Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jimmy Carr

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For all those decrying the end of comedy if certain jokes can't be made, or certain peoples targeted, check out this twitter feed: https://twitter.com/ClassicShowbiz showing the same 'you can't make jokes about anything these days' complaints going back decades. There was one report from the 1800s, after a comedian was forced to apologise for a religious joke. And yet comedy survives.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
For all those decrying the end of comedy if certain jokes can't be made, or certain peoples targeted, check out this twitter feed: https://twitter.com/ClassicShowbiz showing the same 'you can't make jokes about anything these days' complaints going back decades. There was one report from the 1800s, after a comedian was forced to apologise for a religious joke. And yet comedy survives.

IMO people who say "wokeism" is killing comedy don't watch/listen too much comedy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Yes, because in 1800s the Internet existed enabling millions of people to savage any particular comedian globally worldwide and end their careers…I think it’s a bit different now!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
IMO people who say "wokeism" is killing comedy don't watch/listen too much comedy.

Comedians from Rowan Atkinson to Maureen Lipman have longed said they now fear making jokes. It’s not necessarily about what’s still being said, but what isn’t. Which you’ve no way of knowing.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
But they are just actors and can be replaced, as with most remakes. The question is whether a program that ridicules racist bigotry (but which was enjoyed by many racist bigots because they didn't understand the ridicule) would be allowed to be made today.

But the actors can't just be replaced as most remakes have shown.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Comedians from Rowan Atkinson to Maureen Lipman have longed said they now fear making jokes. It’s not necessarily about what’s still being said, but what isn’t. Which you’ve no way of knowing.

So some people ( I think comedian would an odd description, not sure when Lipman last toured) have got older and changed their behaviour. Meanwhile comedians who have been "cancelled" due to "woke" like Carr, Chappelle, etc seem to be doing ok

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Clearly a balance to be found though isn't there.

The basic premise is that speech is free and a comedian can make whatever joke he wants, but both concepts have boundaries. Anything which joking about a particular race or set of people being exterminated in a positive way is clearly over the boundary.

Comedians have nothing at all to fear. Just don't incite racial hatred

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
But surely if you watch or listen to a broad range of comedy you'll discover that with the exception of being openly racist/ homophobic etc anything still goes. These people are intelligent enough to make sensible judgements and to understand what is acceptable or not. If they really fear making a joke, then maybe that joke just isn't funny.
For example you only have to watch one episode of Family Guy, aired on a mainstream TV channel, to see close to the bone jokes being made fearlessly.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But surely if you watch or listen to a broad range of comedy you'll discover that with the exception of being openly racist/ homophobic etc anything still goes. These people are intelligent enough to make sensible judgements and to understand what is acceptable or not. If they really fear making a joke, then maybe that joke just isn't funny.
For example you only have to watch one episode of Family Guy, aired on a mainstream TV channel, to see close to the bone jokes being made fearlessly.

Hard to tell if current. Family Guy going for decades. And as said, this about future. Comedians are concerned and have expressed this.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So some people ( I think comedian would an odd description, not sure when Lipman last toured) have got older and changed their behaviour. Meanwhile comedians who have been "cancelled" due to "woke" like Carr, Chappelle, etc seem to be doing ok

More respect for the Dame! Comedy actress and actress :)

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Hard to tell if current. Family Guy going for decades. And as said, this about future. Comedians are concerned and have expressed this.

How is Maureen Lipman the future of comedy? Anyway I'm pretty sure she'd still just about get away with the BT Adverts and the Joyce Grenfell impersonations

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
Sorry, to add to my previous post but Rowan Atkinson and John Cleese (Who's said similar) aren't exactly currently making people roll in the aisles and Maureen Lipman is currently a soap actress.
I'd be more likely to take their opinions seriously if they were practising comedians and not has been's. (All be it once hilarious,groudbreaking has been's)

Any body know any jokes ?

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Sorry, to add to my previous post but Rowan Atkinson and John Cleese (Who's said similar) aren't exactly currently making people roll in the aisles and Maureen Lipman is currently a soap actress.
I'd be more likely to take their opinions seriously if they were practising comedians and not has been's. (All be it once hilarious,groudbreaking has been's)

Any body know any jokes ?
I know a few but as I'm not a comedian I assume Maureen Lipman wouldn't want me to pretend to be one.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The likes of Mo Gilligan who hosted the Brits last night are the future. No intent to upset any of the stars just some gentle ribbing and an absolutely hilarious Liam Gallagher impression. :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Blimey, someone actually watched it.

It's nothing more than an act of self gratification for the sole purpose of advertising themselves to the uninitiated masses.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Is it all about context?

Pre Covid my daughter took me to a 'Drag Queen Sunday' gig at Legends on the Seafront, about 25 mins into the 50 min set the featured female impersonator told a joke about Madeline McCann, the place erupted in laughter, personally despite enjoying traditional 'old school comedy' of yesteryear, I found it deeply offensive and not funny, but no one in the LGBTQ camp that day batted an eyelid.

But I later imagined the furore if Carr, or Joel Dommett or even Jim Davidson had told the same joke at the Brighton Centre or the Worthing Pier Pavilion?

The Gypsy joke was in poor taste, but no worse than what most people get sent via Whatsapp every day of the week, but is this more about the person telling it than the actual humour?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Comedians from Rowan Atkinson to Maureen Lipman have longed said they now fear making jokes.

Oh no, we might have to listen to fresh comedy talent rather than some old-timers.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Is it all about context?

Pre Covid my daughter took me to a 'Drag Queen Sunday' gig at Legends on the Seafront, about 25 mins into the 50 min set the featured female impersonator told a joke about Madeline McCann, the place erupted in laughter, personally despite enjoying traditional 'old school comedy' of yesteryear, I found it deeply offensive and not funny, but no one in the LGBTQ camp that day batted an eyelid.

But I later imagined the furore if Carr, or Joel Dommett or even Jim Davidson had told the same joke at the Brighton Centre or the Worthing Pier Pavilion?

The Gypsy joke was in poor taste, but no worse than what most people get sent via Whatsapp every day of the week, but is this more about the person telling it than the actual humour?

a famous person said , " wokist, cancel culture was bourne out of upper/middle class ****whitts coming out of university and despite having attained their degree, still possessing shit for brains."

John Lydon

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is it all about context?

Don't you just think though that if a comedian has to resort to joking about dead children, or murdering racial groups, then they probably aren't that funny. Surely once a comedian realises they are having to shock to these levels to elicit laughter they themselves must surely know that they are on the slide. Or maybe they just keep telling themselves they are edgy and plot how they dial the shock level up even one stage further.

Most of the comedy greats did it with, mastery of timing, accurate turn of phrase, perception of human nature and cleverly switching expectations. Any talentless, dimwit can make jokes about mass human misery

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here