Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim Gannon - did we have a lucky escape?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Russell Slade seems to be doing a pretty good job at Orient.

did a good job at Yeovil too and not too bad at Grimsby before that if I recall correctly. He has his limitations (don't we all) but he is a good motivator, has an eye for a good player, great rapport with the fans, and tactically, he understands the game and how to get the most out of players within his system. I couldn't really work out why, when we had that awful start to the season, he wasn't able to turn it round but in retrospect I think the limitations of his support staff were a big part of it. Doing a good job for Orient and long may he continue.

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
Micky Adams leaving for Sheffield United rocked the boat massively. Vale were playing a long-ball style of football, just hitting the two big front-men - either Marc Richards (their top scorer who is out injured, or Justin Richards.) During December - before Adams left and Gannon came in, the club's form was the worst in the division. Now Gannon has come in he changing the whole ethos at the club, he's a real modern day manager and one of the few in the lower leagues that holds a Uefa A license. For the players and fans it is a bit of a shock to the system as they were doing so well under Adams, and it is taking a bit of time adjusting to a new style of football (one which I think we can all agree having Gus as our manager, much more pleasing on the eye.) Gannon just needs time for the players to accept and understand the style and tactical approach he is trying to implement.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
You might not believe this but I know a good relation to the key man who helped the Albion decide on not getting Gannon. It was infact Brian Horton who advised Brighton not to go for him. Horton was asked for some advice on Gannon which he replied telling the Albion basically he is a moody bastard and quoted Poyet as a better choice.

But wasnt there about 9 months between when we were looking to appoint Gannon to when we appointed Poyet??? With Slade in between

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Micky Adams leaving for Sheffield United rocked the boat massively. Vale were playing a long-ball style of football, just hitting the two big front-men - either Marc Richards (their top scorer who is out injured, or Justin Richards.) During December - before Adams left and Gannon came in, the club's form was the worst in the division. Now Gannon has come in he changing the whole ethos at the club, he's a real modern day manager and one of the few in the lower leagues that holds a Uefa A license. For the players and fans it is a bit of a shock to the system as they were doing so well under Adams, and it is taking a bit of time adjusting to a new style of football (one which I think we can all agree having Gus as our manager, much more pleasing on the eye.) Gannon just needs time for the players to accept and understand the style and tactical approach he is trying to implement.

Right...now explain the Motherwell and Peterborough DEBACLES as well.

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
But in all fairness appointing Gannon at that time would have sent us down. We needed a motivator to get the players working hard and putting in high energy level performances to grind out results. Slade fitted that bill perfectly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You might not believe this but I know a good relation to the key man who helped the Albion decide on not getting Gannon. It was infact Brian Horton who advised Brighton not to go for him. Horton was asked for some advice on Gannon which he replied telling the Albion basically he is a moody bastard and quoted Poyet as a better choice.

the first bit sounds right in a general sort of way - Brian Horton is a good judge and you have to recall that, at the time, Gannon was having a lot of grief** at Stockport centred on his personal (and varied) fingers in the financial pie at a time when the club was going seriously broke. However even Dick Knight if I remember right admitted that Gannon was offered the job and turned it down.

The second bit doesn't quite scan as there was a 9 month gap between Gannon and Gus when Dick's fallback option of Russell Slade produced a football miracle to keep us up.

**"attracting comment" might be a nicer way of putting it - he seemed to have some very interesting perks and involvement in a Harry Redknapp sort of fashion

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
Right...now explain the Motherwell and Peterborough DEBACLES as well.

I don't know what went on at Motherwell, but wasn't he reasonably successful at Peterborough? They wanted to appoint him on a permanent basis at the end of the season he just has such an affiliation with the north, with family commitments etc he wouldn't move south - hence why he turned us down.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
[/B]

But wasnt there about 9 months between when we were looking to appoint Gannon to when we appointed Poyet??? With Slade in between

thats probably why we went for a short term contract (at the time) with Slade rather than offering Gannon a long term deal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I still cant believe Sheff Utd went for Adams.

They are going down, I would think that was his last chance to prove himself at a higher level.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Mickey Adams seemed to lose whatever he had once he got Leicester promoted. Sadly (for an Albion legend) he appears like a total dinosaur now. We really wouldn't want him down here again. :(

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Mickey Adams seemed to lose whatever he had once he got Leicester promoted. Sadly (for an Albion legend) he appears like a total dinosaur now. We really wouldn't want him down here again. :(

Will never forget what he did for us first time round....but that seems to be his level now.....his style will probably get you promoted from league 2 but then he starts to get found out like he did with us second time around and looks like he might now too in the championship. I would guess this is his last chance at that level and if it doesnt go well hes destined to be a lower league manager.....league 2/bottom half of league 1

Agent_Torpor

May 1, 2009
I know he trotted out the "family" bit, but only an ambitionless numpty would have turned Brighton down to essentially stay in Stockport. That's what I thought then, still do.

Thank the maker he turned it down, though. Hallelujah!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I would say yes!

Page last updated at 17:07 GMT, Friday, 25 February 2011
E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Port Vale boss Jim Gannon gets off team coach after row

Gannon took over as Vale manager in January
Port Vale manager Jim Gannon got off the Valiants' team bus heading for Aldershot after an alleged argument with his assistant Geoff Horsfield.

Gannon met his legal representative at a service station in the West Midlands and returned to Vale Park for talks with chairman Bill Bratt.

Horsfield also left the coach further into the journey.

Bratt told BBC Radio Stoke: "It is an internal matter that will be dealt with on Monday."

Vale goalkeeper Stuart Tomlinson said on Twitter: "Awesome events on the team bus."

The former Crewe and Burton man later added: "Someone has left the bus."

Geoff's been a great assistant. He helps with coaching, the warm-ups and the management of players

Jim Gannon, speaking in January
Former Stockport, Motherwell and Peterborough boss Gannon took charge of the Valiants in January after Micky Adams' departure for Sheffield United.

At the time, Vale were fourth in League Two but his reign began with a five-match winless run.

A 1-0 success over Rotherham began a four-game unbeaten streak but that was halted with Tuesday's 3-1 defeat by Stevenage which has left Vale sixth in the table, three points off the automatic promotion places.

Gannon inherited his backroom team, including Horsfield, from Adams, and has appointed Ben Cooper and Andy Mulliner as coaches.

In January, Gannon said that the Valiants were "understaffed" and that "the staff are probably under-qualified for the jobs they've been asked to do".

Of Horsfield, he added: "Geoff's been a great assistant. He helps with coaching, the warm-ups and the management of players.

"He's a good lad but he needs to gain a lot more experience and he'll become a better assistant manager as time goes by."

BBC Sport - Football - Port Vale boss Jim Gannon gets off team coach after row

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here