Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim Gannon - did we have a lucky escape?

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
Back before the Gus bus pulled into Withdean, Jim Gannon was all lined up to be "the special one". He turned us down to stay in Stockport, Russell Slade came in and saved us (for a little while) and the rest is history. I remember being a bit disappointed Gannon didn't join us at the time, but looking at his career since then, it's all gone a bit car crash-tastic.

Motherwell sacked him for causing ructions in the dressing room between the players, at Peterborough he lasted just over 2 months citing family commitments prevented him staying beyond the end of the season, and now it looks like his tenure at Port Vale hasn't started in the best possible way:

Port Vale players unhappy with Jim Gannon

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
To be honest, yes, I think we did. I was hoping being hope we’d get Gannon in at the time. He looked like the perfect candidate. Looking back I’m so glad we went Slade/Poyet. Who knows where we’d be now had we tempted him down here... It’s rare to see your team play so well and with such a talent at the helm so I going to enjoy it while it lasts. It could so easily have been different.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Crikey -reading the comments on there - they're not very happy, are they?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I think we were very lucky not to get Gannon. I was a supporter of bringing him in.

Stockport are bottom are they not? Return for Jimbo you him do you think?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think it emphasises rather how fortunate we were to get Slade. I seriously don't think Gannon would/could have got the players on his side and playing as if their lives depended on it because that is what kept us up and the rest, as they say, is history.............................

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, fans are already calling for him to be sacked - he hasn't been there a month yet. Nothing like giving someone a chance is there?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I think it emphasises rather how fortunate we were to get Slade. I seriously don't think Gannon would/could have got the players on his side and playing as if their lives depended on it because that is what kept us up and the rest, as they say, is history.............................

Yeah I tend to agree. Slade was the right appointment at the right time that kept us up. To progress up the league though we really needed someone else - no disrespect to Slade who I think is a great motivator. We had a double wammy of luck by appointing Slade followed by Poyet. We wouldn't be sitting at the crest of the league if things didn't pan out the way they did.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't like retrospective threads like this. At the time, Gannon looked a very strong candidate for what he had done with Stockport. In hindsight, he still looked a good candidate for what he'd done. What he has done since leaving Stockport has been uninspiring and maybe we were better off for not getting him. I'm more than happy with how the whole saga turned out, I just hope Gannon can resurrect Port Vale's promotion bid. I had them in a multiple bet with the Albion in the summer, to win the league. Under Micky Adams it was looking pretty darn good, but not any more.

Olebut

Nov 4, 2010
Gloucestershire
It doesn't bode well when the players confront the board, I doubt he will survive and I thought that there were better candidates than Gannon beofre Gus was appointed, I had Boothroyd as one of them even dremed that Curbishley could be tempted bu in th end we have the best manager outiside of the premiership .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It doesn't bode well when the players confront the board, I doubt he will survive and I thought that there were better candidates than Gannon beofre Gus was appointed, I had Boothroyd as one of them even dremed that Curbishley could be tempted bu in th end we have the best manager outiside of the premiership .

HOOFROYD? You ARE joking?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think we had a very lucky escape. You'll often see that a managers one and only good record is at teh club they have been at years, and know inside out, without any ability to transfer those skills and start afresh somewhere else.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Russell Slade seems to be doing a pretty good job at Orient.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think we had a very lucky escape. You'll often see that a managers one and only good record is at teh club they have been at years, and know inside out, without any ability to transfer those skills and start afresh somewhere else.

Good point. Take note Gus - stay here forever! x

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Russell Slade seems to be doing a pretty good job at Orient.

Chuffed for him, he got a bit of a raw deal here although I was in favour of getting rid at the time.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Was absolutely gutted when we didn't get Gannon, at the time it felt like we'd missed 'the one.' Who knows how it might have worked out though, so impossible to say whether we had a lucky escape or not.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
You might not believe this but I know a good relation to the key man who helped the Albion decide on not getting Gannon. It was infact Brian Horton who advised Brighton not to go for him. Horton was asked for some advice on Gannon which he replied telling the Albion basically he is a moody bastard and quoted Poyet as a better choice.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Was absolutely gutted when we didn't get Gannon, at the time it felt like we'd missed 'the one.' Who knows how it might have worked out though, so impossible to say whether we had a lucky escape or not.

Looks at his record since. 3 abject failures in 3. Let's be honest, hold our hands up and say we were lucky not to get him. I also was in favour of having him at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here