JFC - Please God make this the last time we have to watch him play in an Albion shirt...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
My issue with March, is that in recent league games, he hasn't been dynamic, he hasn't been running at defenders. He's stopping, putting a foot on the ball and passing sideways. I completely agree with you, the March that runs at defenders, produces clever passes from nothing, leaves the opposing team guessing is exactly what we want. I haven't seen that Solly March much this season, or one that looks like finding the back of the net anytime soon.

I really like him, but he's not been that fleet footed creative youngster we know he can be lately.

I agree entirely. Rather than run at players, he's stopped promising attacks by putting his foot on the ball for a look around. Something about the way he plays seems to lack the confidence he's had in the past. He seems to look slow and is constantly cutting onto his favoured foot which makes him far too predictable. Hopefully a winning team can give him the confidence to get where his potential should take him.

On JFC, just give him a break (not you Bold Seagull). He's a young man trying his best and, I know this is a real challenge for some, is perhaps a confidence player who needs the support of his fans rather than abuse.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My issue with March, is that in recent league games, he hasn't been dynamic, he hasn't been running at defenders. He's stopping, putting a foot on the ball and passing sideways. I completely agree with you, the March that runs at defenders, produces clever passes from nothing, leaves the opposing team guessing is exactly what we want. I haven't seen that Solly March much this season, or one that looks like finding the back of the net anytime soon.

I really like him, but he's not been that fleet footed creative youngster we know he can be lately.

Scored at Fulham
Crossed for the first goal at Brentford
Crossed for the winner at Charlton

I don't think Sollys been too bad of late.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The injuries to Crofts and Stephens, plus Kemy's pie addiction, have given JFC more game time than he was probably expecting. This has not been an easy season for many players - the likes of Baldock, COG, Teixeira are all capable of more than they've shown. I'd like to see what Hughton can get out of him. The next couple of months will be key for his career.

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
Looking at the u21 squad will show you how it's not that impressive that he gets played for them, in the cm positions they have chalobah (who is average and hasn't proved his talent despite loans at several championship clubs), Pritchard who is a Spurs player (better than Forster-caskey and is highly rated), will Hughes who has had several big clubs scouting him and Tom Carroll another highly rated Spurs player on loan at Swansea. I'd say that caskey is closest to chalobsh ability wise but nowhere near the others. If caskey is as good as everyone says then why haven't any prem clubs made an offer for him

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Scored at Fulham
Crossed for the first goal at Brentford
Crossed for the winner at Charlton

I don't think Sollys been too bad of late.

I don't think you've properly got what I was saying about March. I was being specific to the March that attacks and runs at defenders, takes them on etc. I didn't actually say he's been bad, I was commenting that he can be a lot better, especially if he learns to attack defenders agains.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
The comparison between JFC and Ashley Barnes is incorrect and does not work. Barnes was TEN times the player JFC is proving so far to be.

I don't entirely blame JFC though, he's not the right sort of player for the role he had yesterday. With Ince, Holla AND Calde all doing donkey work behind, it completely freed up a place for a FLAIR player - hence one of the major reasons Tex shone in the previous game, he had no defensive responsibilities.

Tex being ill was gutting but then you have to look at a replacement FLAIR player, so Colunga comes in. Or March. Or McCourt. Or bloody Agustein. NOT JFC, who isn't a flair player. Still not sure exactly what sort of player he is meant to be...

And therein lies the rub: despite all the hiss over JFC being played out of position, there's no evidence he really HAS a position. When he fails in a more defensive role, some shout he is an attacking playmaker. When he plays as a creative, get-forward midfielder he fails to score goals or really create much at all. Sad to say it, because I'd love to see him shine in our team, but JFC has time and again proved to be our weak link. It's preposterous for anyone suggest that he's up to the task purely because a) he plays for England under-21s b) managers pick him. Managers have also picked Gary Gardner, Ryan Harley etc. His positional sense is poor and he constantly slows down play. On the times he is rushed into a pass it invariably goes astray, so he tends to revert to short sideways prods which again slow down our momentum. All those supporters who see this wonderful subtext to his game, all those nuances the rest seem to miss, must have a visionary sense I've failed to experience over the course of 57 appearances in an Albion shirt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sentence two of my comparison gave the context for the comparison - it was in terms of the treatment he is getting from fans - nothing to do with what he can or can't do as a footballer

"JFC is the new Ashley Barnes

Everyone is slagging him and when he leaves they'll all realise that we miss him."

