Joe Cole spotted at the Amex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Interesting. Bridge, Upson, now perhaps Cole. We might start to get a reputation as a place where older premier league players could come and play football; they know they won't get the wages but will be on the pitch week in week out, and although that won't appeal to many players it will appeal to some. Good deal all round if it happens.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I know a few hammers fans who think he's a complete waste of space..... Past it and never fit. Would play less than Vicente.

Let's hope he doesn't join

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Barry Fry came through Lower West after the game does it mean he is going to be the next manager or Director of Football.

I would like him here doing the Head of football operations job, as he has a better track record in bringing in talent into his club than the guy we have currently doing the job.

Dec 29, 2011
I know a few hammers fans who think he's a complete waste of space..... Past it and never fit. Would play less than Vicente.

Let's hope he doesn't join

More injury prone than Vicente is what I've heard too. If he did join, hopefully the top class training facilities and less physical Championship works in his favour to keep him fit.

getofftheropes

bossa nova
Sep 4, 2009
brazil!no littlehampton
Interesting. Bridge, Upson, now perhaps Cole. We might start to get a reputation as a place where older premier league players could come and play football; they know they won't get the wages but will be on the pitch week in week out, and although that won't appeal to many players it will appeal to some. Good deal all round if it happens.

Used to happen all the time,would be great to see Cole in an Albion shirt.:mad:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Presumably both Cole & Lampard will still be in some kind of contact with Bridge and if he has given us a glowing review then these moves could actually be on, Upson must know them both to some degree as well. Very exciting as no doubt both could still tear this league a new one when fit and motivated.

Dec 29, 2011
Presumably both Cole & Lampard will still be in some kind of contact with Bridge and if he has given us a glowing review then these moves could actually be on, Upson must know them both to some degree as well. Very exciting as no doubt both could still tear this league a new one when fit and motivated.

Lampard isn't going to sign for us.. The difference between him and Cole is Lampard could still play for a top ten team, and would be the best player of a bottom 10 team. Why would he come to the Championship for lower wages?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I wouldn't be suprised to see a couple of decent players come in for next season.
I suspect the reson we haven't spent much this season is that Tony Bloom has told Oscar whatever budget is left can be taken into next year. I think we may have a bit more to spend next season.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

You make it sound like the Amex is going to become a retirement home for washed up players!

The odd experienced ex premier league head will be fine but not 3 or 4 at a time.

I would like to think that the Academy within a few years will start producing young motivated players that are good enough to maintain a first team place and who won't demand massive salaries.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
You make it sound like the Amex is going to become a retirement home for washed up players!

The odd experienced ex premier league head will be fine but not 3 or 4 at a time.

I would like to think that the Academy within a few years will start producing young motivated players that are good enough to maintain a first team place and who won't demand massive salaries.

Actually I think it would be a perfect complement to the academy and the youth players. Mix up the experience of the older players with the enthusiasm and raw talent of the younger players and see what comes out.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nice! Would be a great signing. Who knows?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Well, he has left West Ham so is a free agent and has said this:

"At this stage of my career money isn't important to me, I just want to enjoy my football, I want to compete and I want to play more.
“I also want to move back into a more central position, go to the club where I have a good connection with the manager and I'd also like to help the younger players in the squad with my experience, if I can.”

If he's cheap he could still do a good job in the Championship, especially as the creative player at the front of the midfield trio (if the next manager sticks with a similar formation). Would be quite good to get him working with Solly March too

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
If he is really ready to take a modest wage, I think he'd be a very good signing - would be a good example for the younger players just like Upson and Bridge have been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports