Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Jerry Sadowitz gig cancelled at Edinburgh Fringe

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That’s a bit like a child saying ‘shit’ in front of adults for the first time. It’s why we all laughed at the Young Ones when we were teenagers. Look at us and how shocking we are as we go through a rebellious phase. It’s a completely recognizable desire to be ‘out there.’ Just not in a 60 year old man. That’s just a bit sad.

That’s his act though. Are you saying that he should change it as he grows older or remain true to the character he has developed?

Also, he’s a great magician. This is often overlooked. I think you’d enjoy his slight of hand.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That’s his act though. Are you saying that he should change it as he grows older or remain true to the character he has developed?

Also, he’s a great magician. This is often overlooked. I think you’d enjoy his slight of hand.

Fair enough. No, he should do what he wants. That’s fine. Someone posted some of his material so I was just giving it a review. I’m guessing your slight of hand comment is some sort of dig. That’s fine as well.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Bernard Manning had a Rolls Royce, left a million pound estate and his Asian neighbour, a local GP, of 25 years delivered the eulogy at his funeral.

Clearly a happy medium can be reached………

Just to be really, really clear. You have just said that he can't be racist because one of his best friends is foreign? If Carlsberg did clichés.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I haven’t read any comment from JS about this banning form the venue but knowing something of his attitude I strongly suspect he won’t give a shit. In fact I’d imagine part of him will be enjoying it in some way.

I may be wrong but he doesn’t seem to react the same way to such things as others might.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
"A giant of a man! A gangster, a villain, a murderer, a paedophile, a gerontophiliac, a rapist...and he still had the panache to come at you with a f***ing cigar! AND host children's shows whenever he got the f***ing opportunity! You've got to admire the audacity of that!"

Jerry Sadowitz - Comedian, Magician, Psychopath, 2011.

That’s a bit like a child saying ‘shit’ in front of adults for the first time. It’s why we all laughed at the Young Ones when we were teenagers. Look at us and how shocking we are as we go through a rebellious phase. It’s a completely recognizable desire to be ‘out there.’ Just not in a 60 year old man. That’s just a bit sad.

I think that the point is the date. Sadowitz, who was 50 at the time, not 60, said that about Savile in 2011, the year he died, the year the BBC was doing their tributes to him. The previous quote posted was from 1997, when Sadowitz was 36 and Savile was still very much alive, very powerful and very litigious. He wasn't trying to shock, he was stating his own shock. He was doing a comedy routine, but it turns out that he was also the little boy in 'The Emperor's New Clothes'.

I don't agree that there is an age at which its exciting to say the unsayable, an age at which you should stop. I appreciate an old curmodgeon as much as a young rebel. And I still do and always will laugh at 'The Young Ones.'

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You'd know more than me. I stumbled through the first one when reading it to my daughter at bedtime and have never watched any of the films. My kids read a lot of different books during their childhood and did enjoy the Potter films, but have never got very far with any of the books.

My decision was made long before the recent furore and based entirely on her writing style. I'd read my kids 'The Worst Witch.' and my wife had read them 'Malory Towers' HP&TPS seemed to me to be ripping off and shunting together the two and less coherently written than either of the influences. Who am I to say though? She's made an absolute fortune.

Absolutely loved the Worst Witch!!!! The owl that was afraid of the dark was a favourite of my girls, funny bones too!

One of the pleasures of growing up and parenthood was reading to the girls these books

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
One of the pleasures of growing up and parenthood was reading to the girls these books

Absolutley. I sometimes think that my wife only wanted kids so that she had an excuse to read children's books. We did all the ones from our respective childhoods; Blyton, Nesbitt, E.B White, Seuss, Scarry, Crompton, Dahl, Graeme, but then there are so many other great ones for all age groups; the Ahlbergs, Tony Ross, Michael Rosen, Andy Stanton, Jacqueline Wilson, Helen Cooper, Mo Willems, Brighton's Nick Sharratt. She's kept them all. She says its in case of grandchildren, but I think that she just likes re-reading them herself every now and then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just to be really, really clear. You have just said that he can't be racist because one of his best friends is foreign? If Carlsberg did clichés.

And let's not forget he was found to have used racial slurs against black hotel workers back in the 90s. So it's not only a cliche....it's bullshit.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
And let's not forget he was found to have used racial slurs against black hotel workers back in the 90s. So it's not only a cliche....it's bullshit.

Couldn't be arsed to get involved in the hour long argument. Just the idea that in 2022, people are still using the "I can't be racist as one of my friends is black" trope is amusing to me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think that the point is the date. Sadowitz, who was 50 at the time, not 60, said that about Savile in 2011, the year he died, the year the BBC was doing their tributes to him. The previous quote posted was from 1997, when Sadowitz was 36 and Savile was still very much alive, very powerful and very litigious. He wasn't trying to shock, he was stating his own shock. He was doing a comedy routine, but it turns out that he was also the little boy in 'The Emperor's New Clothes'.

I don't agree that there is an age at which its exciting to say the unsayable, an age at which you should stop. I appreciate an old curmodgeon as much as a young rebel. And I still do and always will laugh at 'The Young Ones.'

Fair play to him for that 1997 comment whilst Saville was still alive. Sounds like JS is as much a social commentator as anything else. We can’t all by Tim Vine fans but that’s more my idea of a night out. The whole thing sounds like a bit of a cultural clash with different audiences wanting different things.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Couldn't be arsed to get involved in the hour long argument. Just the idea that in 2022, people are still using the "I can't be racist as one of my friends is black" trope is amusing to me.

Totally agree.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So do they still book the Black and White Minstrels too ?
Funny old world, isn't it? Man exposes himself, racially abuses ethnic minorities, abuses gay and disabled people - but hey, we're all sophisticated tolerant liberal people, aren't we - it's free speech, it's art, outrageous that it gets cancelled.
.... but the Black and White Minstrels - oh god, let me clutch my pearls!

(And no, I'm not advocating the return of the Black and White Minstrels - it's just about the sort of selective hypocracy which decides which aberration is acceptable and which isn't).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here