Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree and Sanchez can play with his feet. Someone mentioned earlier, Steele is a great keeper as long as he Doesn’t have to make saves!
Really harsh. Saved us against United. Sanchez has had a few howlers as well.

It happens. I am certain a number of the outfield players made mistakes tonight as well….
Mitoma first goal.
Pervis positionally on the second….

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If you know how it's calculated, why did you say the difference is only the keeper? Because that's wrong.

No. Yet again you are showing that you don't understand xG. You could have an xG of over 3 and fail to get one shot on target.

That's not too say Pickford didn't make any good saves, but don't claim that the xG is proof that he did.
No I do understand xG and I know full well that an xG of 2+ can theoretically still mean no shots on target.

However, I also have a very good understanding of probability and how it plays out true over a reasonable number of scenarios - in this case goal scoring opportunities. An xG of 2-3 will nearly always involve a good number of shots on target.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No I do understand xG and I know full well that an xG of 2+ can theoretically still mean no shots on target.

Good - then stop claiming that the xG is somehow proof that the only difference between the sides was the keepers.

However, I also have a very good understanding of probability and how it plays out true over a reasonable number of scenarios - in this case goal scoring opportunities. An xG of 2-3 will nearly always involve a good number of shots on target.

Some shots will miss the target, some will go close to the keeper - Everton managed to get their shots on target whilst being hard to save. Are you seriously trying to suggest that our strikers shot as well today as Everton's?

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
When the opposition team don’t press, as was the case today, then Steele’s better passing is pretty much irrelevant. Sanchez may have been a fit for today. But that’s said with hindsight.
Very good point. Steele has been great recently, but for me that's his worst game for us.
I know the two hits at the near post were great strikes but could his positioning be questioned and may have other keepers kept them out?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I’ve just watched the lowlights too as I thought I may have been missing something. I can only criticise Steele for the 3rd goal. Really unfair and embarrassing comments about him on this thread. In my opinion obviously.
You can't criticise Steele, sure, they were good shots. And he's only facing them because the rest of the team didn't play well. But I still think that Sanchez would have saved Doucoure's second, because I've seen him make saves like that for a couple of years. We probably would still have lost, but it could also have been 0-1 at half time and a very different game.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just wow at people trying to find a scapegoat for this game. Of course he can do better for the third but I don't see Sanchez doing any better on the rest.

If we want to start pointing fingers let's start with Mitoma. Totally off the boil at the moment with revealing body language and poor decision making. Where was Macca on the second goal? Where were Gross and to a lesser extent Dunk when closing their bloke down on the fifth goal?

And now we know that RDZ is fallible what with the team selection. Enciso had to start and we can only presume that he was still worried about Ferguson as the Undav experiment has to end. Model pro, nice bloke and all that but simply not up to this level particularly with his ball control.

It was a freakish result based on every goal being a counter attack and hardly anyone having a good game. A bad day at the office and probably losing March for remainder of season was the kick in the teeth.

How we respond to this defeat will really tell us where we are and just maybe we were getting too confident and lapping up the praise.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Just wow at people trying to find a scapegoat for this game. Of course he can do better for the third but I don't see Sanchez doing any better on the rest.

If we want to start pointing fingers let's start with Mitoma. Totally off the boil at the moment with revealing body language and poor decision making. Where was Macca on the second goal? Where were Gross and to a lesser extent Dunk when closing their bloke down on the fifth goal?

And now we know that RDZ is fallible what with the team selection. Enciso had to start and we can only presume that he was still worried about Ferguson as the Undav experiment has to end. Model pro, nice bloke and all that but simply not up to this level particularly with his ball control.

It was a freakish result based on every goal being a counter attack and hardly anyone having a good game. A bad day at the office and probably losing March for remainder of season was the kick in the teeth.

How we respond to this defeat will really tell us where we are and just maybe we were getting too confident and lapping up the praise.
I don't think everyone is trying to find a scapegoat, just giving an honest assessment on a players performance in the same way he was praised for previous performances. If I performance review my staff, there will be some good and some not so good observations and we find what they need to work on. Praise the good and highlight the not so good which has been done across the Steele thread.
I see no issues with opinions as long as its not always jumping over negatives.
Other posts reference other players, this post is about Steele (who i think is a model professional btw) and I don't see him being singled out if you look at other threads that mention other players (good and bad).
The team have been brilliant almost all season, wonderful times as an Albion Fan, but today they were very poor with the exception of those that came on that is. I'm sure Roberto said the same hence locking them in the dressing room.
As long as the venting isn't at them during the game then I don't see the issue.

