Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jiri Skalak, 23yo Czech attacker, confirmed signing.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
We've lost just four games, and apart from Boro, by just one goal. Those single goals were all defensive errors, but in each of those four defeats, we didn't score a single goal. Had we managed to score, three of those defeats could have been draws.
When we score a goal, we don't lose.
What about our worst game of the season by far? (Rotherham 2-0 defeat) our back line was shocking that game, but happy everything's sorted out for now

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Only seen him on TV a couple of times. He looks strong. Was voted best player of the pre xmas stage of the season.. Czech colleagues impressed, and surprised he has gone to a 2nd Divsion team,, despite me explaining to them many times, that the Championship is a a different level to most 2nd Divisions, and showing them pictures of the Amex which is bigger than anything here.
I think Spartas ground only has a capacity of 19000. I think he will shine.
True. The Championship is a different level to any other second division in Europe. Attendances bigger than most European first divisions etc.

I'm excited about this signing. This guy is a full international in a very decent side. Championship football is going to be a different experience for him so let's give him a chance too if he's not brilliant in his first appearance (probably too much to ask on here....).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Only seen him on TV a couple of times. He looks strong. Was voted best player of the pre xmas stage of the season.. Czech colleagues impressed, and surprised he has gone to a 2nd Divsion team,, despite me explaining to them many times, that the Championship is a a different level to most 2nd Divisions, and showing them pictures of the Amex which is bigger than anything here.
I think Spartas ground only has a capacity of 19000. I think he will shine.

I was impressed when i first picked this news up at about 8.30pm yesterday. Then started reading all the "But he's not a proven championship striker like Rhodes" stuff on here yesterday, but wondered whether £9m for him is OTT, and given how long it took Boro to sort it out, who knows what else was involved. Then there was Charlie Austin to saints for £4m, but saints have been tracking him for ages, and if a proven premier league Side were in for him, we would be unlikely to get a look in.

So it is good to read of the Czech reaction. It's not only him. It's what he might spark or contribute for others.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was impressed when i first picked this news up at about 8.30pm yesterday. Then started reading all the "But he's not a proven championship striker like Rhodes" stuff on here yesterday, but wondered whether £9m for him is OTT, and given how long it took Boro to sort it out, who knows what else was involved. Then there was Charlie Austin to saints for £4m, but saints have been tracking him for ages, and if a proven premier league Side were in for him, we would be unlikely to get a look in.

So it is good to read of the Czech reaction. It's not only him. It's what he might spark or contribute for others.

If I was to take a pure guess then I would say Rhodes has taken Boro to the cleaners wages wise. They don't care about FFP so they really need to go up this season or they're the next bust club. People have no idea what breaking our wages structure could do for future demands or current team morale. Getting a player like that in isn't a no brainer whatever people think, you have to consider the health of the club as an overall entity.

Talking of bust the reason Austin was only £4 mill is because that's what he is, a broken player lucky to "pass" a medical. And QPR would never have sold him to a Championship rival even if he'd wanted to go.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If I was to take a pure guess then I would say Rhodes has taken Boro to the cleaners wages wise. They don't care about FFP so they really need to go up this season or they're the next bust club. People have no idea what breaking our wages structure could do for future demands or current team morale. Getting a player like that in isn't a no brainer whatever people think, you have to consider the health of the club as an overall entity.

Talking of bust the reason Austin was only £4 mill is because that's what he is, a broken player lucky to "pass" a medical. And QPR would never have sold him to a Championship rival even if he'd wanted to go.

I was given a stern telling off by a couple of Boro fans on twitter yesterday for suggesting that they were flouting FFP rules. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] got involved at one point!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Well also Austin will be on MASSIVE wages so £4m for the fee is just the start of it. Completely unaffordable to any championship club that doesn't have parachute payments or cares about FFP.

Not sure why some people don't get this about transfer fees.

If the fee is £4m but the player is on £5m a year (£100k a week)/ 4 year contract then the cost to the club in the P&L account is £6m a year for 4 years.

On one player.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Well also Austin will be on MASSIVE wages so £4m for the fee is just the start of it. Completely unaffordable to any championship club that doesn't have parachute payments or cares about FFP.

If the fee is £4m but the player is on £5m a year (£100k a week)/ 4 year contract then the cost to the club in the P&L account is £6m a year for 4 years.

On one player.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] suggested that Rhodes would be costing Boro roughly £3m per year

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Spot on. Getting someone like Rhodes in on obscene wages may well have changed the team dynamic completely in a massively negative way. It is the team spirit that has been our best asset so far this season. I have no idea about the setup at Blackburn, but having this 9m striker on massive wages at their club for several seasons has not done them much good. Many people seem to forget that this is actually a team game and one player is not going to guarantee you anything.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I bet when Blackburn shelled out £8M for Rhodes, they did so in the belief that he was going to fire them straight back to the Prem, but here they are, 3 1/2 years later, closer to relegation than promotion, as the table stands.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was given a stern telling off by a couple of Boro fans on twitter yesterday for suggesting that they were flouting FFP rules. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] got involved at one point!
Ah, the classic Bournemouth defence - "We're not breaking FFP, you are deluded to think we are " :lolol:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

On one player.

I know for a fact that Austin's contract is worth £20 million over 4 and a half years.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
I'd love for them and Derby to miss out on promotion. The owners would be tearing their hair out for what will follow.
Derby are royally f*cked psychologically [emoji38]ol: but I'm not sure about Boro, Steve Gibson seems like a crossover between Bloom and Chansiri (Sheff Wed [emoji38]ol: owner)

Jan 4, 2016
Derby are royally f*cked psychologically [emoji38]ol: but I'm not sure about Boro, Steve Gibson seems like a crossover between Bloom and Chansiri (Sheff Wed [emoji38]ol: owner)

Forget about Gibson golf course as all Golf courses make a lose. Gibson is going all in as he really believes they'll be promoted as they are top and beat us even though we had 7 first teamers out.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] suggested that Rhodes would be costing Boro roughly £3m per year

Not quite. I said that the cost to the profit and loss account THIS accounting year would be £3 million, but that is only from Feb-June. It will be roughly £6 million a year in a full twelve month period in terms of wages, NI and transfer fee amortisation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here