Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Clarkson Scandal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm pretty sure you're a troll account but what the hell.

A number of people that find the word deeply personally offensive have told me and the reasons why. Real people. That's enough for me.

Do you not think that it is an offensive term then?

One of his mates at 'work' had the word in question as his nickname. He didn't mind at all. It was GREAT CRAIC.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
spring hall convert;6317359[B said:
]I'm pretty sure you're a troll accoun[/B]t but what the hell.

A number of people that find the word deeply personally offensive have told me and the reasons why. Real people. That's enough for me.

And I do.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But that's disingenuous, it's not like it's a context thing or a clever bit of word play. It's just a deeply, deeply offensive word with serious racial connotations that Clarkson was 100% aware of.

I'm not saying the clip he dropped was funny, and nor he is he saying it was, as far as I have seen. No-one claims it's clever word play, and no-one is claiming he ever decided it SHOULD be broadcast. I think you are getting off topic and into the realms of your overall dislike of the man.

Personally, I don't think individual words are racist, it is all about the usage, and context they are delivered. If we were discussing this incident in a pub, would either of us be racist if we used the word in repeating the rhyme that Clarkson repeated? I would say not.

Just as I wouldn't be racist if while talking about how acceptability changes over time, I made the point that once upon a time it was a description for a "jet black" paint. It wasn't always "jet" black, it was [the word I shall not use for fear of offending you] black. But clearly if we then went up to the bar and got the barmans attention by calling out "Excuse me [the word I shall not use for fear of offending you]" then I would say we ARE being racist.

It's not the word for me, it's the context. Mumbling a well known rhyme, was a form of censorship of the word. On reflection he thought better of it.

Now, I will move on ...

Irish_Seagull

Mar 25, 2014
I'm pretty sure you're a troll account but what the hell.

An equal number of people have told me it wasn't offensive. I am actually offended by the troll like witch hunt.

Is there actually a difference between the fascism of the left and the fascism of the right?

When you silence everyone else and we all have one opinion and government approved humour what do we do then?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've given this matter considerable thought and my overwhelming feeling is that I don't give a s**t.

This 'faux outrage' internet bollocks is laughable. One European country has invaded another European country's borders and taken the first step towards WW3 - not a f**king murmur on NSC. Yet Clarkson whispers something or other and it's 14 pages in a morning!

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I've given this matter considerable thought and my overwhelming feeling is that I don't give a s**t.

This 'faux outrage' internet bollocks is laughable. One European country has invaded another European country's borders and taken the first step towards WW3 - not a f**king murmur on NSC. Yet Clarkson whispers something or other and it's 14 pages in a morning!

THIS all day long....however I am being entertained!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
No. Comedy is often about taking risks, being close to the edge of acceptability, so I would suggest they tried to use the full rhyme, but mumble the offensive word. They also did a take where he substituted the word for "teacher". When they reviewed the takes, they decided the mumbling versions didn't work, and they ended up on the cutting room floor.

I don't see that it's any different to typing a racist word with %$^& symbols within the word, but then reviewing it, and deciding to not use it at all before you hit "Post". In hindsight, and in time, you think better of making the reference, even in a disguised way.

So, yes, all is well.

I hate to break it you, but if you often find yourself typing emails or posts with n***** in them needlessly, you're probably a racist

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
From the minute the thread was started it was always going to go where it has, I somehow think that was always known to be the case!

Can I share your popcorn? :lol:

It's only a SMALL packet of popcorn so no you can't. Pull up a chair though, I've got other confectionery.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
This is so much a generation thing. When I was a kid the N word was a really popular name for black dogs. If you wanted a dark brown jumper you'd ask for n*gg*r brown. Things change, I remember when this board had no ban on any word.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
An equal number of people have told me it wasn't offensive. I am actually offended by the troll like witch hunt.

Is there actually a difference between the fascism of the left and the fascism of the right?

When you silence everyone else and we all have one opinion and government approved humour what do we do then?

So because in your experience, the black people you have spoken to don't find the word offensive that means that no-one can find it offensive. Rightho.

You mention humour - what's funny about it? Was it actually meant to be funny? I thought it was just a rich, white, entitled idiot being a rich, white, entitled idiot.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
THIS all day long....however I am being entertained!

500 hundred years ago the mob would identify and then hunt down a "witch" - whether or not she WAS a witch was immaterial, because hunting witches was good fun and gave the masses a happy feeling of moral superiority.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sky would love Clarkson to get sacked, Top Gear is one of the BBC's biggest earners and they'd love to get him.

Saying that, if he had worked for Sky he would have been sacked long ago, commercial broadcasters just can't take the risk with their advertisers. Clarkson is on his last life and next time that will probably be it

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
500 hundred years ago the mob would identify and then hunt down a "witch" - whether or not she WAS a witch was immaterial, because hunting witches was good fun and gave the masses a happy feeling of moral superiority.

You are not allowed a different opinion to the masses...well not on NSC anyway. I myself have no opinion on the matter in hand!

Irish_Seagull

Mar 25, 2014
So because in your experience, the black people you have spoken to don't find the word offensive that means that no-one can find it offensive. Rightho.

You mention humour - what's funny about it? Was it actually meant to be funny? I thought it was just a rich, white, entitled idiot being a rich, white, entitled idiot.
The funniest thing about the whole thread is that there are so many liberal nazis climbing to be the best fascist of all

How dare Jeremy clarkson make a one liner, how dare he.

Bunch of intellectual nazis

The type of idiots that hug a mugger or tug a paedophile

These idiots are more dangerous to a free society than any number of Islamic or otherwise terrorists

Find something to do.. Live and let live

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I remember when this board had no ban on any word.

I remember when NSC wasn't costing Bozza £600 a month to run.

If you want to pay him that money each month you can have your word back, until then we'll keep Google Adwords happy.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The funniest thing about the whole thread is that there are so many liberal nazis climbing to be the best fascist of all

How dare Jeremy clarkson make a one liner, how dare he.

Bunch of intellectual nazis

The type of idiots that hug a mugger or tug a paedophile

These idiots are more dangerous to a free society than any number of Islamic or otherwise terrorists

Find something to do.. Live and let live

Nazis, paedophiles and Islamic Terrorists in the same post. Have you been reading the Daily Mail?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here