Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele signs new deal

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I can't think of one - he is incredibly consistent... and I suspect that's why he's earnt the new contract.

Well done JS - useful squad player, exemplary attitude.
True. What other senior player was content to wait as long for first team minutes?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You could see how well liked he was at the end of last season where we guaranteed Europe- the celebrations in the dressing room
Compared to Sunday when Lallana said the dressing room atmosphere was flat
'He excelled and made 15 Premier League appearances as we secured our best top-tier finish of sixth, as well as qualifying for European competition for the first time.'

Yeah, ok then... :facepalm:
You can’t disagree with that yet it goes back to my original point we scored plenty in the majority of those games. Southampton was looking dodgy two shots two goals from them a lucky offside gave us a win. It’s the amount of shots at goal ratio that teams score from that is worrying. Fulham’s goal wasn’t in the corner and he was nowhere near it.
So the outfield players not taking their chances – or Leno making saves – is Steele's fault? I get your point, but it's not quite as simple as that, surely.

Anyway, great news – love the fella :thumbsup:
I always look at the clean sheet stat which there hasn’t been very many under JS. I can think off two since he’s come in off the top of my head.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I’m really happy about this. He’s a competent goalie. But, more so he ‘gets’ it
he fills me with confidence
and RDZ loves him. Enough for me.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Well deserved. Plenty of top saves here for those that need their selective memories jogging

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You can’t disagree with that yet it goes back to my original point we scored plenty in the majority of those games. Southampton was looking dodgy two shots two goals from them a lucky offside gave us a win. It’s the amount of shots at goal ratio that teams score from that is worrying. Fulham’s goal wasn’t in the corner and he was nowhere near it.

I always look at the clean sheet stat which there hasn’t been very many under JS. I can think off two since he’s come in off the top of my head.

We had 12 PL clean sheets last season, joint 6th best. Steele’s 16 PL game stint in last season’s run-in included clean sheets against:
West Ham
Palarse
Bmuff
Wolves
ManU
Arsenal

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Steele's career is testimony to his mettle and I hope he forges ahead.

It wasn’t a lucky offside…it was an offside. You’re either offside or you’re not.

As for your “original point” yes we did score plenty more than the opposition but Steele’s footwork plays a part in this; he literally has assists to his name. RDZ’s keep-possession-and-entice-the-opposition game is very high risk but he feels, on balance, it gives us the best opportunity to win games. It’s the same with the goalkeeper, he’s arguably better with his feet than his hands but on balance, this also gives us the best opportunity to win games. Roberto has been proven right so far.

If you “always look at the clean sheet stat” then maybe Roberto isn’t the person for you?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It wasn’t a lucky offside…it was an offside. You’re either offside or you’re not.

As for your “original point” yes we did score plenty more than the opposition but Steele’s footwork plays a part in this; he literally has assists to his name. RDZ’s keep-possession-and-entice-the-opposition game is very high risk but he feels, on balance, it gives us the best opportunity to win games. It’s the same with the goalkeeper, he’s arguably better with his feet than his hands but on balance, this also gives us the best opportunity to win games. Roberto has been proven right so far.

If you “always look at the clean sheet stat” then maybe Roberto isn’t the person for you?
Really? Pervis was onside at Palace, Diaz was onside at Spurs I’m sticking with lucky with this lot of officials in charge.

I get what you’re saying about Steele although it’s like having half a keeper. Good with his feet most of time yet most shots on target end up in the onion bag. Roberto said himself after Ajax he’s been waiting a very long time for a clean sheet so are you saying he doesn’t care about it?
If also seems strange to have the Dutch international keeper on the bench that cost us best part of £20m but what do I know.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Really? Pervis was onside at Palace, Diaz was onside at Spurs I’m sticking with lucky with this lot of officials in charge.

I get what you’re saying about Steele although it’s like having half a keeper. Good with his feet most of time yet most shots on target end up in the onion bag. Roberto said himself after Ajax he’s been waiting a very long time for a clean sheet so are you saying he doesn’t care about it?
If also seems strange to have the Dutch international keeper on the bench that cost us best part of £20m but what do I know.
But Bart as promising as he is, has not had the best of starts in some respects.

A little ponderous with the ball, and if your thing is shot stopping, also been beaten in a similar manner to Steele.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It was clearly and correcty called as offside. Where does the luck come into this? You will have to explain this.

