Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC - Please God make this the last time we have to watch him play in an Albion shirt...

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
You have your opinions but all I see is a guy in the stripes working his nuts off.
When are you guys going get off the lads back?

When we see the same thing you do, Mouldy. What I see is: jog about, ten or fifteen yards to the left or right, but under no circumstances actually up to the opposing player to close him down. Watch him pass the pall past you, then sprint past you on his way to support an attack. Jog backwards in the same direction, but under no circumstances try to go with the run. Point.

That's what I see. It's certainly true (and bloody irritating) that the whole side stood and watched Arsenal play for at least a half yesterday, but he does it every bloody game. When we harried them, got in their faces, made them rush their passes, we did much better. Any player who'd done that would have contributed more. It was a relief when he was subbed, because he'd been an absolute passenger for 81 minutes, and that's the least forgivable trait for any fan in their own players. He still got applauded off - he gets it in the neck on here but I think he gets off lightly in the stadium.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
When we see the same thing you do, Mouldy. What I see is: jog about, ten or fifteen yards to the left or right, but under no circumstances actually up to the opposing player to close him down. Watch him pass the pall past you, then sprint past you on his way to support an attack. Jog backwards in the same direction, but under no circumstances try to go with the run. Point.

That's what I see. It's certainly true (and bloody irritating) that the whole side stood and watched Arsenal play for at least a half yesterday, but he does it every bloody game. When we harried them, got in their faces, made them rush their passes, we did much better. Any player who'd done that would have contributed more. It was a relief when he was subbed, because he'd been an absolute passenger for 81 minutes, and that's the least forgivable trait for any fan in their own players. He still got applauded off - he gets it in the neck on here but I think he gets off lightly in the stadium.

Good post.

D

Deleted member 2719

I just think too many supporters get hung up watching for him to do something he is either incapable of or just itching him to cockup. My question is when people started shouting for samis head at matches a lot of friction was caused in the stands, is it any different to basically shout for one players head every time he touches the ball.On the wrong day people will maim over this.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Agree that Ince was poor first half but so was everyone apart from Bruno. Ince was immense in the second half though.

Apart, that is, from giving the ball away umpteen times in the second half and being responsible for creating the opportunity for their third goal. Failing to track back regularly, clearing the lines poorly and losing his man on more than one occasion.
Aside from that, he was immense.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Fans keep raking up the fact that JFC plays for England U21's. So what. It doesn't mean anything. Its light years away from competitive top flight football. As soon as he plays against mature, experienced players, he struggles. There was an incident yesterday when three Arsenal players converged on him. He panicked and toe-poked the ball at poor old Inigo Calderon at 100mph, who promptly and understandably mis-controilled it.
Jake can't lift the tempo of a game. He wants to play at one pace. He loves nothing more than tracking back to pick up the ball from the defence and lay off a little 5 yard ball. He can't drive the team forward. He is languid in movement and wants to be a sort of poor man's Hoddle and hope that others will do the running for him.
Can anyone really say that he has ' trained on ' from three years ago?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apart, that is, from giving the ball away umpteen times in the second half and being responsible for creating the opportunity for their third goal. Failing to track back regularly, clearing the lines poorly and losing his man on more than one occasion.
Aside from that, he was immense.

This what I saw yesterday, plus virtually every pass is backwards or sideways, and when he has space to drive forward he rarely does. Seems to be the one player that hasn't grown in confidence under Hughton.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
This thread is unbelievable.

JFC is far from the finished article but he is certainly not woeful ! In the last few games when he has been playing in his favoured more advanced role, he has been far more effective, won some tackles and put some good cross field passes. Did everyone have their eyes closed on Weds when he dinked that lovely pass to March?

Sure he has had positional issues but I genuinely think most people are completely blind to the good things he does and only concentrate on the mistakes.

He is a young local lad and we should be given him (& March) all our support to help become a better player.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I'm afraid it's "this". Plays every game like it's a training match.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
This thread is unbelievable.

JFC is far from the finished article but he is certainly not woeful ! In the last few games when he has been playing in his favoured more advanced role, he has been far more effective, won some tackles and put some good cross field passes. Did everyone have their eyes closed on Weds when he dinked that lovely pass to March?

Sure he has had positional issues but I genuinely think most people are completely blind to the good things he does and only concentrate on the mistakes.

He is a young local lad and we should be given him (& March) all our support to help become a better player.

Absolutely agree. I'm fed up with all the negative reactions to a young talented lad. The young players need support and encouragement not the continual witch hunt that goes on here.

You are right, this thread is unbelievable.

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
Absolutely agree. I'm fed up with all the negative reactions to a young talented lad. The young players need support and encouragement not the continual witch hunt that goes on here.

You are right, this thread is unbelievable.

