Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Jimmy Savile A British Horror Story (Netflix)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The bit that stuck out for me was that he crossed his fingers in death, which means seeking God’s protection.
The arrogance of the man to even think he has a shout at getting into heaven.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I can only assume a part of his ability to avoid being outed was that he must have dirt on very powerful people. Probably why he cosied up to so many high profile figures. Combined with him being active in age where children were seen and not heard and. It taken seriously.

I was in what would be called a SEN school now when I was younger, separate from mainstream, as was the way it was done in the early 80’s. It was a classroom where they threw anyone with anything “wrong with them”, from learning difficulties to a lad with a cleft palette. All lumped in together as “problem kids”.

We got taken to see a high profile children’s entertainer do a show and a meet n greet. I won’t name names but he mucked about with puppets.
Me and my friend said we weren’t comfortable around him for various reasons and my friend went to a teacher, crying. He was made to apologise to the entertainer for being rude.
Such was the way.

That a hell of a stretch and completely unfounded. You can’t say that simply because they were a kids entertainer. All this nudge nudge is why primary schools, scout groups etc have no male staff anymore. Far to easy to imply without grounds and wreck peoples lives.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I doubt it. Think you’re rewriting history. Perhaps by end of 80s, but how were 250,000 kids p.a. and their parents supposed to know with certainty and no national newspaper articles about? I’m not buying the hysteria now about a great establishment cover up either. Gross naivety and fear of Saville’s power, yes. You only need to watch the doc to see how adored, almost worshiped he was by public press and celebrities. As many others said, he groomed an entire nation and the only person to really blame if that’s your focus is the vile man himself.

I can only relate my personal experience ... He had some appearance at King's club (I think) in Eastbourne in the late 70s and was found in a clinch with a young girl in his dressing room. It got reported and was ignored. I wanted to go star gazing with Patrick Moore ... My dad bought me a telescope to shut me up and we never had Jim'll **** it on the tele.

However, if you have better memories of my childhood than I do so be it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That a hell of a stretch and completely unfounded. You can’t say that simply because they were a kids entertainer. All this nudge nudge is why primary schools, scout groups etc have no male staff anymore. Far to easy to imply without grounds and wreck peoples lives.

I can say what I bloody well like about personal experience, thank you. I’ve made no accusations and named no names. If the mods want to remove it that’s up to them but it’s not your place to tell me what I can post about my life.

Interesting that you say how Savile groomed a nation and how spot on it is when someone was describing how he got away with it.

Two people have described their experiences on their thread and you’ve dismissed both out of hand…. and that’s how people like Savile get away with it.

Next time, I suggest you don’t comment but instead report it to the mods.

Please do report it if you feel I am wrecking someone’s life :lolol:

Last edited:

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
Completely irrelevant as neither of them welcomed him, repeatedly, into Downing Street, or considered him a close friend and confidante.

It is utterly incredible that he got away with it for so long. Everybody I knew couldn't stand him, and knew he was a wrong 'un.

This country...

Well Denis Healey for one welcomed the chance to appear on the "Jim'll Fix It" show, some time before 1980. Perhaps he thought it would get him some votes...

I found a pic of him in a BBC book published in 1980 on the wonderful JS, some passages make you almost vomit. Particularly about his work at hospitals...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Tommy Boyd used to hint about him being "different to his TV persona" a lot, going right back to LBC and all through the Talk Radio/TalkSport years.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Prosecutions Dropped

I know from senior police connections in my family that prosecutions were prepared against him more than once, and were instructed to be dropped "from very high up". So, enough people knew what he was up to, but he clearly had connections. Very disturbing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I know from senior police connections in my family that prosecutions were prepared against him more than once, and were instructed to be dropped "from very high up". So, enough people knew what he was up to, but he clearly had connections. Very disturbing.

mate ....they were all at it , and some of them still are , it's one set of rules for them and another set for us.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I can say what I bloody well like about personal experience, thank you. I’ve made no accusations and named no names. If the mods want to remove it that’s up to them but it’s not your place to tell me what I can post about my life.

Interesting that you say how Savile groomed a nation and how spot on it is when someone was describing how he got away with it.

Two people have described their experiences on their thread and you’ve dismissed both out of hand…. and that’s how people like Savile get away with it.

Next time, I suggest you don’t comment but instead report it to the mods.

Please do report it if you feel I am wrecking someone’s life :lolol:

All saying is you can’t imply someone’s a kiddy fiddler because you felt uncomfortable around them as a child for an hour or two. Are you saying something darker? That you should report a historical crime to the Police? I’d encourage you to if so. But it’s hard to know what you’re saying because it’s all implied or alluded. And you’ve not revealed your basis to do so. That’s unfair because people are innocent until proved guilty. Many many many more people are unfairly called, rumoured to be this or that without any basis other than conjecture which has devastated lives. Numerous teachers etc. The only connection though is horrible kids passing on rumours as facts that were nothing of the sort. Is this perhaps your situation too? Or did you witness or experience something far more serious as a small child that you need to discuss with someone in authority because I’d encourage you to if so.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All saying is you can’t imply someone’s a kiddy fiddler because you felt uncomfortable around them as a child for an hour or two. Are you saying something darker? That you should report a historical crime to the Police? I’d encourage you to if so. But it’s hard to know what you’re saying because it’s all implied or alluded. And you’ve not revealed your basis to do so. That’s unfair because people are innocent until proved guilty. Many many many more people are unfairly called, rumoured to be this or that without any basis other than conjecture which has devastated lives. Numerous teachers etc. The only connection though is horrible kids passing on rumours as facts that were nothing of the sort. Is this perhaps your situation too? Or did you witness or experience something far more serious as a small child that you need to discuss with someone in authority because I’d encourage you to if so.

