[Humour] Jerry Sadowitz gig cancelled at Edinburgh Fringe

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
there are surely all sorts of free choices being made

The venue has the right to put on who they like and cancel those they dont like
the audience has the right to attend or leave
the comedian has the right to say what he likes within the law

By the venue cancelling this comedian no one is restricting his right to free speech. He has every right to hire a venue himself and put on his own show if he cant do it anywhere else

His tour is pretty comprehensive. Just got a load of free publicity too.

Is there an opposite of being cancelled?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
His tour is pretty comprehensive. Just got a load of free publicity too.

Is there an opposite of being cancelled?

He has a whole tour to promote ? How absolutely dreadful that this sort of thing should happen right at the beginning :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He has a whole tour to promote ? How absolutely dreadful that this sort of thing should happen right at the beginning :lolol:

The problem is his shows will now be full of JCL gammons and swivel-eyed free speech defending goons.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So why did he personally sell the movie rights (to ****ing Hollywood) back in the 1960s?

Maybe he had a clause in the contract that allowed them to veto anything put forth? He was still alive then after all.

This isn't exactly an uncommon thing. Like how Game of Thrones was very good until the moment G RR Martin wasn't having input into the storylines then it went downhill.

There's a reason why Christopher Tolkien was so protective of his father's works once his Father passed.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Maybe he had a clause in the contract that allowed them to veto anything put forth? He was still alive then after all.

This isn't exactly an uncommon thing. Like how Game of Thrones was very good until the moment G RR Martin wasn't having input into the storylines then it went downhill.

There's a reason why Christopher Tolkien was so protective of his father's works once his Father passed.

He was 77 and realistically must have understood that there was a fair chance the movies would be made when he was dead and buried.

Pro tip: if you're protective of your work, don't sell it to an American movie studio.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I think people are questioning why book him in the first place if you're only going to cancel him.

Incompetence on their part or scared of a bit of noise from some unfunny moaners?

Yes however the incompetence or lack of courage of the people at the venue isn't really an important issue. The only thing that matters is whether his right to free speech is being restricted. That seems to me clearly not to be the case and he certainly doesn,t have the right to appear wherever he may want to.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
A second show cancelled, Daily Mail headlines, A [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] thread, 7 pages of NSC posts in one night, all over social media (I'm guessing the last one)

I bet he never imagined that when he was writing this show :wink:

Watford old love you know with a Rider thread, practically a Gulls Eye extension, you will get a full and frank exchange of opinions and an eclectic mix of posters 😂

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Bernard Manning donated a lot of money to charity , h was a bit of a kant but he had a benevolent side and his humour still appeals to many , less enlightened , northern folk...:D:lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Bernard Manning donated a lot of money to charity , h was a bit of a kant but he had a benevolent side and his humour still appeals to many , less enlightened , northern folk...:D:lolol:

Well that's ok then.

When you said northern **** who tried to make up for being a nasty **** by doing a lot for charity, it wasn't necessarily the first name that sprang to mind ???

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
He was 77 and realistically must have understood that there was a fair chance the movies would be made when he was dead and buried.

Pro tip: if you're protective of your work, don't sell it to an American movie studio.

They did learn their lesson. That's why Amazon don't own the rights to the stories they have based their garbage show on. The estate wouldn't sell it to them.

This is why this show hopefully fails miserably so that they lose a crap load of money. Maybe it leads to someone competent telling the stories as they need to be told.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
They did learn their lesson. That's why Amazon don't own the rights to the stories they have based their garbage show on. The estate wouldn't sell it to them.

This is why this show hopefully fails miserably so that they lose a crap load of money. Maybe it leads to someone competent telling the stories as they need to be told.

What is the relevance of your film review to the Jerry Sadowitz thread ? I enjoyed the Bonfire of the Vanities book and hated the film. I didn’t think there was anymore to it than that though. Just not to my taste. Similar for High Fidelity now I come to think of it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/08/14/51467/pleasance_staff_abused_after_jerry_sadowitz_ban

‘We don’t vet the full content of acts in advance and while Jerry Sadowitz is a controversial comedian, we could not have known the specifics of his performance. The Pleasance has staged his work numerous times over the years, but as soon as we received complaints from those in the building which caused us great concern, we knew we could not allow the final performance to go ahead.'

Sounds like STAFF complained, not the audience, which suggests the management didn't advise them on what to expect...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Well that's ok then.

When you said northern **** who tried to make up for being a nasty **** by doing a lot for charity, it wasn't necessarily the first name that sprang to mind ???

just because you don't like his humour doesn't make him nasty ....the other thing you are talking about was a psychotic , paedo mess who , despite being under a huge cloud of suspicion was allowed , by the establishment , to continue his criminal , sadistic behaviour unchecked......so who's the nasty kant now...ffs....:shrug:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
What is the relevance of your film review to the Jerry Sadowitz thread ? I enjoyed the Bonfire of the Vanities book and hated the film. I didn’t think there was anymore to it than that though. Just not to my taste. Similar for High Fidelity now I come to think of it.

he's at it with swanny keep up....:rolleyes:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Maybe it leads to someone competent telling the stories as they need to be told.

I'd say 'Why don't people just read the books?', but having made that mistake myself, I realise that, according to JRR, 'the stories as they need to be told' means incredibly slowly, with endless unnecessary and over detailed description of whatever landscape the characters happen to be passing. I blame Ralph Bakshi as his film piqued my interest one Sunday afternoon as a kid and, in those days, the only way to find out what happened after his film of the first part ended was to read the books. Using a method of picking the trilogy up, reading a bit, putting it down and reading something good, then going back to it, it took me about three years to finish. By the end I wanted to throw it in a volcano. Absolutely the worst written 'classic' I have ever read. It's sustained popularity was unfathomable to me, but I suppose, since then, thanks to Peter Jackson, half of the people who claim it as their favourite haven't had to actually encounter the ploddingly turgid prose, but can just watch the films and claim to like the books, like my kids did with the equally poorly written Harry Potter series.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'd say 'Why don't people just read the books?', but having made that mistake myself, I realise that, according to JRR, 'the stories as they need to be told' means incredibly slowly, with endless unnecessary and over detailed description of whatever landscape the characters happen to be passing. I blame Ralph Bakshi as his film piqued my interest one Sunday afternoon as a kid and, in those days, the only way to find out what happened after his film of the first part ended was to read the books. Using a method of picking the trilogy up, reading a bit, putting it down and reading something good, then going back to it, it took me about three years to finish. By the end I wanted to throw it in a volcano. Absolutely the worst written 'classic' I have ever read. It's sustained popularity was unfathomable to me, but I suppose, since then, thanks to Peter Jackson, half of the people who claim it as their favourite haven't had to actually encounter the ploddingly turgid prose, but can just watch the films and claim to like the books, like my kids did with the equally poorly written Harry Potter series.

If you watch the movies you will actually have a decent idea of the actual story line from the book.

Not so with this series. Nothing a like.

I've read all his books 3-4 times so not sure how it's prose when he created multiple new languages within that world. Bit more complicated than prose.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've read all his books 3-4 times so not sure how it's prose when he created multiple new languages within that world. Bit more complicated than prose.

Prose means 'not poetry'. Its a description, not an insult. 'Ploddingly turgid' was the insult.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If you watch the movies you will actually have a decent idea of the actual story line from the book.

Not so with this series. Nothing a like.

How many episodes are you basing your review of this show on? It seems to me that only one has been aired as yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here