Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JD Wetherspoon.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
As people have mentioned, JDW's do vary. I'm not sure I would bother going into a Brighton 'Spoons as there are far, far better pubs in the city.

'Spoons I don't mind are generally transport related. So the 'Spoons airside at the North Terminal at Gatwick is OK ,as is the one at Victoria Station.

'Spoons to be avoided would include the Horsham one, oh and the Jubilee Oak in Crawley is pretty horrific on a Friday night.

That said, I spent some of Christmas Day in the JOak ,with my parents (their idea). Got to say, never has round Turkey before....

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
With 'Spoons you generally get what it says on the tin.

I prefer that to pubs which are overpriced and up themselves. I have a theory that pubs in great locations don't have to try too hard and are often poor value experiences. For example, the Juggs in Kingston is in a lovely old building and nice spot at the foot of the Downs. Service is generally poor (high staff turnover); overpriced drinks; and, food delivered by Brake Brothers lorry and heated up on the premises. Few locals go there despite it being the only pub in a large village.

PG

I have heard some very similar opinions of this place from Kingston residents.
I do visit occasionally but this place is nowhere as good as nearby pubs like The Swan Lewes and The Abergavenny Arms in Rodmell.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
A lot of 'Spoons pubs up here are redundant Lloyds Bank branches.They seem to have been shrinking their portfolio for years, and now the pubs employ more people and give better service than the banks ever did!
The Southwick Lloyd's branch has just closed. I did mention at the weekend I should open a 'spoons' there, jokingly. Are they franchised, tenant type pubs or just managers?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Southwick Lloyd's branch has just closed. I did mention at the weekend I should open a 'spoons' there, jokingly. Are they franchised, tenant type pubs or just managers?

Managed and Tim Martin says they will spend £1m to buy and redevelop any property and return the set up cost and a profit is expected Within10 years.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A lot of 'Spoons pubs up here are redundant Lloyds Bank branches.They seem to have been shrinking their portfolio for years, and now the pubs employ more people and give better service than the banks ever did!

i wonder if they've considered offering ATMs and basic bank counter service? .

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Just round the corner from there now and was on the way to use the ATM. so it's Barclays or Co-op now.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Poor analysis.

Exactly, all depends on the location and potential clientele.

The Summoner (now closed) in Sittingbourne was ghastly, however that could describe the whole of Sittingbourne.

Just up the coast in Whitstable the Peter Cushing (in a beautiful Art Deco Cinema named after the great man) is absolutely stunning, probably one of my favourite pubs in Kent.

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Just round the corner from there now and was on the way to use the ATM. so it's Barclays or Co-op now.
Yep, with co-op one slow, Barclay's is going to be busy and bank holidays one of them always seem to run out of cash.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
As people have mentioned, JDW's do vary. I'm not sure I would bother going into a Brighton 'Spoons as there are far, far better pubs in the city.

'Spoons I don't mind are generally transport related. So the 'Spoons airside at the North Terminal at Gatwick is OK ,as is the one at Victoria Station.

'Spoons to be avoided would include the Horsham one, oh and the Jubilee Oak in Crawley is pretty horrific on a Friday night.

That said, I spent some of Christmas Day in the JOak ,with my parents (their idea). Got to say, never has round Turkey before....

Two that I have been in are old theatres or cinemas.

The one at Tunbridge Wells quite good for beer but heavy on Yuppies or their modern equivalent. Or even their older predecessor, Hooray Henries.

East Grinstead one Saturday lunchtime ghastly; like a giant drunken crèche with screaming drunk mums and screaming offspring.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Two that I have been in are old theatres or cinemas.

The one at Tunbridge Wells quite good for beer but heavy on Yuppies or their modern equivalent. Or even their older predecessor, Hooray Henries.

East Grinstead one Saturday lunchtime ghastly; like a giant drunken crèche with screaming drunk mums and screaming offspring.

The Wetherspoon's in Tunbridge Wells,The Opera House, is one of the most aesthetically appealing pubs you could find. The clientele is far from Yuppie though, to put it politely.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This. A fair few Wetherspoons are lovely old buildings which have sympathetically converted into JDW pubs while largely retaining their original features.

image.jpg

The Commercial Rooms in Bristol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here