I have dealt with it as I saw fit. I haven’t named or accused anybody.

You have missed the point completely. Which is that we took our concerns to a teacher and instead of being listened to, we were told to apologise for “making a scene”. Compounded I suspect, as we were the “troublesome” kids from the “segregated class” as it was known.

I’ve not named anyone because the point of my post wasn’t to name anyone. It was to highlight the attitude authorities had during that time period and how easy it must have been for Savile to get away with it.

Anyway, we just won against the Arse and I’m heading to the boozer. Have a great night.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have dealt with it as I saw fit. I haven’t named or accused anybody so with respect, your post is rather meaningless.

You have missed the point completely. Which is that we took our concerns to a teacher and instead of being listened to, we were told to apologise for “making a scene”.

I’ve not named anyone because they point of my post wasn’t to name anyone. It was to highlight the attitude authorities had during that time period and how easy it must have been for Savile to get away with it.

As is your prerogative but I guess your posts could be meaningful if mine is meaningless. You’ll appreciate, knowing couple of really good teachers who’ve had their careers blighted by accusations that I take issue with those all too common guilty until proved innocent scenarios. There are millions of really good people, pro’s and volunteers up and down the country, doing amazing things for kids and yet they’re just a hairs breath away from being called this or rumoured to be that due to malicious behaviour. That’s called a witch hunt and in the old days it got people killed, and even today it can still wreck innocent peoples lives. I still remember a paediatricians office in Hampshire being attacked by a brainless mob who simply couldn’t read or spell.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have dealt with it as I saw fit. I haven’t named or accused anybody.

You have missed the point completely. Which is that we took our concerns to a teacher and instead of being listened to, we were told to apologise for “making a scene”. Compounded I suspect, as we were the “troublesome” kids from the “segregated class” as it was known.

I’ve not named anyone because the point of my post wasn’t to name anyone. It was to highlight the attitude authorities had during that time period and how easy it must have been for Savile to get away with it.

Anyway, we just won against the Arse and I’m heading to the boozer. Have a great night.

Yep you too! :cheers:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As is your prerogative but I guess your posts could be meaningful if mine is meaningless. You’ll appreciate, knowing couple of really good teachers who’ve had their careers blighted by accusations that I take issue with those all too common guilty until proved innocent scenarios. There are millions of really good people, pro’s and volunteers up and down the country, doing amazing things for kids and yet they’re just a hairs breath away from being called this or rumoured to be that due to malicious behaviour. That’s called a witch hunt and in the old days it got people killed, and even today it can still wreck innocent peoples lives. I still remember a paediatricians office in Hampshire being attacked by a brainless mob who simply couldn’t read or spell.

As I say, I have not accused anyone of taken anything any further. My point was the way it was dealt with.

But yes, I see your point however it doesn’t really apply to this situation.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Currently watching this shitshow.
The British public seem to have stupid written into our DNA.
"There was never enough evidence" the bloke basically admitted it on multiple occasions whilst you all laughed along!

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Savile didn’t fool everybody.
He just had a wide range of friends in high places who protected him.
It’s a shame this documentary didn’t have more to expose about this, as it’s as much a scandal as Savile’s crimes and probably ongoing.
Instead it was well-crafted but had nothing new to say.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013

Good point. A while back a magazine called "PIE" was published for a while in Eastbourne, it was a scandal mag , the PIE stood for "People In Eastbourne".
A confessing letter appeared in one edition from a woman who had in her youth attended a school in Eastbourne, one of the more expensive ones. She confessed that she and friends in their youth, had picked out numbers from the telephone directory at random, and had dialled the numbers. If a woman answered, they would pretend to be their husband's secret girlfriend. God know what problems they would have caused in the name of "kicks"...

"PIE" ruffled too mauy feathers, and was effectively closed down when the "Eastbourne Herald" launched a spoiler supplement, which disappeared when "PIE" folded.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
Savile didn’t fool everybody.
He just had a wide range of friends in high places who protected him.
It’s a shame this documentary didn’t have more to expose about this, as it’s as much a scandal as Savile’s crimes and probably ongoing.
Instead it was well-crafted but had nothing new to say.

The Sun had new revelations last week, somhow they got access to letters written from Prince Charles in the 1980's onwards to JS. At the same time they claimed the paper had flagged a warning about him, in that they had published an interview where JS stated that he had committed crimes which if revealed would result in a lengthy prison sentence.

However the paper declined to mention how much they and the "News of the World" had paid JS over all the years he was carrying out his reign of terror.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Good point. A while back a magazine called "PIE" was published for a while in Eastbourne, it was a scandal mag , the PIE stood for "People In Eastbourne".
A confessing letter appeared in one edition from a woman who had in her youth attended a school in Eastbourne, one of the more expensive ones. She confessed that she and friends in their youth, had picked out numbers from the telephone directory at random, and had dialled the numbers. If a woman answered, they would pretend to be their husband's secret girlfriend. God know what problems they would have caused in the name of "kicks"...

"PIE" ruffled too mauy feathers, and was effectively closed down when the "Eastbourne Herald" launched a spoiler supplement, which disappeared when "PIE" folded.

There was a much more sinister PIE a while back
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paedophile_Information_Exchange

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here