PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
RIP Jimmy Greaves. My family loved you for your football skills and your humour when working on with Saint. I hope we have a minutes silence or applause today as respect for the legend.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Another Albion fan who was a Spurs fan in their glory hunting youth? I recognise every player fondly on that Spurs team sheet

Exactly. A bit of both in the mid-60s. The glory was from the double winning team with some good replacements including MULLERY, Venables Mike England and Gilzean plus some less good ones. In true glory hunter fashion, must have departed for the Goldstone for good around 1967 when that great team was great no more.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Definitely among the greatest of all time and my personal favourite from my childhood. Later became a star in media too for his character but it was his goal scoring brilliance that makes him a legend - a genuine legend of the football world. He was a class finisher of the highest order.
RIP the great Jimmy Greaves

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Incredible numbers.

29F57CF1-6704-44A8-B36E-A74E15072696.png

In an era where British and continental defenders had carte blanche to eliminate forwards with a rake to the achilles in the first ‘tackle’.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
A legend in life not just in football, because he proved there is a way back.

Reading his book, he was a hopeless alcoholic, his marriage had gone and he was skint.

With the support of AA, his then ex wife who he later remarried, his children, close friends and also Gary Newbon at Central Television, he picked himself up, was clean and sober for over 40 years and became a national treasure as well as a footballing legend and a role model to many people at rock bottom. I hope they make a movie one day.

Again a clear flaw in the honours system, Sir Phillip Green, basically a crook, but two legends in Bobby Moore and Greavsie yet no knighthoods?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Forget your Charlton, Lineker, Rooney, Kane et al, RIP to the greatest striker England has ever produced.
Better than all of them.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Usually don't reply to these RIP threads but he was such a star and made a big impact on me as a kid. As others have said probably England's best striker ever but also a great character. RIP Jimmy, thanks for all those great moments.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very sad news. RIP Greavsie. I have fond memories of watching him at Barnet, he still had it albeit at a slower pace. A true striking great who was able to win his way into the nation's hearts with a very fun broadcasting career.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A true footballing legend. He played in the 62 World Cup, and in the group stages of the 66 World Cup but was injured. He was quite bitter about not playing in the final as he was fit again, but Hurst was his replacement, so the rest is history. He finally got a medal in 2009 when FIFA were persuaded that those who had played in the tournament should qualify.

A clever and amusing pundit too.
Condolences to his family and friends.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
When I was a kid playing football in the playground everyone wanted to be Jimmy Greaves. He was quite rightly held in such high esteem. A wonderful career, bettered by none. His goal scoring for his clubs and England was off the scale. He had his demons but made a lot of people very happy. His legacy will live forever (sod the Premier League who think all stats start with them).
Enjoyed an evening at the Worthing Assembly rooms some years ago and got his book signed. He made time for everyone.
RIP Jimmy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports