Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jimmy Greaves RIP

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With total respect for Jimmy in this thread at this time, it got me thinking about the alltime England best 11.

Initial thoughts, it would certainly contain:

Greaves
Gazza
Moore
Banks
Charlton
Ashley Cole

Gazza was interviewed on ITV's Good Morning Britain. He's currently beating the booze and it showed, he looked and sounded 100x times better. Love the player, a genius.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
RIP Jim - you'll remain a legend

Attachments

• Listener.jpg
    Listener.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Reading the articles in today's papers it's important to remember goalscoring record came in a time when the pitches were generally awful, they wore big heavy kits, and played with a totally different type of ball.
They travelled by coach or train all over the country, before the days of motorways, air conditioning, headphones, proper diets, sports science and the pampered lives today's players enjoy.

Absolutely incredible player.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With total respect for Jimmy in this thread at this time, it got me thinking about the alltime England best 11.

Initial thoughts, it would certainly contain:

Greaves
Gazza
Moore
Banks
Charlton
Ashley Cole

Gazza was interviewed on ITV's Good Morning Britain. He's currently beating the booze and it showed, he looked and sounded 100x times better. Love the player, a genius.

Well, for a start Terry Cooper would be in ahead of Ashley Cole .........

.................. but maybe this is the wrong place to start a debate. Apologies.

RIP Mr. Greaves.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I know I'm a few days late but this popped up in my youtube feed. I was too young to know him as a player, I only knew him through Saint and Greavsie. Loved the show, an integral part of my footballing Saturdays as a kid. And this is from Italia 90. THE World Cup for the 10 year old me.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
My biggest memory of him as a kid is watching on MOTD, that goal on his debut for West Ham at Man City. On a classic mudheap pitch, he returned a Joe Corrigan goal kick from near the halfway line on the full volley straight into the back of the net. With Corrigan standing there bemused with a wtf look on his face. Such quick thinking and genius from Greaves.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
People like Best,Maradona, etc best entertainers but without doubt Greaves best ever goalscorer

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well, for a start Terry Cooper would be in ahead of Ashley Cole .........

.................. but maybe this is the wrong place to start a debate. Apologies.

RIP Mr. Greaves.

Yes agreed, l could argue about a few of those choices too, including even the man at the top of the list, but as you rightly say, this isn't the time or the place.

R.I.P. Greavsey.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I'm another one too young to remember him as a player but grew up watching him on TV. It was hard to imagine the man in the comfy sweaters banging in goals. When I see old pictures of him I'm always amazed at how athletic he looked, proper unit. Again, no comfy sweaters.
H52LWGkeTha6kJczj5Yhs8.jpg

The other thing I remember him for is the World Cup story. Again, too young to have watched it but read about it as a young football fan, and remember thinking how devastating that must have been.
This popped up on the brilliant BBC archive, perhaps it's already been posted. RIP Jimmy.
[tweet]1439882630548410371[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
THE greatest. As has been mentioned he had a ready wit. During his playing career a referee made a dreadful decision. Jimmy walked up to him and said "Hey ref, if I called you a useless **** would you send me off?"
"Of course" replied the ref. "Foul and abusive language."
"What if I just thought it?" asked Jimmy,
"Well you can think whatever you like" said the ref"
Ok," said Jimmy, "In that case I think you're a useless ****!"

RIP The Greatest.

I thought that was Roy Keane (and that he was sent off).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I thought that was Roy Keane (and that he was sent off).

It might be one of those situations where the same story is told down the generations and the names get changed. Might not even have been Greaves initially.

Funnily enough I was talking to my brother last night and he said "Do you remember that time we were talking to Freddie Trueman at Arundel and he told us that story about Jimmy Greaves 'thinking' about swearing? As it happens I DO remember talking to Freddie (it was one of the best afternoons of my life), but I don't remember him telling us that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here