global superstar like 20 years ago... I don't think there is a single soul under the age of 20 who gives a shit about David Beckham. And he probably knows it and agreed this deal knowing that he's rapidly wandering into obscurity.
Swanny, as the only remaining member of your fan club on here, some advice, please stop using ‘like’ in your posts, you’re not a prepubescent girl and it is superfluous to requirements in written or spoken English.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Swanny, as the only remaining member of your fan club on here, some advice, please stop using ‘like’ in your posts, you’re not a prepubescent girl and it is superfluous to requirements in written or spoken English.
*like* :lol:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
ooo - just seen that Joe Lycett's christmas special is all about this, and it was planned all along to be so. Quel Surprise!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
ooo - just seen that Joe Lycett's christmas special is all about this, and it was planned all along to be so. Quel Surprise!
Didn't Joe say that he fully expected Beckham (and his people) to completely ignore his request? So, in that respect, it was all planned. But, as predicted by many, the talk of Qatar has firmly shifted from fatalities to football since the whole thing began.

A good time for JL to bring it all up again!

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
What negative impact do you think this self-serving stunt by a lesser known person in the UK has had on David Beckham?
I’ll answer this. David Beckham’s appeal to advertisers is that he has high levels of appeal to both straight and gay communities, he has historically been seen as an ally. So, DB taking the Qatari money alienates a significant proportion of those who have previously seen him as a positive influence.

The impact will not be felt in Beckham’s current contracts where he’s already been paid, but marketing agencies and brands looking for a figure with broad appeal across both gay and straight audiences will now be looking elsewhere. He’s blotted his copybook as far as the gay community are concerned, and that reduces his market value. There will be a lot of people within the gay community who have actively contributed to his success, and they may be less keen to assist him in the future.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't and wouldn't dream of speaking for my own community (sad bored lonely middle aged men with phenomenal hair) let alone another, but the upshot of this campaign has reminded me:-

Beckham = bad.
Joe Lycett = good.

Having been a big fan of Becks since Greece, although that fandom was never marketable.
Him taking the money didn't quite pass me by, as such, but it was never really front and centre in Stat World or properly put into context.

Joe changed that correctly bringing to the fore leaving with no where to go but "f**k you Beckham".

That in itself is as empty as my previous appreciation, but if Joe's campaign can move me I'm fairly certain it'll make a difference with those who actually matter.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
it hasn't , it raised the profile of a niche comedian ....slightly , not even funny , English people have forgotten what funny is.
Go on then, I have to ask.

Who is in fact funny? What should we be laughing at Syd? What have we forgotten?

FWIW I , wrongly apparently, find Joe Lycett to be pretty funny. I like his delivery, his timing is good and his stunts are comical and mischievous. Poking fun at the absurdities and injustices in life is a good target for comedy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here