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I’ve just watched the lowlights too as I thought I may have been missing something. I can only criticise Steele for the 3rd goal. Really unfair and embarrassing comments about him on this thread. In my opinion obviously.
The only obvious mistake was the third. But aside from the first, the 2nd, 4th and 5th goals are all goals a top division keeper would look at and think they should do better with. And I do think Sanchez saves at least 2 of them, although that’s all hypothetical.

But therein lies one of Steele’s biggest weaknesses (alongside the apparent lack of organisation and the fact that he doesn’t dominate his box) - he never makes saves unless they’re right at him.

I’ll continue to support him as long as he’s picked, as I do every player. But I’m really struggling to see how he gets in this side ahead of Sanchez.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Which bit? Like I said, it's very hard to argue with numbers.
I’ve just watched the highlights with my own eyes so it’s very easy to argue with the numbers. Steele had little chance for 3 goals so we lose regardless of what he did for the other two. I dont think one of our efforts were anywhere near as easy as four of theirs.

Those not understanding why he gets picked over Sanchez must have visual impairments and completely failed to notice how many goals and chances we have created as a result of his ability to pick passes into midfield that Sanchez lacks the ability to deliver.

Graham Entwhistle

Sep 24, 2013
Saving the children
Greetings ladies and gentlemen of NSC. It has been many years since I have frequented your wonderful board, yet, I thought I would drop in to check on young Jason and see how he is getting on?

A confidence player certainly, who gave us nightmares at SAFC, however, I have been pleasantly surprised to see him getting minutes in the EPL with you. Always seemed like a great person. An OG last night though, which prompted my musings.

All the best to you for the rest of the season, I hope you snatch that place in Europe 🤝

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve just watched the highlights with my own eyes so it’s very easy to argue with the numbers. Steele had little chance for 3 goals so we lose regardless of what he did for the other two. I dont think one of our efforts were anywhere near as easy as four of theirs.

Those not understanding why he gets picked over Sanchez must have visual impairments and completely failed to notice how many goals and chances we have created as a result of his ability to pick passes into midfield that Sanchez lacks the ability to deliver.
Even watching the og back, McNeil is in so much space, if JS does cover the near post better it’s a simple square ball for a tap in. We were quite simply all over the shop that first half.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

The arrogance in this post. No one is denying that Steele is better with the ball at his feet than Sanchez. I’m certainly not. And the numbers back that up.

But many of us are questioning whether he’s a better all round keeper. I certainly don’t think he is. We seem a lot less certain defensively with him in goal, he certainly doesn’t claim as many crosses, and he doesn’t make anything beyond basic saves. Which is fine if RDZ cares more for ball playing ability than these characteristics, but many of us don’t feel like that. I personally feel a lot less comfortable about us defensively with Steele in goal and our defenders seem to make a lot more mistakes with him there.

But then again, I do have a visual impairment so my opinion is clearly less valuable than yours.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Even watching the og back, McNeil is in so much space, if JS does cover the near post better it’s a simple square ball for a tap in. We were quite simply all over the shop that first half.
Is it not a goalkeeper’s job in part to organise his defence?

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Is it not a goalkeeper’s job in part to organise his defence?
Is it not a defenders job to know their position?

communication is key all over the pitch. Not just from the goalkeeper.

I’m not saying Steele had a particularly good game yesterday and could have done better with 3 of the goals but everything Everton touched went in. It happened to us against Wolves.

Steele has been solid of late. Really unfair to pin last night on him alone.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Really chuffed for the guy he got a run of games. Don’t think the video’ born again’ on the club website did him any favours- he seems fragile.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Easy to criticise when things aren't going to plan I know, however I do think that Steele offers opponents more of an opportunity at the near post, than many top keepers. He made a very good and important save early on against Man Utd with his legs, but positionally he doesn't get that close to the post, which seems to invite strikers to have a go.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Oh how easily we forget him dropping the ball at Selhurst Park, for a tap in.
No one has forgotten that, and at the moment his entire Albion career seems to be being defined by that howler. However, everyone seems to have forgotten that Sanchez has made a number of incredible saves over the last 3 seasons - the sort that you just could not have imagined Steele making.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here