I would add to that your list on Barnes - and these were gathered from the fans around me

An inability to finish leading to numerous wasted chances, constantly out of position, a liability and about to be sent off at any moment.

I think it reached its nadir when someone told him in the warm up he shouldn't be on the pitch

So you're still not able to tell me a SINGLE thing JFC contributes on the pitch. Whereas, Barnes contributed a MASSIVE amount, which many fans could see, whilst he was here. Unlike JFC.

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea
So you're still not able to tell me a SINGLE thing JFC contributes on the pitch. Whereas, Barnes contributed a MASSIVE amount, which many fans could see, whilst he was here. Unlike JFC.

I have provided a list of what I think JFC contributes earlier. I have also made it clear the comparison between JFC and Barnes is in relation to the blinkered abuse they got/get. A point your post neatly reinforces.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

He's never been in form to start with...He offers absolutely nothing to the side and he is league 1 at best.He's the poster boy and nothing else.
It's like playing with 10 men when he starts...useless and well out of his depth end of...Only recall him having one great game and that was against southampton.

Before I start, I am not saying that JFC is in the class of Paul Scholes!! However, the role that I think they see for him is one similar to that of Paul Scholes had for much of his career.. a possession game that needs someone who can keep recycling the ball, comfortable at receiving it in tight areas and whenever possible a burst into the opposition area for the odd goal - JFC tries to do all of that as far as I can see. Blindly chasing defenders who have time and space to pass around you a la CMS, may look good to fans "he's a trier" but is not reflective of effort or indeed thinking. I am sure this is what the international U21s see in him, and successive managers. He will get better, given a chance and given the confidence

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have provided a list of what I think JFC contributes earlier. I have also made it clear the comparison between JFC and Barnes is in relation to the blinkered abuse they got/get. A point your post neatly reinforces.

Not really, because I don't feel JFC contributes anything to the team. Whereas it was plain for all to see that Barnes contributed a LOT.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Before I start, I am not saying that JFC is in the class of Paul Scholes!! However, the role that I think they see for him is one similar to that of Paul Scholes had for much of his career.. a possession game that needs someone who can keep recycling the ball, comfortable at receiving it in tight areas and whenever possible a burst into the opposition area for the odd goal - JFC tries to do all of that as far as I can see. Blindly chasing defenders who have time and space to pass around you a la CMS, may look good to fans "he's a trier" but is not reflective of effort or indeed thinking. I am sure this is what the international U21s see in him, and successive managers. He will get better, given a chance and given the confidence

He's easily one of the least comfortable at receiving the ball in tight spaces compared to most of our side.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not really, because I don't feel JFC contributes anything to the team. Whereas it was plain for all to see that Barnes contributed a LOT.
So you just chose to ignore the stats I produced earlier then ...

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

I've never seen a player less comfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces. JFC's reaction is usually just to poke it into no-man's land in the hope one of ours will pick it up. It's also rather pointless having a player who can keep recycling the ball, if it means the ball keeps ending up with the opposition. You are right about one thing: he does get the 'odd' goal. One in every 11 matches, not exactly the yield of a so-called 'attacking midfielder'. Scholes hit around 1 in every four matches by the way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't think you've properly got what I was saying about March. I was being specific to the March that attacks and runs at defenders, takes them on etc. I didn't actually say he's been bad, I was commenting that he can be a lot better, especially if he learns to attack defenders agains.

March has only recently returned from a long injury layoff, so its not all that surprising he's not back to skinning defenders just yet, it may take longer for him to be fully back to his best. He deserves some time and our patience, particularly as he's still making matchwinning contributions of late.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
March has only recently returned from a long injury layoff, so its not all that surprising he's not back to skinning defenders just yet, it may take longer for him to be fully back to his best. He deserves some time and our patience, particularly as he's still making matchwinning contributions of late.

Yes, I know, I was saying that for both Jake and March! :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mellotron, explain to me why - if Barnes so clearly contributed alot (something I agree with) - he still got terrible abuse?

*Football fans in being complete morons shocker*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports