[Albion] Jason Steele signs new deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Di Zerbi said in January when he signed a new contract
“Jason is a very important part of the team. He is one of the senior voices in the dressing room and is really well respected by his teammates.
“I am happy that he has committed his future here, he understands my idea and has been excellent for me since I joined.”

Whereas today all we got was...ha ha.
"“I’m very pleased for Jason. He’s a great player.”

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
'He excelled and made 15 Premier League appearances as we secured our best top-tier finish of sixth, as well as qualifying for European competition for the first time.'

Yeah, ok then... :facepalm:
Now compare his stats to the best goalies in the premier League. That's like saying Maguire is a top 3 CB because man u finished 3rd last season.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Good for him. But really hope verbruggen starts giving him some competition soon as he's not a top half epl goalie.
He's spent the equivalent of half a season now being pretty much our first choice keeper. We've finished 6th and now are 7th in the PL. He's very much a top half goalkeeper. Admittedly he might struggle at other clubs, but nowhere near as much as some might think, but in our setup there won't be many better for what RDZ wants.

If he was that bad we wouldn't be challenging for a top half finish again. You saw last season with Leicester what happens when you don't have a decent keeper as Ward was a huge step down from Kasper Schmeichel and they plummeted.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Now compare his stats to the best goalies in the premier League. That's like saying Maguire is a top 3 CB because man u finished 3rd last season.
Nah, I'll just look at the league table from the end of last season – where Brighton finished as a 'top half epl' team – and the current standings – again, in the top half.

So he LITERALLY is a 'top half epl goalie'.

The comparison with Maguire is bullshit. There are multiple defenders in a team, whereas Steele's performances helped get the team to sixth place and the club is currently in the top half.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So the outfield players not taking their chances – or Leno making saves – is Steele's fault? I get your point, but it's not quite as simple as that, surely.

Anyway, great news – love the fella :thumbsup:
He has an issue saving shots that aren’t directly at him, for me he’s always to slow in the reaction. When is the last time he dug out a top class save to win us a game because I really can’t remember. For all Sanchez’s faults with the ball at his feet he was by far the better shot stopper.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I would imagine his salary is relatively low for a regular starter in the Premier League. However, this contract extension gives him and his family financial security.
What’s overlooked at times is the fact that the other players seem to love him and his positive, team orientated attitude.
He’s a decent shot stopper and great with his feet which is vital for The way we play under Roberto.
You could see how well liked he was at the end of last season where we guaranteed Europe- the celebrations in the dressing room

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Nah, I'll just look at the league table from the end of last season – where Brighton finished as a 'top half epl' team – and the current standings – again, in the top half.

So he LITERALLY is a 'top half epl goalie'.

The comparison with Maguire is bullshit. There are multiple defenders in a team, whereas Steele's performances helped get the team to sixth place and the club is currently in the top half.
Agree to disagree.

End of the day Steele has been a reserve championship goalie for most of his career. And would be a reserve Brighton goalie if it wasn't for RDZ. And I'm convinced no other team in the top half of the epl would take him as their first choice.

We need better to solidify our position in top 8.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
He has an issue saving shots that aren’t directly at him, for me he’s always to slow in the reaction. When is the last time he dug out a top class save to win us a game because I really can’t remember. For all Sanchez’s faults with the ball at his feet he was by far the better shot stopper.
Can't remember which recent match it was but Warren made him his MOTM so can't be as bad as some on here make out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good news. Clearly a key part of the squad and a good keeper who suits our system perfectly.

Some of the criticism he's received this season and posts saying he should have saved this or that goal are ridiculous and clueless.
Maybe I'm wrong but in truth I can only remember one or two "clueless" posts suggesting he should have saved goals that 80% of keepers wouldn't have saved.

I think it's perfectly fair for people to criticise the second goal in Marseille or the third at home to AEK (and there are probably others). They both went right through him. The trade off is that he's outstanding with his feet, but I guess some people value the traditional aspects of a keeper's game (although I'm not one of them tbh).

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Steele seems a very good guy and is well loved in the dressing room. Brilliant with his feet (could he be the answer to our left back problem? 🤣) but not the best shot stopper. However RDZ rates him and that is all that matters at the mo. Personally i would like to see more of Bart to see if he is a top keeper!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Sadly he was rubbish with his feet & always had a clanger in him (like dropping a cross et
Maybe I'm wrong but in truth I can only remember one or two "clueless" posts suggesting he should have saved goals that 80% of keepers wouldn't have saved.

I think it's perfectly fair for people to criticise the second goal in Marseille or the third at home to AEK (and there are probably others). They both went right through him. The trade off is that he's outstanding with his feet, but I guess some people value the traditional aspects of a keeper's game (although I'm not one of them tbh).
The aek 3rd goal? Where it was 1 on 1 & he saved it, only for the rebound to hit the players knee & end up in the corner of the goal. I thought he was really unlucky there!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The aek 3rd goal? Where it was 1 on 1 & he saved it, only for the rebound to hit the players knee & end up in the corner of the goal. I thought he was really unlucky there!
Yes possibly (although looking at it again now, it came back onto his foot not his knee). The point I'm making is that he does give away the odd soft goal and he shouldn't be immune from criticism because of that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Jason Steele has further committed his future to the club, having signed a new extended contract that runs until June 2026.

Men’s first-team head coach Roberto De Zerbi said, “I’m very pleased for Jason. He’s a great player.”

Technical director David Weir added, “Jason is key player for us, on and off the pitch. His attitude, leadership and what he brings to this club every day has been a massive part of our progress throughout his time here.

“I am thrilled that his loyalty and patience is now paying off, and that we have extended his stay with us through until at least June 2026.”

The former Middlesbrough, Blackburn Rovers and Sunderland keeper has made 39 appearances for the club, keeping 14 clean sheets in the process.

Jason made his Albion debut in an Emirates FA Cup third round tie at AFC Bournemouth in January 2019, and made his Premier League debut at Villa Park in November 2021.

Having been a key member of the squad, and respected senior player for Albion for four-and-a-half seasons, Roberto saw his strengths and promoted him as his regular keeper for the second half of the 2022/23 season.

He excelled and made 15 Premier League appearances as we secured our best top-tier finish of sixth, as well as qualifying for European competition for the first time.

This season he has played nine times across all competitions, alongside summer arrival Bart Verbruggen.
Congratulations Jason, all round top bloke.

Dont underestimate your presence/leasership and enthusiasm on the younger lads nor your world class ability with ball at feet.

Here's hoping for a few more saves!

UTA

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

There were a few on Sunday saying he should have saved that which he had no chance with. Every goalkeeper will make the odd mistake and let in ones they might have done better with but overall I don't think he makes any more than any other keeper playing for teams at our level. The thread that then followed Sunday's game about him was ludicrous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports