[Offers] Jessie Lingard

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We need more goals.

Goalscoring midfielder on Manchester United wages;

I don't think he's a fit.
Amended for you.

Of course, he's already earned more at ManU than most people earn in a lifetime, and common sense should tell him that if ManU don't keep him when his contract ends that even if he only gets half or two thirds of what he gets there he'll still be a very rich and well-paid young man. Unfortunately PL footbalers (and their greedy agents) don't view life from the persprctive of common sense. Worth smashing our wage structure for? Nope.

Besides, since the introduction of Caicedo and Mwepu, plus more game time for Mac, our midfield suddenly looks a lot less toothless than in recent seasons - they are actually getting into the box when the ball is heading that way!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am still not a fan and would be somewhat underwhelmed in the unlikely event that we signed him but if GP wants him that’s good enough for this fanboy :smile:

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Amended for you.

Of course, he's already earned more at ManU than most people earn in a lifetime, and common sense should tell him that if ManU don't keep him when his contract ends that even if he only gets half or two thirds of what he gets there he'll still be a very rich and well-paid young man. Unfortunately PL footbalers (and their greedy agents) don't view life from the persprctive of common sense. Worth smashing our wage structure for? Nope.

Besides, since the introduction of Caicedo and Mwepu, plus more game time for Mac, our midfield suddenly looks a lot less toothless than in recent seasons - they are actually getting into the box when the ball is heading that way!

This, he is 29 i believe and looking for that one last high paying contract. We won't pay 100k pw for him which i expect is the least he is after.

Personally i don't think we should be signing anyone over the age of 26 unless, they want to come to be part of the plan and bigger picture, and aren't out for high wages to pay for their diamond encrusted gear knob for their G Wagon.

Lallana is most definitely the former, Lingard closer to the later i fear.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Amended for you.

You don't need to amend anything. If he came on a free, you've automatically saved a transfer fee, so there would be ways of working a deal that kept him in the wage structure but perhaps used a signing on fee, loyalty / performance bonuses etc.

Anyway, all hypothetical. Would I welcome him returning? yes. Should I worry about what he might do to the wage structure etc.? No, because we have to have a bit of trust in how the club is being run and fairly confident they wouldn't be held to ransom over him. Both Lallana and Welbeck have done pretty well as 30 year old free agents. Both positive additions imho.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You don't need to amend anything. If he came on a free, you've automatically saved a transfer fee, so there would be ways of working a deal that kept him in the wage structure but perhaps used a signing on fee, loyalty / performance bonuses etc.

Anyway, all hypothetical. Would I welcome him returning? yes. Should I worry about what he might do to the wage structure etc.? No, because we have to have a bit of trust in how the club is being run and fairly confident they wouldn't be held to ransom over him. Both Lallana and Welbeck have done pretty well as 30 year old free agents. Both positive additions imho.

You wouldn't save a transfer fee - you'd just pay it to him and his agent rather than to the club.

Yes, I know deals have been done with both Lallana and Welbeck - but I don't think another such deal is the way ahead.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This, he is 29 i believe and looking for that one last high paying contract. We won't pay 100k pw for him which i expect is the least he is after.

Personally i don't think we should be signing anyone over the age of 26 unless, they want to come to be part of the plan and bigger picture, and aren't out for high wages to pay for their diamond encrusted gear knob for their G Wagon.

Lallana is most definitely the former, Lingard closer to the later i fear.

I think the Albion have been blessed with some excellent experienced pros that have helped guide us to where we are now. From Kishishev guiding Bridcutt, to Greer guiding Dunk, Bruno and Calderon through to Murray and Lallana - to have experience is key. Look how inconsistent Arsenal have been under Arteta despite having had some of the countries best young attacking talent.

I would argue that when Lallana leaves we will need a player of similar stature as replacement, so if you have a policy of not signing anyone over 26 it will bite you on the arse.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think the Albion have been blessed with some excellent experienced pros that have helped guide us to where we are now. From Kishishev guiding Bridcutt, to Greer guiding Dunk, Bruno and Calderon through to Murray and Lallana - to have experience is key. Look how inconsistent Arsenal have been under Arteta despite having had some of the countries best young attacking talent.

I would argue that when Lallana leaves we will need a player of similar stature as replacement, so if you have a policy of not signing anyone over 26 it will bite you on the arse.

Agreed, it doesn't matter how talented the youngster, he will always need an old pro to guide him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You wouldn't save a transfer fee - you'd just pay it to him and his agent rather than to the club.

Yes, I know deals have been done with both Lallana and Welbeck - but I don't think another such deal is the way ahead.

Errr...yes I thought that was pretty obvious.

Personally I think mixing our investments in predominantly relatively unknown young players with the occasional big club / international player toward the back end of their careers is a nice balance to have.

I got the impression both Lallana and Welbeck bought a lot off the field as well as on it.

Only opinions though. I wouldn't expect Lingard to come here anyway as Everton, Newcastle, Villa etc. would be the natural feeding ground for a 29 year being let go my MU.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Agreed, it doesn't matter how talented the youngster, he will always need an old pro to guide him.

You need a blend, there is no doubt about that. The infamous Man Utd side that won the EPL after Alan Hansens famous 'you'll win nothing with kids' comment had Peter Schmeichel (32), Denis Irwin (30), Steve Bruce (35), Eric Cantona (29), Gary Pallister (30) amongst its most regular starters.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I actually think he’d be the perfect singing. Versatile, scores goals. We could do with more more senior pros especially as it’s likely we will see less and less of Lallana.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Its got Everton and West Ham written all over it but don't rule out a Beaky bargain hunt seeing as how the loaned in one one team is returning to Chelsea.

If he does go to Newcastle then we should go for Willock. With Newcastle constantly upgrading their squad some very good players will be available as they will get no game time.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Does Rashford want to play football anymore? Looks uninterested and crap.

His manager is Ralph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here