Completely agree ..... If he was playing in the reserves, but he is not!
Totally out of it in the main team. Not a Championship player yet. Needs time out. When he starts a match you know we are not going to win a match. Regretfully the worse player to put on an Albion shirt on a regular basis at the Amex.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
He has been consistently poor all season, who knows what managers see in him because he offers nothing. He needs to go out on loan to a lower league to get some game time and be at his level, so we dont have to put up with his dire dispalys week in week out.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I take no pleasure in criticising a Brighton player, Rod Marsh and Paddy B, and try extremely hard not to do so in the ground. This place is the one place where it should surely be OK to let off such steam - he need never see it or even be aware of it if he doesn't choose to come on here (and why should he?) This is a forum for opinions so it's better they're aired here than yelled at him in the stadium. Like I said, in the grounds I think people are pretty measured, as frustrated as they get with him - certainly he doesn't get anything like the stick that Barnes got, for example.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
When JFC broke into the team I had great hope for him, we had all heard that he was a young star in the making, but 3yrs late and it is 3yrs I really don't see any improvement. He should by now be fit and strong enough to deal with yesterday's game but I watched a player who was slow to the ball, didn't show himself for the pass, had no change of pace and did not support O'Grady when needed ( which was the role he should have been doing) the loss of Tex was a massive blow. People have also commented on Ince in the 1st half, I would like to say that Arsenal in the 1st 45 mins got it dead right, they bypassed Ince and didn't let him get in the game by moving the ball down the wings and when he moved accross to cover their m/f moved into the gap he left in the middle with the Albion defence slow to cover. Yesterday was a game that showed the huge gap in quality between this Albion side and the top of the Premiership.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He has been consistently poor all season, who knows what managers see in him because he offers nothing. He needs to go out on loan to a lower league to get some game time and be at his level, so we dont have to put up with his dire dispalys week in week out.

I've watched him all season (when he plays) and unfortunately he is just not good enough in much the same way CMS isn't. No malice-they are just not good enough. Jake takes all the fluidity out of our play with his poor passing or desire to move sideways or backwards. His tackling is almost non-existant which shouldn't be a surprise because he is usually nowhere near the action. He needs to go out on loan to L1. Again, no malice but we cannot afford to have him as a passenger all the while we are still under threat of relegation. Sorry Jake.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I try not to voice criticism at the ground but the frustrations sometimes get the better of me.

My problem with JFC is that I genuinely do not see why he gets to start when the team always looks better when he is not there. I have convinced myself that I must be missing something but it is very well hidden.

And there is the main difference with Barnes. As much abuse as Barnes got it was undeserved - the team looked better when he played. And he has never been replaced.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I only tend to go to home league games, so some of this is based on radio comments/feedback from fans in attendance, his notable positive contributions:

Swindon (LC) Cleared off our goal line after some defensive errors. Scored penalty for third. Won the second penalty, scored it.
Blackburn Took the corner we scored from
Norwich Good block at 0-0
Wolves Joint NSC MotM with Stockdale
Reading Scored our first.
Arsenal (FA) Credited with an assist (I assume the first, as Holla was noted as playing the ball through for Baldock for the second)

This is the funniest post I've ever seen.......serious or not serious. Either way it's hilarious.

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea
JFC is the new Ashley Barnes

Everyone is slagging him and when he leaves they'll all realise that we miss him.

He has been playing this season for a shit manager who seemed to prefer his attacking midfielders to play the holding role with no full backs. Consequently he - along with Holla and Gardener - spent a huge amount of time in the wrong place not really sure where they were supposed to be.

JFC is young, clearly has talent, has been chucked in to a difficult situation at a young age, has been picked at every England age group by multiple managers, was a contender for England U21 player of the year (the u21s are quite good).

He made mistakes yesterday and was slow at times moving the ball forward. Ince made mistakes yesterday and according to our manager at times you wondered where he was. Greer has made multiple mistakes over the last few games, been turned regularly and been off the pace of the game. All of them also did good things

But lets all focus on one player.

Get off the boys back

Everyone is slagging him and when he leaves they'll all realise that we miss him.

He has been playing this season for a shit manager who seemed to prefer his attacking midfielders to play the holding role with no full backs. Consequently he - along with Holla and Gardener - spent a huge amount of time in the wrong place not really sure where they were supposed to be.

JFC is young, clearly has talent, has been chucked in to a difficult situation at a young age, has been picked at every England age group by multiple managers, was a contender for England U21 player of the year (the u21s are quite good).

He made mistakes yesterday and was slow at times moving the ball forward. Ince made mistakes yesterday and according to our manager at times you wondered where he was. Greer has made multiple mistakes over the last few games, been turned regularly and been off the pace of the game. All of them also did good things

But lets all focus on one player.

Get off the boys back

Explain what talent he clearly has - because it is clearly not evident to the majority.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I don't agree. When JFC didn't play we looked much more fluid and dangerous. Admittedly, the player who made the difference against Ipswich was Teixeira, who's not a BHAFC player, so that's not a fair comparison. But that aside, when he's not playing we don't miss him.

When Barnes didn't play for whatever reason we did miss him, we missed his tenacity, energy and no small number of goals.

There is nothing (that I can see) that Jake does that someone else in the squad can't do at least as well, and often far better.

I too had an unnecessary outburst yesterday, directed at Jake (of which I'm not proud). It was in the first half (near the end) when we were breaking down the right wing. Calde went to exchange passes with JFC (as they reach near the corner of the Arsenal box) and instead of either passing into space ahead of Calde, or passing to his feet, JFC decided to kick the ball full pelt directly at Calde's midriff. I'm not sure where he expected Calde to be, but his arm waving afterwards seemed to suggest we should have moved the 30 yards to the wing in the 1 second available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here