Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JCLs to be upgraded

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Why would you assume that? Someone born in Chichester of Sussex parents has no cultural attachment to Arsenal, but there's nothing wrong with, say, someone of Indian parentage into their cricket wanting to support India.

It just comes down to whether - as a fan - you've got any personal / cultural / geographical link to your chosen team.

......... and someone born in Chichester was geographically closer to Poortsmouth than to Brighton. Just saying.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
So what about the JCFLs who started their support near the end of last season in the expectation that we'd win promotion last year. Are they now to be known as the JCPs? The Johnny Come Prematurelys

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Seriously,there could be anything from 5-10,000 extra fans attending if we gain promotion,that's a lot of "lost" revenue,that said,who really cares.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Some people are going to get stark reminders from me of discussions in the 90's about how shit we were and how we would never amount to anything. I was laughed at many times when talking about the pulling power of a well run club in Brighton. To be fair we are currently out doing my most optimistic arguments from back then but I will take it,i especially as one of the main culprits was a Newcastle fan from Brighton who started flowing the toon while at uni up there.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Why? Surely it's no worse than someone going from Worthing, Lewes, Eastbourne, Horsham, Crawley, etc down to Brighton? Those people too have turned their backs on their local clubs in order to support a bigger one. And every single one of the, perfectly valid, reasons they can give for choosing to support Brighton over their local team are exactly the same reasons as people give when asked why they support London Prem sides and not Brighton.

It seems the 'you should support your local club' rule only goes one way.

Sorry, I'm not supporting Reading

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Local being the key word there. All places you listed are still local to the biggest place and team in the catchment area. Everybody knows Brighton as a place, nearly everyone would have visited numerous times in their life, probably even born there.

To suggest that someone from Worthing supporting Brighton is no worse than a local cretin who supports some hateful conglomerate shithouse like manchester united, 5 hours a way, is bordering on the absurd.
I never mentioned Manchester United. I was talking about people who support London clubs which was in Pav's original post. And as I replied to him below Sussex IS in the catchment area of a team like Chelsea, so yes, Chelsea are a local 'big' club to Brighton in the same way as Brighton is to Worthing. This isn't a new phenomena btw that we can blame on Sky. When I was a boy in the 1960s everybody in my class supported a big team.

If everyone DID support their nearest local, amateur side then we'd have a load of non-league clubs getting crowds of 1,000 all over Sussex with no top level professional side in the county. I assume you DON'T want that to happen?
Well yes. If there was some strict football rule in place that said you had to support your local club then the crowds at local amateur / semi-pro matches would mushroom, and I'm sure the people at Worthing for example would love 2000+ crowds for every game. Fortunately however you can support whoever you like for whatever reason you like.

I understand the frustration people feel with say Worthing-based Chelsea fans, but if you look at it analytically it's just a food chain, always has been, always will be. Brighton were Sussex's first professional club and consequently have always traditionally hoovered up support that should 'rightfully' belong to other smaller Sussex clubs. In return the bigger London clubs have done it to Sussex, Surrey and the home counties. If we get into the Prem I'm sure our appeal will spread and we'll end up with fans from further afield who should be supporting their local teams.

Judging by some of the responses on this thread there could be some interesting future debates as to whether a new fan from Wiltshire say should be welcomed into the Albion fold or told to piss off and support Swindon.

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
I'm a bit confused here, not sure what label I should put on myself. I was born in Tunbridge Wells.
When I was about 5, I asked my father which was the closest team to where I was born, he said Brighton, I realise in hindsight, my Fathers geographical knowledge is none too clever, but I've been Brighton ever since (some 43 years now) I was brought up in Battersea and Milton Keynes and now live and work in Liverpool.
I'm a bronze card holder and go to as many away games as I can get to (tend to work Saturdays) I'm assuming, probably wrongly, that should any season tickets become available, I'll get invited to purchase before they go on general sale.
I fully intend to do so, should this be the case, I will therefore make my seat available for those home games where I cannot get the missus to travel to Brighton for a weekend away.
I'm just wondering what category of supporter I fall into, will I be greeted with a snarl or a polite nod at the Amex (I'm not expecting hugs as if I was a prodigal son) Any help would be much appreciated
:albion2:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
In a way I am not looking forward to us going up (whether it be this year or in 10 years). I can;t afford a season ticket at the moment and have my second child on the way which is another complication to throw into the mix in terms of childcare if my wide is working

However, the boy and I have managed 6 games so far this season which isn't bad for a 200 mile round trip to the AMEX. However I have a horrible feeling that it will be increasingly difficult to get down were we to go up.

I am not one of these people that would expect to see us v Chelsea, United etc. just because I had a season ticket at Withdean, but it would be nice to know that I could go down and see a game at some stage instead of a load of twats jumping on the bandwagon and taking up seats against Watford, Bournemouth, Everton etc.

Hopefully the club resist the urge to up the level of season ticket holders (if that is even possible)

If I had called Mrs Earle 'my wide' when she was carrying our second child, I doubt I'd still be here to include it in a post on NSC!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think there is another type that has started to turn up at the Amex, which I have heard described by Prem fans as "the tourists". I could be wrong but I witnessed a crowd of Asian people at the QPR game lining up for photographs with the ground as the background holding in front of them a complete long strip of tickets. How they get the tickets I'm not sure.

Were they Japanese? Culturally, they seem to record every aspect of their lives anyway, but they could be rugby fans celebrating a visit to the rugby shrine where Japan beat South Africa in the Rugby World Cup.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Lets get this clear you all agree TB deserves to get his money back yet begrudge the opportunity for extra money going to the club from newbies? bit short sighted guys.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think there is another type that has started to turn up at the Amex, which I have heard described by Prem fans as "the tourists". I could be wrong but I witnessed a crowd of Asian people at the QPR game lining up for photographs with the ground as the background holding in front of them a complete long strip of tickets. How they get the tickets I'm not sure.

Known as "The Tourists"? You mean tourists? Don't really have a problem with that. When abroad I make a point of trying to get tickets to a football match or some other kind of game/match. Part of the trip innit.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Why? Surely it's no worse than someone going from Worthing, Lewes, Eastbourne, Horsham, Crawley, etc down to Brighton? Those people too have turned their backs on their local clubs in order to support a bigger one. And every single one of the, perfectly valid, reasons they can give for choosing to support Brighton over their local team are exactly the same reasons as people give when asked why they support London Prem sides and not Brighton.

It seems the 'you should support your local club' rule only goes one way.

Years ago when we were still scrubbing about in the basement leagues my Man United supporting mate (from Blackpool) realised that I was actually from Lewes, not Brighton and attempted to call me a glory seeker. It was in jest as an attempt to prevent the merciless grief I constantly gave him about supporting the scum instead of his local team, but still.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Re the OP. We've really got nothing to worry about have we. The stadium is nearly sold out for most home games already so where are all these JCFLs going to get their tickets from?

Palace we are not.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
The op is right.

A bloke I know has been saying now for 2 years that if 'we' go up he'll get a season ticket.

Funniest bit though was when he asked me where to get one from.:lol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seriously,there could be anything from 5-10,000 extra fans attending if we gain promotion,that's a lot of "lost" revenue,that said,who really cares.

And where are they going to sit? Perhaps a beamback ot the concourse outside the stadium!!!!

Seriously though, I agree that there will be surge on the fan database and that's down to the club how they market/milk that as potentially another 10k of shirts to sell etc.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I did the Withdean years and I welcome them. Bring your wallets.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here