I am sure he would like to have clean sheets, to suggest otherwise is silly. That said, I have no idea how much he actually cares about this; it's clearly not his main consideration.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If I’m to get this right by looking at this thread, 99% of people are happy with Steele. Case dismissed.
Think this is right, but equally it’s ok to point out where some improvement could be seen. Some of his ’pure‘ GK stats don’t compare well with others, but that has to be balanced as part of the wider JS we get. Specifically in terms of ‘expected saves’, he’s well down the list of PL keepers, and actually bottom of the PSxG-GA ‘table’ (explanation below - but would I swap him for Sa ? Not in a million years)

IMG_6418.png

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

According to the stats sites we've faced 32 shots on target when Jason Steele has been playing (PL games only), he's let in 12 and saved 20 of those shots (6 of those goals against coming in one disastrous game). If those stats are correct then he's saving over 60% of shots he's facing, which means most shots on target are not going in. Yes he isn't high in the save percentage table this season but he's currently above recently crowned worlds best goalkeeper Emiliano Martínez.

I'm sure RDZ was delighted with the clean sheet against Ajax, but he no doubt realises that clean sheets are down to more than just the goalkeeper (in the same way that goals let in are down to more than 1 player, and goals scored aren't just because of a single player either).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
According to the stats sites we've faced 32 shots on target when Jason Steele has been playing (PL games only), he's let in 12 and saved 20 of those shots (6 of those goals against coming in one disastrous games). If those stats are correct then he's saving over 60% of shots he's facing, which means most shots on target are not going in. Yes he isn't high in the save percentage table this season but he's currently above recently crowned worlds best goalkeeper Emiliano Martínez.

I'm sure RDZ was delighted with the clean sheet against Ajax, but he no doubt realises that clean sheets are down to more than just the goalkeeper (in the same way that goals let in are down to more than 1 player, and goals scored aren't just because of a single player either).
IMG_6419.jpeg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to the stats sites we've faced 32 shots on target when Jason Steele has been playing (PL games only), he's let in 12 and saved 20 of those shots (6 of those goals against coming in one disastrous game). If those stats are correct then he's saving over 60% of shots he's facing, which means most shots on target are not going in. Yes he isn't high in the save percentage table this season but he's currently above recently crowned worlds best goalkeeper Emiliano Martínez.

2 of those 6 goals have since been said should’ve been disallowed.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It was clearly and correcty called as offside. Where does the luck come into this? You will have to explain this.

I am sure he would like to have clean sheets, to suggest otherwise is silly. That said, I have no idea how much he actually cares about this; it's clearly not his main consideration.
You know even with VAR offsides aren’t always correctly called. On this occasion they got it correct although it could of gone a against us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You know even with VAR offsides aren’t always correctly called. On this occasion they got it correct although it could of gone a against us.
You're conflating two different arguments now.

The fact of the matter is the Soton offside was correctly called. You cannot argue this was lucky because it was not inccorrectly called. If we go down this route then I can say all of the goals conceded by Steele were lucky because they were not (incorrectly) called as fouls or offsides :shrug:

I get your point about Steele, this is a matter of opinion. But a goal which is correctly ruled as offside is not a lucky offside. It's offside. Period.

PS as it is Friday I will overlook your use of of instead of have

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We had 12 PL clean sheets last season, joint 6th best. Steele’s 16 PL game stint in last season’s run-in included clean sheets against:
West Ham
Palarse
Bmuff
Wolves
ManU
Arsenal
And the fact that there haven't been any(?) clean sheets in the league so far is OBVIOUSLY down to Steele. Not the fact that the defenders/defensive players have left, plus the fact that there have been injury/form issues with defenders/defensive players.

CLEARLY it's 100% the fault of our Jase...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think it’s clear at this point that I’m not a big fan of Steele. For all his strengths with the ball, he doesn’t do a lot of the conventional goalkeeping particularly well, and we’re conceding a lot of goals with him between the sticks.

But I appreciate that RDZ wants his attributes with the ball at his feet and rates him for what he can do rather than what he can’t do. So I’m happy for him.

That won’t make me more comfortable with having him as our goalkeeper though.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

This season, we are scoring 2.3 goals per game and conceding 1.9 goals per game. 0 clean sheets. We are 7th in the league with 17 points.

Crystal Palace (ew) are scoring 0.8 goals per game and conceding 1.3 goals per game. 4 clean sheets. They are 13th in the league with 12 points.

Obviously clean sheets are good but it is not really a stat that is indicative of the goalkeeper. The more expansive and attacking you are, the more likely you will score but at the same time, more likely to conceded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here