Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Jimmy Savile A British Horror Story (Netflix)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can't decide whether to watch this tonight 🤔 Intrigued as to how well Coogan can capture his likeness (no pun intended)* but also, the subject was such an utter **** maybe it's a disservice to remember the bloke at all.

*plus it is ITV produced but on the BBC so intrigued as to how the BBC is portrayed.
I watched it earlier on iPlayer.

Coogan does a very good job. I rated it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I thought Coogan played him brilliantly.

He actually made him quite frightening and nasty. Which he obviously was.

This is important, because Saville made it his life mission for that side of him not to be widely publicised. Coogan is doing the opposite and with the approval of some of Saville‘s victims who appear on the programme.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I watched the whole thing. Struggled with it a bit, because his portrayal was consistently evil and dark throughout (the real face of course) it did little to explain why he was embraced by the general public.

But I guess that was the point and you can't really portray Saville's "warm" side can you ?

Also struggled a bit with the dramatisation, surprised they left out the Louis Theroux original interview and focussed on Celebrity Big Brother as some form of catalyst.

The bit about his mother not wanting him was a bit odd and possibly invented for the drama. There was something clearly odd in his childhood, his brother was accused of similar crimes but they didn't allude to anything at all.

Coogan quite brilliant though.

The journalist who interviews him throughout, released a book after his death. Quite a bit of artistic licence there too, because from memory he never got as deep into his mind as the drama suggested. On their last interview they had argument over Gary Glitter (Savile blamed the press) and that was it.

My main problem I guess is that the inference that a "reckoning" was about to happen. It took a full year ( didn't it ? ) for the truth to come out after his death.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A great first episode, I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. It is actually quite chilling seeing Coogan portray the hitherto unsee dark side of Savile that we know he had, also the man's vanity comes through, as does his shallowness. We could be looking at a BAFTA here.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A great first episode, I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. It is actually quite chilling seeing Coogan portray the hitherto unsee dark side of Savile that we know he had, also the man's vanity comes through, as does his shallowness. We could be looking at a BAFTA here.

All 4 eps available on Iplayer.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I watched the whole thing. Struggled with it a bit, because his portrayal was consistently evil and dark throughout (the real face of course) it did little to explain why he was embraced by the general public.

But I guess that was the point and you can't really portray Saville's "warm" side can you ?

Also struggled a bit with the dramatisation, surprised they left out the Louis Theroux original interview and focussed on Celebrity Big Brother as some form of catalyst.

The bit about his mother not wanting him was a bit odd and possibly invented for the drama. There was something clearly odd in his childhood, his brother was accused of similar crimes but they didn't allude to anything at all.

Coogan quite brilliant though.

The journalist who interviews him throughout, released a book after his death. Quite a bit of artistic licence there too, because from memory he never got as deep into his mind as the drama suggested. On their last interview they had argument over Gary Glitter (Savile blamed the press) and that was it.

My main problem I guess is that the inference that a "reckoning" was about to happen. It took a full year ( didn't it ? ) for the truth to come out after his death.
I thought that the inference regarding 'The Reckoning' related to his Catholic faith and his hope that by doing more 'good deeds' than bad whilst he was alive he'd be in credit when he got to his reckoning and go 'up above' rather than 'down below'?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I thought that the inference regarding 'The Reckoning' related to his Catholic faith and his hope that by doing more 'good deeds' than bad whilst he was alive he'd be in credit when he got to his reckoning and go 'up above' rather than 'down below'?

That's a theory but there was also inference that the authorities would eventually catch up with him, which of course they didn't.

The only thing we do know ( we found out later ) is that the Sun were sort of on to him and had to pay him damages of £25,000. It's those sort of details that were missing.

This is a fascinating article:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Watched all 4, brilliantly acted the part. Unbelievable how JS got away with it. Felt for his victims never being believed too. 😞

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here