Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC - Please God make this the last time we have to watch him play in an Albion shirt...

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
JFC is the new Ashley Barnes

Everyone is slagging him and when he leaves they'll all realise that we miss him.

He has been playing this season for a shit manager who seemed to prefer his attacking midfielders to play the holding role with no full backs. Consequently he - along with Holla and Gardener - spent a huge amount of time in the wrong place not really sure where they were supposed to be.

JFC is young, clearly has talent, has been chucked in to a difficult situation at a young age, has been picked at every England age group by multiple managers, was a contender for England U21 player of the year (the u21s are quite good).

He made mistakes yesterday and was slow at times moving the ball forward. Ince made mistakes yesterday and according to our manager at times you wondered where he was. Greer has made multiple mistakes over the last few games, been turned regularly and been off the pace of the game. All of them also did good things

But lets all focus on one player.

Get off the boys back

Regency Gull, the criticism that Ashley Barnes received was totally unjustified. Although no Peter Ward, he was a commited and productive member of the team. I have yet to see the talent in JFK to which you refer. I am completely mystified as to why he has been picked for England. Yet, a local lad, who really is talented, called Dean Cox, is playing in the lower reaches of league 1. it makes no sense to me. Perhaps others, such as yourself, can enlighten football ignorami like me as to the errors of our ways.

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea
I think he is played out of position (see numerous other players we currently have - CMS, Baldock). To me he is a traditional AM either working box to box, or behind a front two. We ask him to play either behind the sole front man, and he is not Tex, or in a more defensive midfield position, and he isn't Holla or Ince. He should be playing - in my opinion - the attacking Bridcutt role where he distributed the ball and dictated the direction of attack.

He has a lovely range of passing - he does try too hard at times to play an amazing ball rather than a good ball - he works tremendously hard in the congested middle of the pitch - remember this season we have been completely over run in the middle most matches - he is one of the few who gets his head up for a pass rather than looking square first. He does at times slow play down and as I said this season has at times looked like he wasn't sure where he was supposed to be - but he isn;t the only one to do this.

I am not arguing he is the greatest player ever - he is still very young and won't run a midfield yet - he makes mistakes. I am not saying he will be brilliant. I think he has struggled this season, probably beyond just the issues with SH.

BUT

He is the current player fans like to hate - all his mistakes are noted and highlighted - see Barnes. He is very highly thought of in the game and wouldn't be playing for the U21s with various top flight players if he wasn't. If we sold him the teams looking to buy him would all above us.

Ince did some great stuff yesterday but also made a load of errors and went missing at times - and yet all is forgiven. JFC can't do right for wrong.

Did you see the U21 match where he and Will Hughes - and a Prem midfielder - completely ran the game against decent opposition?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
So let me get this right... Plays regularly for the England U-21s, played regularly for Oscar, Hyypia and Hughton. Yeah, that's right, they're ALL wrong.

If only the Albion would stop wasting time with "experienced football people" and just hired an NSC know-it-all as manager... We'd be in the Prem by now! Jeez...

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
So let me get this right... Plays regularly for the England U-21s, played regularly for Oscar, Hyypia and Hughton. Yeah, that's right, they're ALL wrong.

If only the Albion would stop wasting time with "experienced football people" and just hired an NSC know-it-all as manager... We'd be in the Prem by now! Jeez...

Why do people keep on using this England U-21 argument, it could just show that there is a severe lack of English footballing talent. He is only playing for Hughton due to lack of fitness of other midfielders and when he doesnt play we look like a better midfield unit.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The comparison between JFC and Ashley Barnes is incorrect and does not work. Barnes was TEN times the player JFC is proving so far to be.

I don't entirely blame JFC though, he's not the right sort of player for the role he had yesterday. With Ince, Holla AND Calde all doing donkey work behind, it completely freed up a place for a FLAIR player - hence one of the major reasons Tex shone in the previous game, he had no defensive responsibilities.

Tex being ill was gutting but then you have to look at a replacement FLAIR player, so Colunga comes in. Or March. Or McCourt. Or bloody Agustein. NOT JFC, who isn't a flair player. Still not sure exactly what sort of player he is meant to be...

