Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jimmy Carr

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Don’t have a massive opinion on Jimmy Carr but are you really telling me anyone hears a joke and feels genuinely upset or offended? It’s faux offence for attention, cancel culture.

The definition of a joke is something not to be taken seriously that is said in jest to make people laugh (or try to)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not with a joke like that though.

I'm fully aware of his material and how edgy he is. He has a place.

However, I cringed when he tells jokes about the disabled without any irony or context. They don't offend me, but you know they will get repeated to abuse people.

I use to feel the same about Little Britain, when I heard some teenagers making jokes about a man in a wheelchair.

It’s one gag, the coverage, hyperbole and endless dissection over such instances is so tiresome these days. By your admission, the fact you laughed at something else in the past that’s now being cancelled means you should also in many peoples current thinking. In the past, people laughed or didn’t and moved on with their lives immediately.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Don’t have a massive opinion on Jimmy Carr but are you really telling me anyone hears a joke and feels genuinely upset or offended? It’s faux offence for attention, cancel culture.

The definition of a joke is something not to be taken seriously that is said in jest to make people laugh (or try to)

It is interesting that we live in a world where we’re supposed to get offended by what’s said at comedy shows and laugh at Prime Minister’s Questions.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This.

His ‘craft’ has always been boring, a half wit.

Of his generation, imho Rhod Gilbert and Rob Brydon are streets ahead. Just naturally funny, they barely need to speak to get you laughing.

So middle of the road though. I like both but there’s only so many Michael Caine impersonations you can listen to before yawning.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
his jokes are deliberatly provactive and controversial. you can read them on different levels, laugh because you find them funny, laugh ironically that they are in bad taste, or get upset about them.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
his jokes are deliberatly provactive and controversial. you can read them on different levels, laugh because you find them funny, laugh ironically that they are in bad taste, or get upset about them.

Agreed

Or watch some decent comedy instead.

Like Mrs Browns Boys :facepalm: :lolol:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Indeed and in addition to that comedy is a very subjective thing, I never rated Lee Evans, yet many loved him.

I just fail to see how you can be offended about things you hear at a comedy show, particularly a Jimmy Carr show, comedy is much like music, there are many niches and genres, if you don’t like it don’t watch it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I reckon he would tell that joke if he was playing Appleby Fair, he wouldn't come straight out with it, but he would work it in.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Indeed and in addition to that comedy is a very subjective thing, I never rated Lee Evans, yet many loved him.

I just fail to see how you can be offended about things you hear at a comedy show, particularly a Jimmy Carr show, comedy is much like music, there are many niches and genres, if you don’t like it don’t watch it.

Precisely. Stephen Nolan going into solemn overkill about in radio 5 now. Switched it off. Stephen Nolan is paid to be earnest about everything and everyone. Ironically Jimmy Carr is the perfect antidote to such fun sponges.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What are you talking about ?

Because you laughed at something in the past you wouldn’t now, some people would hang you out to dry for that now and never forgive but try to get you cancelled. You know, like middle aged men getting cancelled for something they wrote online in the mid noughties as a child.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Because you laughed at something in the past you wouldn’t now, some people would hang you out to dry for that now and never forgive but try to get you cancelled. You know, like middle aged men getting cancelled for something they wrote online in the mid noughties as a child.

Laughed at what ?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I understand what Carrs apparent justification of telling ‘ jokes’ like this one is. He would argue, far from being personally racist, he is pointing a spotlight on the hypocrisy of people in general. I think he is very wrong.
A certain percentage of his audience won’t understand his aims. They’ll have a good old belly laugh at the Gypos, they will go away and repeat the ‘joke’ to their mates, who will repeat it, and eventually, things like this become socially acceptable.

Bang on. Doug Stanhope, another 'shock' comedian has gone so far that on his last tour the audience was full of right wing incels who thought he was one of theirs. It took Stanhope till mid gig to realise what had happened and then he turned on his audience. Bit late.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I do not like Jimmy Carr, used to think he was ok but now just a vile pr*ck for the sake of it. The " joke " he made, let's see him in a romany community or even in front of Tyson Fury. He has 2% of the talent of someone like Ricky Gervais who makes similar cutting and brutal comments without being a nasty little racist. Gervais makes very sound observations without being being a tool but all his observations are sound for me. Carr has made a decent living from virtually no talent in any regard as far as I can see. So fair play to him for that

Last edited:

After he explains the reason behind the joke. If you watch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does he justify it then, for those without Netflix. Actually has it been removed, so not sure anyone can watch it?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
So called Comedian's like this streak of piss are two a penny, he's just one of a long line of people that have made a good living saying stuff out loud other people are too scared to say because they'd either get lamped or worse one of those Icy looks.

Real comics didn't ever have to swear or poke fun at societies minorities or disabled they were just funny.

This bloke isn't fit to clean Tommy Coopers Fez.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here