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
The comparison between JFC and Ashley Barnes is incorrect and does not work. Barnes was TEN times the player JFC is proving so far to be.

I don't entirely blame JFC though, he's not the right sort of player for the role he had yesterday. With Ince, Holla AND Calde all doing donkey work behind, it completely freed up a place for a FLAIR player - hence one of the major reasons Tex shone in the previous game, he had no defensive responsibilities.

Tex being ill was gutting but then you have to look at a replacement FLAIR player, so Colunga comes in. Or March. Or McCourt. Or bloody Agustein. NOT JFC, who isn't a flair player. Still not sure exactly what sort of player he is meant to be...

Perfectly put. (apart form the Agustein gag)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

This, this, a thousand times this.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
He's never been in form to start with...He offers absolutely nothing to the side and he is league 1 at best.He's the poster boy and nothing else.
It's like playing with 10 men when he starts...useless and well out of his depth end of...Only recall him having one great game and that was against southampton.

Exactly my feelings. He needs offloading.

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea

The comparison between JFC and Barnes clearly works

A large miniority of the crowd have decided that regardless of how he, or any other player, or the team as a whole, perform, that the one individual is more to blame than any other.

The abuse directed towards Barnes was ridiculous and I take relish in announcing in a loud voice from my seat how often we have missed his commitment and attitude and tenacity, oh and skill and goals, in matches this season.

It now seems that a large minority of the crowd have decided to dish out the same abuse to JFC.

He is clearly well thought of at the club and for England, by numerous managers including all of the recent Brighton ones, and has had newspaper talk linking him to much bigger clubs than us. He is young and still learning - as was Barnes - and perhaps people should give him a break.

In terms of your second point I do agree and I tried to point that earlier - he isn't Tex, he isn't Holla/Ince. He is an old fashioned AM in my mind but perhaps the issue is that the club and he need to work out what type of player he is and help him become it - within our system. Perhaps the problem is that he is currently going through that.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
QUOTE=Regency Gull;6785455]The comparison between JFC and Barnes clearly works

A large miniority of the crowd have decided that regardless of how he, or any other player, or the team as a whole, perform, that the one individual is more to blame than any other.

The abuse directed towards Barnes was ridiculous and I take relish in announcing in a loud voice from my seat how often we have missed his commitment and attitude and tenacity, oh and skill and goals, in matches this season.

It now seems that a large minority of the crowd have decided to dish out the same abuse to JFC.

He is clearly well thought of at the club and for England, by numerous managers including all of the recent Brighton ones, and has had newspaper talk linking him to much bigger clubs than us. He is young and still learning - as was Barnes - and perhaps people should give him a break.

In terms of your second point I do agree and I tried to point that earlier - he isn't Tex, he isn't Holla/Ince. He is an old fashioned AM in my mind but perhaps the issue is that the club and he need to work out what type of player he is and help him become it - within our system. Perhaps the problem is that he is currently going through that.[/QUOTE]

Can you have a 'large minority'?

How Large does it have to be before it isn't a minority?

Also I think the genuine majority actually don't 'abuse' JFC, but hold an opinion, that our team at this point in time - Plays better without him in it.

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea
Yes you can have a large minority - it is alot of people under half, or under the majority opinion

Once more than half or more than any other opinion - depending on whether you want a majority or an absolute majority - it turns from a large minority into a majority

Based on my experience of sitting in my seat at matches and listening, and viewing threads on here - something which I accept isn't scientific or precise - I would suggest a large minority of the vocal supporters are giving JFC abuse just like they did to Barnes. I count saying he shouldn't be on the pitch., should be subbed, saying JFC again at any mistake and saying he is league one - as football based abuse.

I would also add that he had Gardener running some interference taking some abuse for a while but his departure has intensified the attention on JFC.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
JFC's work rate is good but his decision making with the ball is a problem. He is no longer a forward thinking player, he just passes sideways and back. On the odd occasion that he does play a ball forward, most of the time he loses it.

However, I do think he's a decent squad player and maybe CH will coach him into a better player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here